Pentax Leaks Small Sensor Interchangeable Lens Camera: Pentax Q

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This was one of those rumors which I found hard to believe, but it's real enough!

Freshly leaked on (page now removed), here is the Pentax Q:

Previous rumors had referred to this camera as the NC1 but otherwise had the specs correct.

The Q uses a 12MP backlit 1/2.3" sensor, a sensor which is roughly 35% smaller than the one in the Canon S95 and approximately 1/8th of the size of the sensor found in our Micro 4/3 cameras.

Very interesting move by Pentax!

Additional information at Serious Compacts
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't think it will be capable of using legacy lenses, and you? If not it will be harder to this system to get market. At least is what I think.
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Pretty. But such a small sensor. Why?
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Only if you want to turn a 50mm legacy lens into a supertelephoto :biggrin:
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Using 35mm format as a reference, the Q has a 5.65X "crop factor".
  7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Ugly. No image quality edge over a serious compact. Getting the parallelism between lens and focal plane right is more and more complicated when overall size shrinks, leading to potential IQ loss corner to corner. What were they thinking ? Shop for a GF-1 while they last !
  8. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    The reason I'm not buying into this system is because I would then have to do yet another set of mental calculations to arrive at the 35mm equivalent :) LOL!

5.65x is harder to calculate than 2x (for mu-43) for my feeble brain :).

But seriously, the tiny sensor is what kills it for me even though it's pretty cool from a gadget freak's perspective.

9. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    What's the .1234 dial on the front?
  10. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard

So think what you could capture with a fast legacy lens.

A 50mm f/1.8 would be like having a 280mm fast lens.

A 40-135 legacy zoom becomes a 200-600 equivalent.

But,of course, that depends on the small sensor effectively being able to use all the photons focused on it when wide open. But it might get rid of some corner blurriness or vignetting tendencies with some old lenses.
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I realise aesthetics are a personal thing but it looks a bit fugly to me.

Still - theres nothing like a bit of competition to keep the manufacturers on their toes.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From the leaked info:

13. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    A 50mm f/1.4 would ROCK on this wee beastie. Might be nice for small telephoto work alone.
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    That's a pretty good feature, but the sensor size still holds me back from this one.
  15. tabbyarthur

tabbyarthur Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I found the camera interesting. So many people have point and shoots. Why not this one instead of another one? If it's affordable, like $250, it will be very popular. And if you can use very bright and fast lenses... like 1.8, well, it's going to be appealing to many. If the masses respond positively to this camera, they will make lots of money. And it doesn't look too serious, so no one will be afraid of using it. Now, the aperture button 1-2-3-4 on the front might be a sign that Pentax is aiming at experienced photographer, so I am not sure about the market they are trying to seduce... will see!
  16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't like it. Mostly because of the choice of going w/ the tiny 1/2.3" sensor. This will have to be dirt cheap given you can probably snag a GF1 body for cheap. Or an EPL1.

Unless it has an army of fast and cheap pancakes. In which, that might have a good niche market. But still, 1/2.3"?
  17. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    I like this, but I feel they took the wrong approach. I would have liked to have seen a bigger sensor. I do like how it looks though. It reminds me of the I10 they have. Interesting move though.
  18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Cool to see pentax doing something new, but the only thing that would tempt me from M43 would be a larger sensor like a 1.5 or a full size
  19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's a Sony Exmor R compact sensor at 12 MP.
    Cost will be 600 with 3x kit lens, optimistically.
    Adapted lenses = worthless.
    Lens manufacturers = 1
    Lens options = 2

Seriously? I got a Sony HX-1 running the same sensor and a 20x zoom range for $300. No, it doesn't have a fast portrait setting, but the Q seems to be leaning on digital bokeh. An LX3/5 will do all the same things as this camera, really well, for a lot less money. Or you could pick up a Canon S95. The potential advantages of the lenses here don't even begin to justify the pricing.
  20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I have to agree. If it had the same sensor size as an LX3/5, S95 or ZX1, maybe. If Pentax thinks that's too close to APS-C, then why bother to begin with?

I can't see how non-photo enthusiasts - who usually opt for a P&S superzoom, ultra-compact P&S or even an iPhone - will bother with interchangeable lenses. And people who do care about photography are bound to find the 1/2.3 sensor too limiting.

I hope Pentax knows what's it's doing. I wish the company well and hope they can sell a million of these to Japanese teenagers. But I fear this little project may damage the company by wasting valuable funds on a dead end. I hope I'm wrong.