Pentax Q

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by VinVin, Jun 9, 2012.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Ok, so the Pentax Q's price is gone down by a lot... and I am really feening for one ever since I watched a few reviews. I'm kind of conflicted because I already have a DSLR, an EP1, and an EP3... but the price is pretty good and the size entices me. I would totally bring it out whenever I don't bring a bag which means more photo ops.

What does everyone think?

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I also want one. But I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it as purely a novelty. From what the reviews say, it's a compact size sensor with compact camera image quality. So why not just get a compact camera? It'll be even smaller.

3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    But I was watching a few reviews on youtube and it seems to get some good reviews on there. For instance when looking at the High ISO images they really are a lot cleaner than expected from it's sensor size. It's at 470 where I am, but yes the novelty of this camera is really one of the main issues. Yet... my mind is still filled with Q... has been for the last few days!

4. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    It would be pretty darn cool to try one out with a c-mount adapter and a fast zoom... Though I suppose it wouldn't be so small anymore and I suspect the results would be fairly soft.

5. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Check out these shots from the comparometer at ISO 6400. Q on the left and Canon S100 on the right.

4858bfd8.

At ISO 3200.

6bd9f8de.

The S100 is smaller, cheaper and takes comparable pictures. It really depends on why you want it. If you want something to play with then the Q is more fun. If you want to take good pictures then there are smaller and cheaper options.

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    A c mount lens would be overkill for a sensor this small. A d mount lens would be plenty.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Lol no, i'm not gonna lo-fi everything, for that i have my sx-70 and my pen ees-2. My girlfriend however calls me a hipster all the time though i refuse to even think that i might be a hipster. I'm just a little quirky and not very normal imo.

I dunno, it just seems fun. I picked one up today and i've been playing around with it. It's really not half bad. Took a little while to get used to the system though since i'm so used to the pen's ui. I guess i just like toys hahaha. I think it feels better than it looks though, the magnesium body feels very sturdy. I will play around with it more before i decide it's worth.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ummmm .... Denial is a river in Egypt. Face it, you're a hipster LOL

Glad you're having fun with the Q

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    My local brick n' mortar store has a couple of "Q"s in stock....Talk about a small stealthy/incognito camera...

Seems like it's strong point would be "in your face" street people candids since due to it's small size, the subject might be less offended...

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Is it really that much more 'stealth' than a small m4/3 like the E-PM1? I've yet to see one in the flesh, but from the specs it seems to be pretty close in terms of size, and to me the E-PM1 actually looks closer to a compact than the Q.

DH

12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah, i just walked up to people and shot haha. I got a few smiles and a few people asking "is that real?" lol. Pretty good in that sense. Though the 47mm equiv is nice i actually wish they had something like my 17mm 2.8... That is to say a viable 35mm equiv that isn't a toy lens. After shooting wit only the 17mm for a year its kinda weird or me to be shooting at any other focal length.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have a lookee for yourself!
    -> Compare camera dimensions side by side

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    See!
    There you go! :wink: :smile::thumbup:

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    So those high ISO image samples from the Q don't look good compared to the S100. Seems very blurry and smudged, like someone unleashed a powerful heaping of noise reduction.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Amazon had some used Q's near $300. In terms of advantages, if you like telephotos and macros then the Q can do amazing things with adapted lens like the Pentax 50's.

17. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
  18. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I think so too. I tested shots on my EP-3 and the Q. Same everything just different camera. there was quite a bit of difference between the two... then I realized I have never taken a picture with iso higher than 400 and that's with film. I guess in the end it just works for me haha.

19. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    So... After a week and a bit with the Q i have to say... I Love It! I already went and picked up the fisheye and the zoom haha... Will upload pictures soon!