'Pentax "Q" In The Real World'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 23, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Why? Why? Why? I don't have the money to spend... but I want this camera... ever since I played with it at the camera show =_= don't show me these things! hahahaha.

Anyways, looks damn good!

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Nothing to get excited about. Typical dull and mushy small-sensor-camera shots.

I used the Q for about a week and the image quality is simply not there. The only thing going for this camera is the ability to use D-mount lenses without vignetting. For C-mout lenses, Nikon 1 is a more interesting alternative.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No comments .. I will be hunted and shot dead ..hahaahahah .. I love the small size of pentax.. it looks very cute and very pocketable. But then again it becomes very difficult to handle such small camera bodies . I am already laughing when I see my combo of EPL3 with 45-200 mm.

5. Has anyone managed to mount a c-mount lens on a Nikon 1? The sensor size is perfect for it, but Nikon is unlikely to encourage the practice.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I saw a few nice shots in the pool. Don't we always say it's the photographer, not the equipment in the end? :wink::smile:

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't "get" the Pentax Q.

If you want infinite DoF why not just get a compact that's even smaller, with a zoom range that far exceeds their current lens offerings?

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The "Q" IMHO, is kind of a "Digital Lomo" camera....again, my opinion only...:smile:

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, that was also my thought when I looked at them. They look like they were shot from any compact point-and-shoot.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting since there some DSLR shooters that don't like the DOF of the Micro Four Thirds sensor.....

Onwards to medium format! :biggrin:

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The difference in DOF between APS-C and Micro 4/3 is less than one stop (and exactly 2 stops between Micro 4/3 and full frame), but the difference between Micro 4/3 and Pentax Q is 3 stops.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not debating with you...just stating :smile:
    That being said, it would be interesting to see Pentax "Q" sales & where it stands in all markets....

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If I had infinite resources for camera purchases, I would buy a Q to mount on my keychain and use it as my toy camera. I will then need to buy a man purse to carry my keys, but still would be cool to have something on my keychain.

This Q is just a very, very expensive toy/novelty camera. I think I would be better off buying one of those lens accessories for my camera phone. Otherwise, a X10, GRD IV, LX5, or just about any serious compact makes a whole lot sense to me.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    DOF had absolutely nothing to do with why I didn't like the Pentax Q images. They look like they came from a compact point-and-shoot because of the lack of color, lustre, and detail. I didn't even look to see how much of the image was "out-of-focus", lol.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I understand what you're saying here - that's I stated that the "Q" reminds me somewhat of a Lomo....Just not at Lomo equipment prices....

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yush, it is a toy camera. :)

The only foot it stepped into our industry class is that it took away the title of "World's Smallest Interchangeable Lens Digital System Camera". which is something Olympus would have undoubtly used in its marketing of the E-PM1, then Nikon right after with its J1 (the V1 is larger than the E-PM1 - and I'm not even sure the J1 would qualify over the E-PM1).

Pentax probably did us a favor by forcing these two companies to focus on other strengths to sell their cameras. ;)

17. Bhupinder2002

I don't get it either . Pentax should have joined either MFT or created something like NEX . Moreover I don't understand the pricing of this pentax Q series its exceptionally high .This camera is named and 'Q' and probably will remain in the Q as there are several compacts which offer much better value for money .Pentax Kr and Kx are priced lower than a point and shoot ? pentax should have added phone functionality in this camera and created world's first interchangeable lens camera phone hahaa-- just joking :smile:
    Note- This post doesn't intend to bash any particular camera company or hurt feelings of any particular individual with great knowledge of photography. This is a simple observation from a budding photographer LoL
    :smile::smile::smile::smile:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You forgot another option. Since Ricoh acquired Pentax, there is the Ricoh GXR series and that sensor. :wink:

19. Bhupinder2002

Yes I forgot that completely .Infact I am waiting for M mount Leica unit for GXR ( see I don't hate leica hahaha) to arrive in Australia.I haven't used Ricoh yet but expecting it to be good.
    Cheers

20. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    aside from a performance standpoint i just want one cuz it looks fun! I agree it is too expensive though but it really is in essence a toy camera. The lenses iirc are almost all plastic and some of the lenses are actually classified by pentax as "toy lenses." The Q is really very lomo, but digital... Maybe that is what pentax was thinking when pricing this camera. Considering the lc-wide and lc-a are both around 400 usd for a toy film camera i guess u can say pentax is trying to go that route with the lomo fanbase as their main demographic. As someone else stated though i too would love one on my keychain... And i have enough "man purses" to carry my keys around in!