Pentax manual lenses on Pentax APS-C DSLRs

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ivan B
I’ve already got cabin fever.

Truth is, I can’t imagine that using legacy K-mount or M42 lenses on current or recently D/C’d K-mount DSLRs will work as well as adapted to M4/3 with the EVF and focusing aids, but there are a surprisingly large number of bodies out there for relatively cheap. So, who’s doing such a thing, and how well does it work?
You could go to their forum
Many people rave about CCD sensor, you could try this cult, i mean, club
Or you could try something that non standard

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Few years ago I used SMC-A 50/1.7 and SMC-FA 28/2.8 AL on Pentax *ist-Ds with no issues. But IMHO if you want to play with legacy manual SLR lenses, you'd better go FF mirrorless way. Much more fun. Maybe A7 (original) for just a few bucks? No need for any hi-end hi-res hi-speed hi-price.
You'll have to admit that US600 (appx, used) for the body is a way off from the fifty or less bucks you'll have to pay for something like a Pentax K-r body.

Also the OP specifically talked about Pentax APS-C cameras.

But that doesn't really matter. Let's go to the fun part of the equation.

There's no Sony camera produced, ever, that can match the handling and sheer fun of usage that any Pentax (D)SLR camera, produced anytime between 1955 and today will give you!

Just the handling of the Asahi Pentax AP from 1957-58 will give you goose bumps.

That, of course, is my personal opinion.

Just like you aired yours!

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
You'll have to admit that US600 (appx, used) for the body is a way off from the fifty or less bucks you'll have to pay for something like a Pentax K-r body.

There's no Sony camera produced, ever, that can match the handling and sheer fun of usage that any Pentax (D)SLR camera, produced anytime between 1955 and today will give you!

Just the handling of the Asahi Pentax AP from 1957-58 will give you goose bumps.

That, of course, is my personal opinion.

Just like you aired yours!
Yeap, I agree. Completely. It's just that I was not happy with that crop. I highly enjoy benefits of small-ish 4/3 sensor with native lenses. But I do not like how crop changed those film lenses (on both APS and MFT). It may be partially due to my inclination to lenses of say 20-45 mm 35EQ. And mirrorless due to EVF with peaking. Dark and tiny pentamirror of most DSLR with plain focusing screen is no way comparable with film SLR pentaprism with split-screen and microprism on focusing screen.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Yeap, I agree. Completely. It's just that I was not happy with that crop. I highly enjoy benefits of small-ish 4/3 sensor with native lenses. But I do not like how crop changed those film lenses (on both APS and MFT). It may be partially due to my inclination to lenses of say 20-45 mm 35EQ. And mirrorless due to EVF with peaking. Dark and tiny pentamirror of most DSLR with plain focusing screen is no way comparable with film SLR pentaprism with split-screen and microprism on focusing screen.
Simple solution: get a K-1...

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
You could go to their forum
Many people rave about CCD sensor, you could try this cult, i mean, club
Or you could try something that non standard
I've been studying up over there on the various generations of DSLR bodies. That's where my comment about the numerous options came from.

I've not seen one quite that cheap. I've seen a K-m (2000) right at $100 +/- lens.

I hadda go Google that one. I'm studiously avoiding any hands on contact with M42 Pentax bodies.

Thanks for posting this link.

Made me post on PF for the first time in years.

Is there a similar thread on MU-43?
I had sorted out that that post was yours. Really nice image BTW. No CCD thread over here; You'd be talking E-1 and some of the early E-xxx bodies.
Ain't that the truth? Being able to use the EVF to magnify/peak is what's made adapted lenses so much fun for me. It's also what's kept me (so far) from making the leap to a Pentax APS-C body. I did check out the prices for an early A7, but for not much more than that I could go with a KP.

Lee Perrins

Mu-43 Rookie
I had a K10d which was lovely, but I broke it. I replaced it with a K-7 which is, as per the thread, sturdy. Both of them do/did focus conformation with manual lenses although one/all of the PDaf sensors in my k-7 is out of line because what it thinks is on focus is not quite in focus even with the full micro adjustment applied. The contrast af using the screen is accurate but I do t think you get focus confirmation that way.

The k-7 sensor is quite prone to noise at relatively low iso. It’s fine, but the k-5 was much better thought of. It’s basically the same body with new internals. The k10d images had a nice “feel” to them I thought.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
I've not seen one quite that cheap. I've seen a K-m (2000) right at $100 +/- lens.....
I paid, in translated money, US 62.65 for mine, with kit lens. It had been serviced once and the OVF wasn't exactly dust free. But you get what you pay for.

Camera: PENTAX K-m
Shutter Count: 9,045
Manufacture Date: 2010:02:08
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6

It must be possible to get it cheaper in the US than here in Ultima Thule! Just keep your eyes open and your fingers crossed!

I had sorted out that that post was yours. Really nice image BTW. No CCD thread over here; You'd be talking E-1 and some of the early E-xxx bodies.
Thanks!

Taken with a D70. Don't handle nearly as well as a Pentax, but treated right, it's capable of nice output.

And you noticed, I think, what a cutie for avatar I used in 2012! I must have grown grumpier in the past eight years. But I've updated my signature on that forum now. The avatar stays, though.

Anyway, the important thing is the picture.
Any camera will do. Any camera.

When it's about (D)SLR cameras, though, I'm a diehard Pentax apologist. Can't help it.

Which is not to say that I'm not willing to use just about anything I can put my hands onto.

But the camera I'd bring with me to a deserted island would definitely be a Pentax!

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Lots of options. If you combine my frugality with the comparables with supposed improved features and the resulting higher prices...

Sigh. Keep the info coming though!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Lots of options. If you combine my frugality with the comparables with supposed improved features and the resulting higher prices...

Sigh. Keep the info coming though!
One of the seven deadly sins is frugality, as the planet is about to either freeze, or steambath, to death. My advice: Buy, buy, buy! But only used stuff, to be environment friendly.

golftango

Mu-43 Regular
For what it's worth, all Pentax DSLRs, starting with the istD, have a focus confirmation indicator/beep in the viewfinder. Focus peaking was available starting with the K30. Interestingly, focus peaking was not available in the higher end K-5.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
For what it's worth, all Pentax DSLRs, starting with the istD, have a focus confirmation indicator/beep in the viewfinder. Focus peaking was available starting with the K30. Interestingly, focus peaking was not available in the higher end K-5.
Thanks. I didn't know it went that far back, as I never use it on DSLRs. Especially those with a pentaprism! There's no need for it then.

But I love my focus peaking on the Q.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I have to say, I'm slowly succumbing to the Pentax bug. In a way, I think using M4/3 for so long made me predisposed toward systems that are a little niche and have strong communities and loyalty around them... but also, Pentax is just such a great value proposition. And the bodies are so well thought out. The KP is a really extraordinary DSLR. Pentax IBIS has been pretty on par with the best of them for generations now. The aforementioned focus confirmation with fully manual lenses is a fantastic feature, and the live view on my KP is pretty great too.

I do sort of hate the focal length of FF lenses on APS-C, though. For some reason the effective focal lengths are just annoying. Maybe there will be a K1 sometime in my future, although I can only go up so much more in size/weight before it becomes something I don't want to lug around.

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I have to say, I'm slowly succumbing to the Pentax bug. In a way, I think using M4/3 for so long made me predisposed toward systems that are a little niche and have strong communities and loyalty around them... but also, Pentax is just such a great value proposition. And the bodies are so well thought out.
I'm just ahead of you in the process. As to the attraction of "niche" systems- I've always been some combination of ...thrifty... and contrarian. I shot with Pentax in the film days because a buddy advised that I'd be better able to afford Pentax glass than Canikon, so wouldn't end up in third party optics purgatory. That mindset probably influenced the choice of Olympus (4/3) and certainly m4/3. We am what we am.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Thinking about that K200d kit I posted earlier, this thread piqued my interest. I looked up the owner's manual and it too has the focus confirm with the hexagon and the beep. It was sold from Jan - Dec of 2008. Cheap and the same 10MP CCD sensor as it's more costly brethren. And I do have a selection of K mount lenses already...

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Erik
Thinking about that K200d kit I posted earlier, this thread piqued my interest. I looked up the owner's manual and it too has the focus confirm with the hexagon and the beep. It was sold from Jan - Dec of 2008. Cheap and the same 10MP CCD sensor as it's more costly brethren. And I do have a selection of K mount lenses already...
Well, what are you waiting for?
It's preordained by the God of Light!
And, you know, you is what you is...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yeah, but I need to slow down. I've been buying film cameras like a fool. To make it worse, I'm setting up a meeting with a guy that has a whole collection on CL. I don't want most of what he has but there are a few select that I would cut a deal on.

AMcUK

Mu-43 Regular
FWIW my first non-compact was a Pentax K100D. I used it with the original 18-55 kit lens then bought a selection of "legacy" lenses for a few £ on eBay.
It must has had a focus confirmation beep or I wouldn't have got anything sharp!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom