Pentax shows the way: Swivel screen for everyone :)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pake, Feb 18, 2016.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Pentax K-1 seems to be quite the camera. I think the best part may be this:

Olympus could study this design and improve it a bit (no visible cords, strengthen it a bit etc.) and we have a winner. No more endless fighting over which is better: swivel or tilt screen.

Thank you Pentax but please don't ruin it for others with patents. :biggrin:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The big question is: does it do selfies?
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

As a former heavily invested Pentax shooter, I have to admit to a bit of lust over this one. Then I remember that I sold my K-5ii and all my lenses because the weight was killing me and the feeling passes. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Interesting looking contraption. I wonder how sturdy it is?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Most of the first impressions of the camera by sites that handled the camera ranged from ambivalent to negative. There are dirt and grit issues with the small, open slides and ribbon cable running from the body to display. This is probably a camera that only current Pentax users, with K mount lens collections have been waiting for.
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Pentax has a stellar reputation for building tough, weather-resistant cameras and lenses. I would be surprised if this new mechanism did not meet this high standard.
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know. I'm of the opinion that simplicity is the best kind of design and this doesn't looks simple.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That seems strange to me.

Personally, this looks like the single best DSLR on the market for landscape work:

• Weather sealed, articulated screen, great customizable 3rd dial.
    • 36MP sensor, IBIS for handheld work, multi-shot mode for ultimate image quality when on a tripod. Probably exceeds the resolution of any Bayer array camera this side of an 80MP Phase One. Adjustable anti-aliasing filter depending on subject.
    • Astro-tracer, GPS, and other functions catering to the landscape crowd.
    • $1800 price tag. Buy a 15-30/f2.8 to go with your body and it's the same price as a D810 body only. If you're comparing against a 5DS, go ahead and throw a 70-200/2.8 in there as well.

Sure it doesn't have 10 fps bursts or 399 AF points. I'm not a sports photographer, and neither are most people.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    That's all fine and good philosophically, but so many of things that we rely on every day are anything but simple. Zoom lenses. Any DSLR mirror mechanism. They're all fiendishly complicated, and yet work invisibly and reliably in the background all the same. Not to mention internal combustion engines. Helicopters. Computers. By contrast, this is like a child's Meccano set.

One need only look at the upgraded 5DS mirror mechanism to get an appreciation for complexity...

A look inside Canon's redesigned mirror mechanism - DIY Photography
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014

Except the newly announced 15 - 30/f2.8 doesn't accept filters. I was truly disappointed to read that. If they released the body with a 16 - 35 f4 that took filters I think I'd drop everything in m4/3 and run there....
  11. tkbslc

Simple not on an absolute scale, but on a relative scale. A simple engine is still going to be complex.
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does this camera have a pixel shift mode like their other camera?
  13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Yes it does. It takes four pictures and combines them.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Crazy, so you'll get pixel shift with a 36mp FF sensor! If I was a landscape shooter, I'd pre-order one right now especially at that price. This is going into medium/large format territory!
  15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, exactly. Bayer demosaicing is, from a practical point of view, maybe 50% effective. So we're talking about results that should be easily comparable to the 50MP 44x33 medium format cameras on the market today. Probably better than Pentax's own 645Z for the situations that accommodate the pixel-shift.

The 24MP pixel-shift K3 II produced results as good as the 36MP D810 despite having pixels a fraction of the size. This K1 is going to be a monster, and I think in reality the only choice if absolute image quality is your ultimate goal.
  16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Is an FA 20-35mm f4 wide enough for you? Sharp, only 245g, $400 (down to maybe $250 if you get lucky), and AF.

I think that lens is going to get a lot more expensive on the used market right about now...
  17. tkbslc

Might be a good investment opportunity. Snatch up all the cheap FF Autofocus pentax lenses you can find!
  18. min

min Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    While I appreciate pentax for trying something new, this is not the first or best tilt swivel design aligned with the body. I already read the pentax screen has difficulty returning it to the closed position. Check out the Sony A77 or A99 LCD, you can flip it all the way around for selfie or close it with the LCD facing in to protect the screen. The current gf7 screen is close to this, if only they added a swivel joint.
  19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It looks like the pixel shift is only for colour, not hi-res.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    haha - quite!