Pentax

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Aug 29, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If there's one camera company that I don't understand, it has to be Pentax. Pentax has been around just about as long as any other camera manufacturer, with a respected history (I still own a Pentax MX) and, I understand, it has a pretty loyal fan base. I haven't ever used a Pentax DSLR, but I understand that they are quite good; however, for the life of me I can't take them seriously, I look at them as the Hello Kitty of the camera world. And rather than try and dispel such notions, they keep coming up with more camera iterations that cement this thought in my mind. Is this what photographers really needed, especially those LEDs?

Why not add musical tones as well, or allow users to load their own music for each feature, which can play in sequence with the LEDs? That ought to show the other manufacturers a thing or two.

And I couldn't but help this one:

'...we will never rest, until our good is better and our better, best.' Apologies to Furphy.

It was a slow day.:biggrin:

2. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Ghastly looking things...Saying that the pentax k5iis and K7 i owned were the best built and nicest handling DSLR i ever owned.....dust and water resistant..NO QUESTION!.....shame I couldn't afford the premium lenses to go with them...I also cannot understand why one would need such a colour choice?....surely a camera is a camera , do these folk buy many colours to suit their outfit?

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I like the colours of the cameras and the Pentax DSLR I had for a short time was quite but I the 50mm AF was more than most others on the used market by a significant margin. The colours of them makes it look like you are not serious so it could be good on the street, for the life of me I can't workout the Knight Rider LED's though what need is there for that? But their plastics look really cheep, unlike say the G3 in red I have or the EPM2 in white, it looks more like the plastic you will get out of a cracker.

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think they are done to appeal to parts of the market that are into the cute cartoon characters like Hello Kitty(?) opposed to those who just want a camera, that being said I am not a fan of black cameras and quite like the Panasonic red and blue bodies I like people if they see me photographing thinking its more of a clown camera than a serious tool.

5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    You should check out the bling accents popular in east Asia for mobile phones. This is an extension.

You (we) are not the target audience and won't get it :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Phone's i get it...goes with the facebook /TWITS and like the selfie thread(please look at how good my life is and how interesting i am)...but same again bright colours scream look at me..as for flashing lights , wont they be covered by fingers anyway???
    BTW i did own a red gf2 for a short while...not because i liked colour..it was cheap like me!

7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    And the bright colours screen Im not serious about photography and people are not so bothered by you, sometimes the most outlandish thing is the best camouflage.

8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    You could even claim its a camera of an Artist's camera.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en5z-Q4po4M

Kind of like the Df.
    Doesn't stand out like mounting a telephoto on a black pro body. No accusations from insecure and overly sensitive people. Why of course, you're just like one of them, just another anti-conformity conformist. Nothing professional about it at all, no giant telephoto lens, no black body for hiding under a trenchcoat. Nope, just like a fashion accessory of a cellphone.

Better put my < /sarcasm> tag here.

It isn't like Pentax hasn't had a history of making cameras in lots and lots of colors:
    http://dmnnewswire.digitalmedianet....lable-for-Pre-Order-at-BH-Photo-Video-2651961

9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    You think the body is atrocious? Wait till you see the jpeg output!

• Like Like x 1
  10. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I thought it was quite an overt marketing position that Pentax is the mass appeal brand while Ricoh is for more serious photographers.

Ricoh obviously see value in the Pentax brand for less discerning customers; for example SpecSavers (in the UK) sell their commodity grade spectacle lenses under the Pentax label. And SpecSavers is positioned at the low end of High Street opticians.

However, only a few years go AUDI introduced a strip of LEDs in place of traditional side lights and now almost every car manufacturer copies them. Maybe we need LED on the front of our cameras?

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    they wouldn't keep making them in all those Skittles colors if they weren't selling.

the brown one is kinda dope. Like a chocolate camera. Mmmmmmmm...... chocolate.

• Like Like x 2
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm a long time Pentax/Asahi/Takumar shooter/collector and it pains me to see what has happened to the brand over the last few decades. Bad decisions dating back to the ME-F and being late to market in almost everything afterwards. I personally couldn't be caught with the bright orange camera.

But... obviously Ricoh sees a market for these colorful cameras. I try not to judge the products by what I know only in my local market and with my aging perspective; obviously there is a younger market out there that wants products that go beyond just the functional. Photography is no longer the niche product aimed at a mature consumer but rather a wider market of consumers. Its no longer the "boutique" product that it once was.... its sales counter no longer in camera shops but rather the shelves of the typical consumer/department store (here in the US, BestBuy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc).

As someone who tries to keep one foot in the traditional (I love old quality stuff of the past) I am also one who is firmly rooted in technology. Emerging innovations often look "odd" and "undefined" in the beginning... I'm willing to accept that. What I'm not willing to accept is stagnation.

One could argue that Pentax took a bolder step (K01, colorful cameras, LEDs, the cameras pictured in OP) in their lineup than Olympus which has a tendency to release the same product in a different skin year after year... ahem the EPL7.

• Like Like x 1
  13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think that Oly is reliant on new tech to make another jump forwards, the EPL7 is more of a refinement of the EPL5 and like the small differences between this and last years car it is something they somewhat have to do, if you are in the market for a new camera then its a fairly decent choice. Pentax made some great cameras in the past, I was not keen on the interface of the ME and other push button cams but some of the MZ series were nice AF cameras and especially as they were not much bigger than the ME, smaller than the competition, I used an MZ20 and MZ5 for most of the 90's.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I remember seeing a picture of a rack of colorful Pentax Kx in blister packs in Japan. That's when I really realized that these were aimed at much younger folks. I know my daughter (27) got all excited when she realized the refurb E-PM1 came in pink and purple. That whole group has no desire for the black camera. Increasingly, a pink DSLR stands out far less than the so called stealthy black bodies. We old dudes may like them just fine, but we have to start realizing that black is just a different aesthetic choice.

15. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    HHMMM...I wonder if the resale value(ebay) of said colours is as high as traditional models....hopefully they can only produce small numbers , otherwise inventory would be full of the less desirable colours...surefire way to go bust (my opinion)I always thought PENTAX was the respected brand not Ricoh...didnt pentax learn anything from K 01 lego brick...almost instantly on fire sale

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Resale is definitely harder because it's one more thing you may dislike. But for most folks resale value is not a sales criterion.

17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I did notice that with some of the Panasonic G's the coloured models went for more on Ebay, but then less sold in the first place so there are less, it seems that apart from white Pens Oly and Pana have dropped colours so maybe they have not sold as many as they thought. Must admit to liking the white bodies though but then I have always gone for the chrome over black too, odd as I tend to just wear black.

• Like Like x 1
  18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I want to get the orange one and get pictures published using it. Just because.

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think young individuals that love these colored cameras will

1) Not iterate as often through cameras as we do that consider photography a passion (not driven by performance of the next best sensor, try out different types of cameras, and probably don't have the will to dedicate $$$ to it)

2) Not be as concern about resale value

No more than resale value is a factor when the latest handbag , shoes, or clothing hits the shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As a long-time Pentaxian, I have to say you guys right about being aghast at the K-S1 - but you're missing the point about what's really wrong with this camera. Ricoh's stated mission for this camera is to appeal to those used to working with "mobile interfaces." So it's not for the traditional photographer. And that's fine. It's good to try to expand one's customer base. Bright colors are the least of my problems with the K-S1 (and they go over big in the home market of Japan - don't bother trying to figure it out).

What concerns me is that this new camera appears to represent muddled thinking and/or a half-hearted effort. No touchscreen? No native wifi? Exactly what mobile-interface user (i.e. cell-phone shooter) will be interested in this? Given Ricoh's stated mission for the K-S1, I honestly don't understand how the company thinks this is a finished product.

And, to be totally honest, this camera has me wondering about the future of Pentax for the first time. Until now, I had been telling my fellow Pentaxians to be patient and wait a few years until Ricoh gets its act together and begins producing the good stuff.

Again, it's fine if this camera isn't for me. But the K-S1 demonstrates that Ricoh doesn't have a clue about next-generation anything (or cynically thinks it can pass this off on "mobile interface" users) and hints at a frightening line of thinking in terms of product development. After seeing this, what do we think we can expect from another try at mirrorless by the company?

I just have to shake my head in amazement and confusion about what's going on at Ricoh/Pentax.

• Like Like x 2