'Pentax "Q" = Surprisingly GOOD!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Man, their software bokeh filter does some interesting things.
    PENTAX Q (Digital Mirrorless) test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The 3200 shot is decent, but it looks an awful lot like NR really went to town. Compare to the ISO 125 shot of the flowers. In any case, I do like the results overall, and am looking forward to comparable image quality in a proper compact P&S at a reasonable price with a more useful lens.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It's of my opinion that the Pentax "Q" is actually targeted to be a digital lomo (check out the lenses released with the "Q") and NOT a MFT/NEX competitor per se'....

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's more a product of one of their "toy" lens (read "lomo") that were announced with the "Q"...:wink:

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Most serious photographers and a majority of enthusiasts (such as ourselves!) have panned that camera, but it'll have its' niche market. On the subject of ISO, Pentax have always had a very pleasing way of conducting their in-camera noise processing, so I'm not extremely surprised to see even the ISO3200 standing up reasonably well (for the sensor type).

In the end, if the camera body doesn't do well I've no doubt Ricoh would at the very least make a GXR module for the lenses, haha.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  6. It was labelled as BC i.e. Blur Control

7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    it's hard to judge with those pictures being so bright, but on the whole it's better than any P&S I've seen. I usually go for the pictures of trees in the distance. They're a pretty good litmus test IMO, and the trees here look like trees. Not smudged broccoli. I'm impressed. Though I'd hold judgement for less bright shots.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah...I just read a blurb about what "Blur Control" is supposed to do......

I'll just leave it at that...:doh:

9. Is the blur control what the dial on the front is meant to control? I wonder how representative of the final product these images are, given that it is labelled as a Beta model. BC looks like it could use a bit more work :smile:

10. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I would probably pay up to $300 maybe even $400 for that camera - because it will be so much more FUN than a P&S. It's not great as a serious camera (although I'll bet more passable than most are giving it credit for), but I'm guessing is really great at being a FUN camera to shoot with.

Just can't get myself up to the $800 mark though. :(

My guess, it will not be successful, and the price will have to drop. Then they stop making them, and the price will go WAY up, because then you can't get one, and they are after all, COOL.

11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Great description by Betamax for most P&S distant trees: "smudged broccoli." :)

12. remnant

remnant Mu-43 Rookie

May 16, 2010
    From what I understand, the BC actually stands for Bokeh Control as opposed to Blur Control. The dial on the front is a quick access to certain features of the camera. I believe these are customizable, so one could assign for instance black & white with aperture priority as setting #1 etc., etc. If they can bring the IQ of a smaller sensor up to near M4/3rds quality, I think this product has great potential. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

13. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    I like to have a "see through" camera, it's so cool !

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The Q's BC is not new, IIRC, I saw a Nikon P&S with that once. It's simply a gradient blur, like you'd do in Photoshop. Not smart enough to know how far away things are, AFAIK.

Still, it could be a cool little camera. The fact that it's got a magnesium body suggests that it's targeted at folks who value well-made products, i.e., the same type of creative folk (not necessarily hardcore photographers) that gobble up iPads and Macbooks by the shipping container...