1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax K1 - New FF system

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pdk42, Feb 17, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Special K? Pentax K-1 First Impressions Review

Specs look fantastic (Inc. 5-stop IBIS allegedly):

• 36.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor with no anti-aliasing filter

• 5-axis image stabilization rated to 5 stops by CIPA standard testing
    • 100% pentaprism viewfinder with 0.7x magnification
    • 33-point AF system (25 cross-type)
    • Extensive weather-sealing
    • 1/200 sec flash sync speed
    • 14-bit Raw recording (DNG or PEF)
    • AA filter simulation
    • Multi-shot Pixel Shift Resolution mode
    • Built-in GPS with electro-magnetic compass and Astrotracer function
    • 4.4 fps continuous shooting (6.5 fps in APS-C crop mode)
    • Wi-Fi
    All this for $1799!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    the question is do they have to use new lenses? Can't wait to see Pentax lenses's line for the Full Frame. It's tempting though versus with A7RII due to 5 axis

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Apparently any Pentax K mount lens will fit:

• Like Like x 1
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    And my crystal ball said you are buying it! At least, it will end your normal drivel about the state of m43 as it was, at least to me, getting a bit stale. ;)

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    It is a great system. I was a little disappointed that they didn't resurrect the MZ-1D, which was their "FIRST" digital full frame camera based on the Phillips 6MP sensor in the late 90s. The body design is more compact and more modern than this Pentax LX/ Pentax 67 wannabe. Bleck..

The beauty of the Pentax is that, it has the same lens ecosystem as the Nikon F system. Which means, it can use all Pentax K mount lenses, which are almost all full frame (manual, autofocus and power zoom from the late 90s). The FA lens line (some of which are power zoom equipped) was the most popular line way back when the SF (SF-1, 10, 7), PZ (PZ-1, PZ-7, PZ-10) and MZ series (MZ-5, MZ-10 and MZ-1) were sold. Incidentally, Pentax was one of the first to use the 1 , 5 and 10 designation. Olympus OMD E-M1, M5 and M10 were used later. The interesting part about the K1 is that, it uses sensor shift to increase color information and has motion detection to remove motion artifacts. This is truly a very powerful and cost effective system. Priced @1799 is $100 premium to A7II. The SAFOX AF is pretty capable. Personally, I would get this K1 when the dust settles. 36MP system and full frame and has a great lens eco-system if I ever need a full frame companion to my Olympus system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    looks nice.

not an m43 camera.

edit: I guess this is the Other Systems category so that is totally valid!

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for your kind words. I've always liked your posts and commented in a positive and respectful way. Now you've just become the first person I've ever blocked on a forum. How dare you be so rude! Oh, and BTW, I've reported your post.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I don't think he was rude at all. I thought it was a funny post.

• Like Like x 1
  9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Are you referring to this, if so I think Pentax made the right choice:
    pentaxdslr04.
    pentaxdslr02.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I'm concern its swivel LCD as it's using unconventional way to achieve it. As pointed on DPR, the LCD rubber coated film cable might be the first to fail.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But how many AF lenses do they have kicking around that are worth using? They haven't made many FF lenses in the past 15 years.

Sure old manual lenses fit, but those fit on anything, so not a real benefit.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Pentax has 12 FF lenses in the current lineup. And when you mount an APS-C lens it works as a 15 megapickle camera.

• Like Like x 1
  13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Checked body and lenses weight.. I'm sure your chiropractor will be happy for you!

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Wow.. This bring back fond memories. Thanks for sharing those photos.

15. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Looks like a fine dslr. But I can't find myself using an ovf, given how the last evfs perform and what they allow to do. Now if Pentax decided to join m43 I'm sure it would be a blast!

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    LOL, Pentax is now selling rebadged Tamron lenses as their own. I've expected more from the company which has been always thought of as an optical powerhouse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I find saying someone talks "drivel" to be very offensive. He hasn't even got the courtesy to apologise. Courtesy costs nothing.

18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I know. I have no intention to buy one (obviously my "drivel" about u43 hasn't yet reached that level).

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    DPReview mentions that the K-1 should work with the aperture ring on K and M lenses. However, I don't see the mechanical aperture coupler inside the lens mount and Ricoh's website lists only KA and newer lenses as fully compatible.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had the film MZS and the grip which together essentially became this body. IIRC, they used that design when the Phillips sensor proved to be a bust. It was a great camera in the hand, my favorite Pentax body.