1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax Q Kit $350

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by sprinke, Aug 27, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  2. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    Great deal

It's a unique camera for sure. I'd have jumped on the deal 6 months ago. Now I'm invested in Pen's and don't have room for it in the arsenal.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Price seems to be dropping $50 every couple of weeks. I'll wait for it to bottom out. Not in a hurry.

4. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I assume the sensor is smaller than a m4/3?

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The sensor is Point and shoot size. I got one of these when Crutchfield and Samy were doing the $399 kit with 47mm eq. f1.9 prime (01) & extras. I figured I'd use it a little bit and flip it after the novelty wore off. I'm loving the thing...very good IQ (for what it is). I now have FD and MD adapters. Nothing like shooting the Q with a 4+ pound lens @ 1650mm eq (135 format). The handling, well I wish Panasonic and Olympus could build a body with as nice of controls as my Q.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The sensor is TINY! Not cell phone tiny but very very small. It also has an extremely short registration distance. It is shorter than c-mount and even d-mount so those lenses would adapt well. It has a cast metal body so at least Pentax built it well. I held one and it is very small and hard to handle with the shutter release in an awkward position{at least in my large hands}. There are only a couple of lenses and it seems Pentax has lost interest in making any more.

sensor-sizes-pentax-q-highlighted.

pentax-q-size-comparison-thumb.

7. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Wow! Tiny sensor is an understatement!

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Just an FYI for anyone that ends up buying this - if you have a discover credit card make sure to go to groupon through the shop discover portion of the discover card website - this will net you 15% cashback (over $50 bucks!).

9. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    No it won't. Look at the fine print.

"•Offer not valid on Epic Deals, Trips & Getaways, GrouponLive, GrouponNow, Groupon Goods and Charity promotions"

The most cashback you'll get on this deal is 1%.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I stand corrected!

11. rtb001

rtb001 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Even at $350, wouldn't one of the premium P&S from Sony/Pany/Oly/Canon etc. be a better option, since they would have a retracting lens and be truly pocketable?

I mean that sensor is tiny. Surely the picture quality is no better than the P&S equivalents.

12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I bought one of these for my wife (previous Amazon deal) after looking for a deal on a S90/95/100.

For what she is shooting, mostly snapshots of family, the camera and fixed 50mm FoV has worked very well. It is thicker than the S100, but still very small. She takes it out of the house more than she did her E-PL3 as it will fit easily in her smallest purse.

The sensor is small, but I think with the backlighting, it is within striking distance of a S100, especially at low ISOs. The f1.9 lens is good wide open, with a ton of DoF of course, and seems to help keep the camera down in reasonable ISO range indoors.

Overall, though, I do think this is more about the novelty... a tiny, and extremely well-built, camera with decent IQ. Given the amount of the discounting, assume Pentax is going in another direction. I hope they come out with something similar... but with a fixed 50mm equiv. lens, to keep the size down, and a larger sensor.

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The RX100 is in another ballpark. Having owned a S100 and a LX5 I would rather have this. Now at $350, it's even cheaper.

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    But see, you can't strap a 500mm f4.5, 9 pound lens on those premium P&S now can you? That's true pocketabliltyness.