Pentax Q-S1... DOA?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Evan614, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014

Seems Pentax came out with a new mirrorless camera with a 1/1.7 chip. Would of nice to have seen this 4 years ago.
    Call me pessimistic but it seems more like DOA (Dead On Arrival) camera.
    what exact niche does it serve? It about the same size as my PM2 and my PM2 does almost everything the S1 does. S1 has HDR and my PM2 doesn't

Only plus I see is: knobs to play with.

Would you buy this? If so.. for what reason? what purpose does it serve?.... that your other camera(s) don't meet.
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    40 colours maybe?
    just so you know Pentax is dubbed as Paint factory in China.
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Comparing m4/3 to Q is like comparing 35mm to m4/3. Blunty (on YouTube) loves Pentax Q because the high quality lenses are tiny and you still get full manual controls. An E-PM/GM is only a tad bigger, but way fewer physical controls, and the lenses on the whole are bigger. Also C-mount lenses start to get interesting as you don't get the vignetting problem. But yes, a very niche market that the Q serves.
  4. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I used to have a Q but moved back to m43 for IQ. I now use an E-PM2 and love it, but the Q is very hard to leave behind. It has a unique character that seems to change how you shoot. It made me less technical in taking photos. Almost like perfection mattered less than capturing the feel. I think you have to be in the Q world to understand. It isn't smaller by enough to matter, it isn't better, and it isn't faster. It has a difficult to quantify quality. I only recommend them to hobbyists that understand the limits.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Exactly. The Q is the only small camera that I know that behaves like a mini DSLR, not like a computer with a lens. The controls and menus are very similar to my other Pentax gear, and thanks to the built-in intervalometer, shake reduction, and wide lenses, it's been my rigged motorcycle shooter for several years now.

[​IMG]On the Million Dollar Highway with a Victory Cory Ness Cross Country Tour by john m flores, on Flickr

[​IMG]Riding in Acadia National Park, Schoodic Peninsula, ME by john m flores, on Flickr

[​IMG]Exploring the Northeast Kingdom #NEK VT by john m flores, on Flickr

[​IMG]Apex Hunting by john m flores, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ontario_RoadRUNNER_Jun14.pdf by john m flores, on Flickr

In good light it produces images that are magazine worthy, and in low light I've got other cameras.

Plus, I've heard that it's been a hit in Japan, so there's that.

So don't be a pessimist. It's got unique features, and IQ isn't the be-all, end-all.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    At $399 for the body, the price of the Q-S1 is getting very reasonable. The biggest problem will be the leftover Q7s. I don't see any real advantages to the new one over the 7.
  7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I've always adored the concept of the Pentax Q's. One of these days I will have to suck it up and finally get one.
  8. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I know exactly 5 people who don't know each other, but own Pentax Q cameras. They all LOVE them. They like the high contrast, little bit of grit the images contain and the size. The way some people talk about those cameras, you'd think it was the second coming of the Kodak Disc camera or something equally wretched.
  9. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    The coolest pentax hat-trick is taking a photo in jpg mode and then changing your mind and saving the raw (only the last picture can be recovered in raw). Does any other brand do this?
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The trick with the Q is that it's a really nice camera to use. The controls, the menus, etc. make it a really fun camera to use, especially for something so small. Look at the complaints about the controls on the GM1. The GM1 and the Q have similar size. I'd love to have a GM1 with the Q control layout.
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'd love a 'Q' - always keeping an eye out for the clearance prices with the little prime. It just looks like a fun shooter. Hopefully the Q7 price will drop through the floor now :)
  12. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I had a Q with the standard prime and it took very nice photos. The sensor was small but it punched above its weight. I have seen amazing astrophotography done with the Q, thanks to its fast sensor and high crop factor.

I decided to stick with one system, MFT, so I sold my Q, but I respect anyone who chooses the Q system.
  13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Probably not DOA at all, if Pentax/Hoya are now on the third iteration.