Pentax SMC 50mm f2 lens on E-P1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WaterDog, Jan 27, 2010.

1. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I did a few studio shots the other day and thought to try my Pentax SMC 50mm f2 lens on the E-P1 (using the Voigtländer m4/3 adapter). Manual focus was done using the 7x magnification on the eyes.

ISO100, 1/125s, f5.6
    [​IMG]

Eye crop, 1:1 - her eyes look really sharp, but some fine strands of hair are starting to go
    [​IMG]

2. WaterDog

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I forgot to mention that the above 1:1 crop is from the RAW image, with no sharpening applied. When I checked the JPEG that the camera creates, the fine hair detail is a bit smoother, but not by a lot.

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Great image! Where did you get the adapter? i keep seeing SMC pentax lenses quite cheap on the bay so fancy getting a 50mm. Not sure on what the fitting is called.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Pentax is called the K mount. Older lenses were the universal m42 or screwmount, which you can also purchase an m4/3 adapter for through the various ebay sellers.

If you are serious about getting a pentax lens to try (specifically a 50mm) go for a 50mm Pentax-M F1.7. This lens doesn't have the A setting, and will therefore be cheaper. It is also considered to be a sharper lens than the F2 (used above) when used wide open.

Since Pentax's current DSLRs are compatible with pretty every lens they have ever made, the A lenses (Pentax-A, which communicate aperture...but not through an m4/3 adapter!) are much more in demand since they still work perfectly well on their current cameras. So it makes sense to buy the Pentax-M version, which still has the aperture ring of course, but is take a little more work to use on Pentax's current camera lineup (though they do work in M mode with the press of a button, and are still sought after to a lesser degree).

I was about to say don't pay more than $40 for one (it had been awhile since I've looked!), but see on ebay they go for $50-60, still a good value and the optics/build pretty much define the term workhorse when it comes to Pentax.

Edit: I am dying to get my adapter from the nether regions of China, ordered 2 weeks ago so hopefully any day now!

• Like Like x 2
  6. WaterDog

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks! The adapter is the Voigtländer Pentax K-mount (bayonet) to m4/3 adapter. Here is my posting about it: Voigtländer Pentax K adapter on E-P1

Locally in Toronto Big Camera Workshops and Harry's Pro Shop are both Voigtländer dealers. I paid CA$169 + taxes (£99 or US$158). I see Robert White is a UK Voigtländer dealer. I'm not sure how these prices compare to eBay or from China.