1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pentax SMC 50mm f2 lens on E-P1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WaterDog, Jan 27, 2010.

1. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I did a few studio shots the other day and thought to try my Pentax SMC 50mm f2 lens on the E-P1 (using the Voigtländer m4/3 adapter). Manual focus was done using the 7x magnification on the eyes.

ISO100, 1/125s, f5.6
    jordi1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eye crop, 1:1 - her eyes look really sharp, but some fine strands of hair are starting to go
    jordi1-eyecrop.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    I forgot to mention that the above 1:1 crop is from the RAW image, with no sharpening applied. When I checked the JPEG that the camera creates, the fine hair detail is a bit smoother, but not by a lot.

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great shot

4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Great image! Where did you get the adapter? i keep seeing SMC pentax lenses quite cheap on the bay so fancy getting a 50mm. Not sure on what the fitting is called.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Pentax is called the K mount. Older lenses were the universal m42 or screwmount, which you can also purchase an m4/3 adapter for through the various ebay sellers.

If you are serious about getting a pentax lens to try (specifically a 50mm) go for a 50mm Pentax-M F1.7. This lens doesn't have the A setting, and will therefore be cheaper. It is also considered to be a sharper lens than the F2 (used above) when used wide open.

Since Pentax's current DSLRs are compatible with pretty every lens they have ever made, the A lenses (Pentax-A, which communicate aperture...but not through an m4/3 adapter!) are much more in demand since they still work perfectly well on their current cameras. So it makes sense to buy the Pentax-M version, which still has the aperture ring of course, but is take a little more work to use on Pentax's current camera lineup (though they do work in M mode with the press of a button, and are still sought after to a lesser degree).

I was about to say don't pay more than $40 for one (it had been awhile since I've looked!), but see on ebay they go for $50-60, still a good value and the optics/build pretty much define the term workhorse when it comes to Pentax.

Edit: I am dying to get my adapter from the nether regions of China, ordered 2 weeks ago so hopefully any day now!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WaterDog

WaterDog Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks! The adapter is the Voigtländer Pentax K-mount (bayonet) to m4/3 adapter. Here is my posting about it: Voigtländer Pentax K adapter on E-P1

Locally in Toronto Big Camera Workshops and Harry's Pro Shop are both Voigtländer dealers. I paid CA$169 + taxes (£99 or US$158). I see Robert White is a UK Voigtländer dealer. I'm not sure how these prices compare to eBay or from China.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.