Pentax Q7 To Have Larger Sensor

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Jun 10, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Hmmm, it does have an interesting look to it. I like the black & gold. :cool:

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Gah... I see even though they discontinued the K-01, they didn't discontinue the color schemes :wink:

So the old Q lenses cover the larger sensor? Weird, does that me the fields of view are slightly different now as well?

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Pentax should have gone m4/3... but that Q looks like a cool cam to take to concerts and such.

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Honestly, I wish they were a hair cheaper- I'd love to play with one and a few lenses, all of which are pretty cheaply priced.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The original Q has been available in and at around $200 or sometime know. That's pretty cheap. If you want additional lenses, it's actually cheaper to buy the kit with the lens you want and then sell off the body than buy the lens separately.

As for the colors. The colors they sell in the US is nothing compared to what they sell in Japan. Even M43 cameras come in all the colors of the rainbow.

I actually don't like the look of this new one. I think the original Q looks better.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think a RX100 would be better for that. The Q while small, is really not that pocketable due to it's shape. The lens protruding. It's not as portable as the size would suggest. I mainly have one to use as a super zoom camera. That 5.62x crop + 1000mm lens = megazoom. It does suffer from jello though.

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

If this is really true, I dunno why they didn't use this sensor size to begin with. I always felt the Q should have had at least a 1/2" sensor or larger it they wanted to use a compact sensor. Out of curiosity how is the AF on these cameras, are they PDAF, CDAF, or a hybrid?

If I(and many others) can put a GF3(or similar size m4/3) with a 14mm(well any pancake really) in a jacket pocket, I am sure one can put the Q with a prime or short zoom in their jacket or cargo pants pocket just as easily.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    If (as I've seen claimed) the existing lenses all cover the new sensor it suggests that it was always the intention to go to this size eventually. It may just be a matter of sensor availability. I've heard that with APSC sensors Pentax can only use them after Sony/Nikon have been producing them for several years.

10. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I thought they should haven gone with a 2/3" sensor, for a 4x crop. You'd still get some great telephoto options with adapted lenses -- a cheap 500mm would be a 2000mm equivalent. Even a fast 50mm would be a 200mm telephoto.

Though the new sensor size is reasonable, and the crop factor of 4.6x could be fun. A fast 50mm f/1.4 would be a nice low light telephoto.

But even more fun is playing with all of the cine and cctv sensors out there. CS mount lenses should work great on this. Could be good for video...

11. battleaxe

What is the fastest shutter speed available for the Q?

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    1/2000.

It's got really nice build quality but the UI is um, if not confusing, rather ugly.

Beautiful camera to hold. More of a museum piece than a street shooter.

Although, the standard zoom becomes awesome wide and fast (20-60mm equivalent) at 2.8-4.5 with a larger sensor. Now that is cool.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  14. battleaxe

Yes, I noticed that on DPR, should have been faster, but the fact that sensor size is now a bit larger alone negates any of the other features imho.

On side note how are Pentax jpeg output vs Panasonic and Olympus?

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Pentax Q goes as high as 1/8000th on the original body.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Spoken like a true Western PA guy. Go Stillers/Buccos/Pens! :smile:

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Looks like all the colors are coming to the US with this camera (as well as the new K-50 mid-level DSLR). There's a total of 120 color combinations (20 body colors and 6 grip colors) and they have an online configurator where you can create yours.

My personal fave is the Black and Yellow. What's your pick for the WORST combo? Mine would be perhaps the Lime/Pink or Orange/Aqua or Orange/Brown.

ZTECH_ALLCOLORS. 1024 />

18. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    :2thumbs:

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wonder if the Q10 will go for bargain prices now? Under $500 USD is a good price point. ILC or not, this competes with the LX-7/XZ-2. The 8.5 1.9 is now a 35 mm equivalent, which is a nice lens/body combo.

20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think otherwise:

8227774510_fca5a4696f_c.
    Pinky by john m flores, on Flickr

8227773852_14133d0afa_c.
    Recharging by john m flores, on Flickr

The little Q is the most serious small compact that I've used, with a more DSLR-like interface than my Panny LX7, Canon G-series, and older Ricoh GX100.

And btw, it's got a built-in ND.