1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax Q

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by hkpzee, Sep 20, 2011.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Would you buy the new Pentax Q system with that tiny 1/2.3" CMOS sensor?

2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Absolutely no, and I'm a Pentax fan.

I think Pentax Q is a failure.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    It puzzles me. I suspect Pentax will probably run with it for 18 months and then quietly forget it ever happened :/

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    We must also wait to see what are Ricoh's programs, but I don't think Pentax Q has a future.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would be surprised if ANYONE buys the Q, especially with the price that they have just announced (at least in HK), of close to US$900 for the camera with the 8.5/1.8 kit prime!

What was Pentax thinking? :confused:

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    They were drunk I think.:smile:

7. I don't get it. You can already fit a fast f/1.8 zoom lens on a 1/1.7" sensor compact. You can fit 15x zoom lens on a camera you can fit in your pocket. I don't see the need for interchangeable lenses on a camera and sensor that small. It's a cool camera, but not for me.

8. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    yep. leave it unopened for about 50 years and I should be able to sell it for at least $925

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's cute as a button, but once it's that small, I also don't see the need and inconvenience of interchangeable lenses.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's the big problem. At $400, this camera was a really nice compact. At $900, they are competing directly with the E-P3.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    And loosing the competition I think.:confused:

12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I don't think I'd buy it, but having seen it, it is definitely intriguing. If the pricing comes down from the stratosphere I am sure it will have a market. It will also depend on what Ricoh sees in it and what they do with it. They could easily bring the system cost down by making an inexpensive mount module for the GXR.

13. agwe

agwe Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    Its already out in stores here in Manila. Pretty good build quality and its smaller than my phone! Spent two minutes playing with it then promptly gave it back to the clerk when he told me the price of the kit. Waaay overpriced at close to a thousand $$$.

my HTC Desire sent this

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    B&H announced price at $799. Still ridiculously high for such a small sensor...

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and probably takes pictures as well as the Pentax Q. :tongue: (just kidding)

• Like Like x 2
  16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    If I was in the market for a first person cam to clamp onto a motorcycle and shoot time lapse and HD AND the Q were weatherproof, I might get one...

17. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I voted definitely, positively, absolutely no.

That means I'll probably end up getting one....... based on my history.

Gordon

18. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Remember the pentax 110 interchangeable lens camera. Didn't make it. I think I know why. I have 2 of the lenses. very soft at any distance.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My wife has an Optio I-10 (same sensor as the Q) and I have been seriously surprised by the IQ at times, especially macros, for example:

pdml - drd1135's Photos

and

http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/15174580_3zgwM8#1260403087_J6CrJFm-O-LB

The funny part is that the Optio was originally $300 and didn't sell, and then sold like hotcakes for $125.

With such a small camera, it's not so much changes lenses in the field as having a choice, e.g., taking a prime on the nature walk as opposed to taking the zoom to an amusement park. At a $400 price tag, this is a workable piece of photographic equipment. I'm hoping that Pentax/Ricoh realizes that in time. If nothing else, maybe I'l get one during the hotcakes sale.:smile:

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does the Nikon 1 put a nail in the Pentax Q coffin?

My worry is that Canon will follow Pentax and Nikon, and no one else will develop in the 43-ASP-C compact range.