Pentax K3 mkiii announced

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-k-3-mark-iii/

Looks like a very nice camera, and maybe will be the best APS-C DSLR out there. Maybe. But $2000 for this camera? In 2021? Seems like five years late, give or take. Some committed Pentax users will buy one, but it's hard to imagine anyone being motivated enough by it to switch systems.

And it has a fixed rear screen. o_O

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If I wanted/needed a bomb proof, properly weather and dust sealed camera, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Despite the price. They're built to last. It looks like they've finally fixed the one Achilles heel that's prevented me from buying one up to this point -that being continuous AF. If all my gear got stolen tomorrow, that would be the camera I'd replace it with. Would I sell all my m4/3 gear and jump ship? Nope. But I do like what they have made there.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
i love Pentax and how they build their cameras. i'm not sure i'd be jumping back in, but this camera and some DA* primes would be a brilliant kit.

macabee

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Barry King
I went from Pentax to OMD for two basic reasons size and weight, I had the original K3 and the K1, great build quality and optics, the only thing I do miss is an optical viewfinder.
However since I [re] turned* to Olympus i have not looked back, at my age, size and weight of kit is important.

* Previous OM1 & OM2 user

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Release prices are always a bit bloated but Pentax made a flagship APS-C camera for the APS-C users who are very invested with a lens colection. The Nikon D300 users had to wait for a long time for the D500 and there might not be a followup to it either.

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
No estoy listo para esto todavía.
I definitely have a soft spot for Pentax. Too bad, their models are ridiculously hard to acquire here. There is a sudden presence of the K-70 and the K-1 II in some of the biggest camera shops here though.

I know many from OZ who are Pentaxians just because they are exposed to harsh Outback environments.

If I am to get a 35mm sensor camera, I would go for the K-1 II but even the K-3 III outperforms it in many areas. I still have some good Pentax lenses with me here.

but it's hard to imagine anyone being motivated enough by it to switch systems.
Many people won't switch systems just because of the loss that comes with doing such. My brother, though, got tired of having his A7* 35mm cameras' repair bills and flimsiness so he decided to get a tank in the form of the K-1. He got hooked and plays with whatever Pentax lenses he can find. They have around 260 to choose from.

He still uses his X-Pro2 for his street/mirrorless needs.

Would I sell all my m4/3 gear and jump ship?
We can keep our m4/3 gear and add a ship. At least that's what I will do if I am going to add a 35mm Pentax.

I though Pentax is dead.
Far from, mate. In fact, I recognise a few people on this forum who are proper and active Pentaxians.

However since I [re] turned* to Olympus i have not looked back, at my age, size and weight of kit is important.
Totally agree. We are just spoiled by how tiny the mFT system is. There's just nothing better than having a camera in-hand all the time.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I do love my K-7 & K-5. Also my 100mm Pentax macro is rapidly becoming a favourite, Can't see myself picking up a new Pentax tho' (or any camera come to think of it - I'll only ever buy used). Maybe if the price of the K-3 Mk 1 or 2 drops on the used market; be nice to move up to a 24mp sensor.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We can keep our m4/3 gear and add a ship. At least that's what I will do if I am going to add a 35mm Pentax.
Nah. Been there done that. Not going back. I had multiple systems, even ones that share lenses ie Canon EF & EFS. It's just a PITA. I want a single system, even right down to a single body, that does it all. Doesn't have to be the best, at everything, out even one thing for that matter, just with the least amount of compromises for my usage. My G9 is perfect for that.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/pentax-k-3-mark-iii/

Looks like a very nice camera, and maybe will be the best APS-C DSLR out there. Maybe. But $2000 for this camera? In 2021? Seems like five years late, give or take. Some committed Pentax users will buy one, but it's hard to imagine anyone being motivated enough by it to switch systems.

And it has a fixed rear screen. o_O
They had to raise the price. DSLR market is shrinking quickly. Less volume = higher price. There are some hints that RICOH sold less than 50K DSLR units in 2020. I dont know if it is true though. On the other hand I would not be suprised. Thus the K3-III might be their last camera.

Well, I just sold my KP and a bunch of Pentax lenses to switch to an OM1.3. Largely to get a smaller size for hiking and better lens options for wildlife photography. Still have a 645z for landscape photography.
The reports I've heard on this are impressive. Image quality at least as good as the K-1 and much improved AF from previous models. If those prove true, it will be an impressive camera. And the price is no different than the launch price of the D500.
They still don't have too many modern long lens options, there is a large market out there that will continue to beat the mirrorless-only drum, and I don't get why they didn't put a tilt screen on this. Nonetheless, seems to be an impressive effort.

Real Name
Phill
They had to raise the price. DSLR market is shrinking quickly. Less volume = higher price. There are some hints that RICOH sold less than 50K DSLR units in 2020. I dont know if it is true though. On the other hand I would not be suprised. Thus the K3-III might be their last camera.
I agree, although there still are some people who prefer DSLRs with fully optical viewfinders over mirrorless counterparts with their EVFs. While I personally don't miss the DSLR, I still kind of understand the appeal of an actual OVF and it could be a niche Pentex might be able to serve. Of course such niche products always come at a premium, it's just the way it is, the lower the manufactured volumes, the higher the price tags will be. How many Pentax or DSLR users are willing to pay it? I guess only time will tell.
While I never used Pentax or have any actual interest in this camera, I appreciate that Pentax keeps at it and still tries to innovate in these kind of cameras. I mean having a transparent display built into the OVF seems to be pretty interesting and almost seems a few steps away from Fujifilms unique hybrid viewfinders which are used in their X100 and X-Pro cameras. I sincerely wish Pentax all the best, more choice is always better for us customers.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
While today I am shooting mostly m4/3rds, mainly a Panasonic G9 which I think is very Pentax like. I still have a Pentax K50 too. If I had the money, I might be tempted to pick up the new Pentax K3iii. For $2000 I can pick up another G9 for half the price. The G9 is weather sealed, has an articulated screen, produces fine images and works with both Olympus and Panasonic lens mounts. Still, the Pentax is alluring. It looks to be a very nice APS-C body camera. Of course, one can get a FF body for about the same price. I hope Pentax does well. I shot with Pentax for many years and have a soft spot in my heart for them. My K50 is nice as a back-up camera since it can use AA batteries in a pinch. And, that is no April Fools! LOL

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Bless Pentax for treating photographers respectfully instead of just manufacturing to a consumer "standard." This camera really looks like the pinnacle of what they could develop, and they were willing to take a bunch of time and endure delays to make it just like they wanted it to be. Pretty much the opposite approach to what Canikon did for so many years.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom