1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax Q?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by LeeOsenton, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I took the plunge and picked a new Q with 02 standard zoom (28-80mm equivalent f/2.8-4). The focusing is slow and sometimes just plain poor, but I think I will keep it. Amazing build quality and some very neat in-camera editing features. I paid $200 for it (new in box) and am waiting on a fisheye and spare battery to arrive. It is fun to work with but very lo-fi compared to m43 system. Anyone else looking at or working with a Q?

Lee

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not my cup of tea, lol. I know there are some Q users at serious compacts. Please post some pics here (I'm not telling you to only post at SC), but there are at least 3 users over there that I can think of.

Looking forward to some shots!

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've got a Q, with the 01 prime, 02 and 06 zooms... and the Q-to-K-mount converter. While I don't use the Q for my most-critical work, I find it gives me fine results in fair-to-good light. And that converter really allows me to have fun experimenting-especially with my Pwntax DA 55-300 lens.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The Q is my current favorite camera. It's form factor is perfect. All cameras should be it's size. I've toyed about getting rid of my RX100 and using the Q instead. Alas, the IQ simply doesn't hold a candle to the RX100. It does signal the death knell for my GF2 though. The Q is close enough to it that there's no reason to keep the GF2. I'm going to take a major bath in selling it though. GF2's aren't worth anything. I only got $180 for my mint 1 shot GF2 kit. I'll be lucky to get $140 for this one.

Really the only thing lacking on the Q compared to the 12MP M43 sensor is ISO performance. Pentax's version of HHT does a lot to close that gap in low light.

DXOMark has Q10 sensor almost as good as GF5

Resolution wise, a Q can go toe to toe with a 12MP M43 sensor.

Pentax Q, the little camera that could.

5. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Had the Q with the prime (47mm efl) for a while and really liked it, the 160-degree fisheye was great as well. Images plenty sharp and the camera looks very stylish, like a little tank. Am thinking of buying the Q now for the sake of the new tele zoom lens (constant f2.8 !!) that is very small, truly pocketable, can't have that with m4/3 tele zooms unfortunately, can't fool the laws of physics/optics.

6. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    My company finally relaxed rules on cameras so now I can bring mine inside as long as I don't use it. My fish-eye arrived today and I left my Q on my desk.

I have not enjoyed shooting with any camera as much as I have this one. You only need a few minutes to get familiar and everything just starts clicking...

A few from my first (and only) afternoon with the Q. I am trying to maximize the Q experience so no editing out of camera (except a batch resize). For the uninitiated, filters and effects can be applied, stacked on top of each other, and adjusted after the image is taken! The new 06 f/2.8 zoom does look awesome. Test driving the fish-eye tomorrow.

Lee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    My early experience is the same. Do you see a difference with AF performance between the 01 prime and 02 zoom? I think the 02 zoom image quality is great, but AF is pretty bad indoors even with the newest firmware.

Lee

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, it is a bit slow. I wonder how much of that has to do with the weight of the 06 versus the 02 and 01. I don't use the longer lens indoors very often. Have you tried manual focus with peaking?

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've seen a few folks at the sister "SeriousCompacts" site that own it :smile:

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have been tempted to get one and if I found one at $200 I would jump on it. So many bad mouth it and the Nikon 1 but I think both have their place is the photo world. They may not be as good as m4/3 but both are way better than a point and shoot!

11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Where did you find the Q with kit zoom for $200?

I was interested due to the 2.8-4.5 aperture zoom and the build quality.

12. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Off the worlds largest sleazy auction site that I hate. I rolled in the gutter for a dance with the Q.

Pentax has created a bizarre situation. The 01 (8.5mm f/1.9) prime lens is only available in the original Q kit in the states. It is not available with the Q10. The demand for this lens is very high with used copies starting at $275.

The Q with 02 zoom kit is not getting much love now. Mine was technically used, but the guy didn't even use it enough to unwrap the charger and the receipt is dated Jan 13. Most like new 02 kits go quickly for $250. The 01 kits start at $300.

The 02 zoom is pretty fast and covers the 01 focal length towards the wide end of its range where max aperture is around f/3.5. Some of the more devoted Q fans are buying a kit with each lens. They spend $550+ and get both lenses with double batteries, bodies, and chargers. Good strategy but too much for me based on my early experience. That said, I have $325 in my kit with fisheye and spare battery. I am not going to return it.

Lee

13. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I agree. There are many barely used Qs on the market probably because of unrealistic expectations. A 1/2.3" sensor and low light? You better have an alternate plan if you are concerned with high image quality. I love the fun aspect and the toy lenses. Somehow a similar lens on my Olympus feels wrong; like I am abusing a fine gift.

Lee

14. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Newegg had it for $189 last week.

15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The Q has a multi frame low light mode like HHT on Sony cameras. I find it, at the very least, closes the gap compared with 12MP M43 sensors in low light.

16. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I picked up a $189 copy with 02 for my wife, she was smitten by the Quteness. A well-featured cam that will wring every bit of performance from its 1/2.3" sensor - that's the good and the bad news in a nutshell. I haven't tried raw work with it yet, I know the old Fuji F550 with its 1/2" sensor could do surprisingly well in raw - but whatever you do a modern :43: sensor or my K-01 beats it with ease. Still, going to iso1600 is decent so a smidge of 'lo-light' work is possible at f/2.8... and the menu is a K-01 clone so it has a full set of features.

No way to get past that sensor though. :eek:

17. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I shot some photos with the Q. Interesting little camera. Here is a comparison shot taken right about the same time with the Q and the 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 @ 14.4mm f/4.5. It said it was shooting raw but I ended up with jpegs :mad:

8443996060_31745acf9f_b.
    Pentax Q shoots Mt. Hood by danska8, on Flickr

EM-5/75mm 16:9 crop.

8442987137_9dc9fe3bff_b.
    Sunset Cresting Mt. Hood by danska8, on Flickr

18. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I updated mine to the latest firmware (old school download file -> copy to memory card -> restart camera -> manually apply update ->). Perform once for the lens and then again for the camera (appropriately quaint process).

Now I can set the Q with any settings and shoot JPEG. Click the review button to display the image and then hit the exposure compensation button to record the RAW data. I have not fully investigated, but the camera "seems" to be able to produce a RAW after shooting the JPEG. In my mind the only way to do that is to hold the original RAW data in a cache or temp storage location. It is a feature I intend to explore a bit more.

Lee

19. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Danska,

I love your images! A++!! They really demonstrate how much Pentax has managed to squeeze out of this platform. My images look much better when shot in RAW and then converted to JPEG, still testing.

Lee

20. LeeOsenton

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Something fishy on Ragged Island. Pentax 03 Fisheye (3.2mm @ f/5.6), 1/5 second exposure, shot RAW and converted in ACR.

[​IMG]

Lee

• Like Like x 1