1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax Lenses, 110 and Takumar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Boatman, May 8, 2011.

1. I noted in an earlier post that this past weekend I would be taking photos at a family friend's 25th wedding anniversary party. I planned to try out the Pentax 110 18mm and 24mm lenses there.

At it turned out, the lighting was pretty dim and I wound up using my old Takumar 1.4/50 which is two stops faster than the Pentax 110s. But I did try some shots with the 24mm Pentax 110 just to see how it did. For the most part I shot at ISO 1600 with the Takumar and 3200 with the 110, though in the two following exmaples, the situation is reversed. The GH2 does reasonably well at these ISO settings.

What I noticed is that both lenses are very soft. In many pictures you really can't find a plane of sharpness. I'm not sure if this is due to the high ISO, the characteristics of the lenes at full open aperature or, in the case of the 50mm, the fungus in the lens. (It's a 1971 vintage lens that stayed in a closet for twenty or more years. Its kinda moldy.) Also, I was shooting at low speeds, and though I don't think I have camera shake, my subjects certainly could be moving.

The shots aren't intened to be artwork, just family photographs and I think they serve their purpose well. I like the size of the 110 lenses but they do give up some much needed speed. The 50mm was a little long for the situation but I did get a number of nice candid portraits that are sure to please. And the softness of the images really isn't a huge problem. Who wants to look crystal clear as they slip into geezerhood? :biggrin:

These images are adjusted for brightness only.

Pentax 110 24mm f2.8 1/25 ISO1600

Takumar 50mm f1.4 1/80 ISO3200

• Like Like x 1