Pentax K-x, super-compact

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by eolake, Jan 5, 2010.

1. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    I'm sorry to say this on this site, but the next addition to my sizable camera collection will be a <a href="http://eolake.blogspot.com/2010/01/samsung-nx10-new-format.html">Pentax K-x</a>. It is hardly bigger than a Panasonic G1, but it's faster, has a huge lens range including many top-shelf pancake lenses, and it has much better high-ISO performance than current M4/3 cameras. (Two stops better?) (More like one, they say.)

With, say, the 21mm (32mm-e) pancake lens this camera *really* compact, and the 70mm 2.4 lens fits in any pocket too, so you can carry a real system with full DSLR quality, and hardly feel it.
    (I can hardly believe they managed to make a 70mm (105mm-e) pancake lens!)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Don't be sorry! It is a beautiful, versatile, and compact system indeed.

The primary reason I'm not that tempted is that a G1 with a 20mm f/1.7 mounted offers both a more useful angle of view (for my purposes) and DOF control than a K-x with a 21mm f/3.2 lens mounted.

As for image quality, I'm sure the K-x has a significant overall advantage, but no way could it be 2 stops. The D700 has a 2 stop noise advantage over the G1 (link), and the D700 has a greater than 1 stop noise advantage over all APS-C sensor cameras I've seen, suggesting that the K-x almost certainly has a less than 1 full stop noise advantage over the G1.

Other pros for the G1: larger VF, articulated LCD, ability to use a huge variety of adapted lenses, WYSIWYG view on both LCD and EVF, class-leading live-view usability, more AF points and even coverage, metering options not possible with current DSLRs (metering based on faces detected in the frame), etc.

3. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Fair points.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Very attractive indeed - I wonder how those pancakes will render oof highlights? I was very pleasantly surprised by the Lumix 20mm f1.7 in that regard... so we know it's possible.

Thanks for posting. I don't see it as a competitor for m4/3rds in that we have a near silent shutter and live view - but depending on price, it could be a great choice as an entry level DSLR - and potentially better for fast action / low light portraits.

Cheers

Brian

5. kman

kman Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    don't feel bad

I own the pentax k7 and also the 21mm Limited , 35mm macro Limited, and 70mm Limited and it is one sweet set-up. I really like the Limited Pentax prime lenses, now if only Oly or somebody ( with autofocus ) would make some well built high quality primes like these for the micro 4/3. I guess we can all dream on with lens lust

kman

6. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Panasonic is selling every 20/1.7 they make, so they'd have to be crazy not to recognize the market for fast primes. I expect that we'll see some more AF primes soon from both Olympus and Panasonic. A compact 50mm f/1.8 lens for :43: would be easy enough to make and would be functionally similar to the Pentax 70/2.4 on 1.5x APS-C with regards to angle of view, low light system capability (lens and sensor considered together), and DOF.

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i cannot understand why the makers cannot understand the desires of the market , a fast prime wide ,a fast prime normal and a fast prime shot tele , without that horrid manual focus by wire crap woulds be perchased by 100,000 of m4\3 early adopters

the group that produced trhe lens roadmaps for the 2 m4\3 companies , are cowardy provincial minded moron s who havent a clue what the new micro 4\3 enthuseists wish to spend their lens dollars on ,............ idiots is the only label i can pin on theser clueless souls who dont know or care about cameras
    corporations are comittees, who are so driven by percieved market forces and the accounting dept s as to appear functionally retarded where it concerns
    important decisions in micro 4\3 world

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i am waiting for a mirrorless adaptable mount with a 1.5 or less factor with a short flange to allow thew use of different lenses , a camera form like the gf1 ep1 with an aps-c sensor would fit the bill nicely, samsung is closest so far , but the form of a pseudo slr is such a turnoff that its currently on hold

9. voyager

voyager   Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I would love to get one.

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Primes

I am considering getting the Leica M adaptor then I can use my 28/50/90mm Leica M primes on my GF1.
    Manual focus does not worry me as I do it with my M.
    It would be nice to see Panasonic & Olympus produce small fast wide & telephoto AF primes and I suspect they will once the initial takeup of their cameras has reached a target that makes production of such lenses viable financially for them.
    I would not rule it out but it may not happen in a hurry so in the meantime I will look at the alternative above as many before me have.
    The 20mm f1.7 has clearly shown what can be done and the takeup has shown the need.

11. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    Thanks, Kman. This is very close to what I've ordered. I hear the 70mm is superb, and I love that it's so compact, and I'm looking forward to using it in the street.

I went for the SAMSUNG Pentax D-XENOGON 35mm F2 instead of the (reportedly also wonderful) Pentax macro, because the Samsung is much cheaper (and I don't use "normal" much), and a stop faster, and reportedly it's the same lens as the old Pentax 35mm 2.0, and real dang good. Oh, and smaller too.

12. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I didn't know about that Samsung lens. Looks like a great alternative!

13. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    It really does, and at a very low price. It's not well known, I can't find any reviews of it, I only found it through a mention on some forum.

14. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    It's a re-badged version of the Pentax FA 35mm.

15. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    OK, just got the K-x.
    First impressions:

Very responsive.
    The kit lens is very good.
    It's not exactly quiet, not the focusing nor the exposure. (The focus happens via a pin from the camera.) This limits its use for candid photography in quiet places. (A GF1 is better for that, I think.)

16. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    And it seems, don't rely too much on the in-body IS: I just got a shaken picture at 1/320sec at 55mm. Shouldn't happen.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The desires of the entire market are quite vast. If you look at all the various threads on dpreview about what people want, its all over the map. Many do want fast primes. I personally want faster zooms.

A perfect setup for me would be a 17mm f1.7 or faster, 14-45 f2.8-3.5, and a 14 - 140 f3.5-5.6. Olympus will be coming out with the latter, just not as fast. This lens will be a great hiking lens for me. The first one will be for general indoor, and the fast short zoom would be used as an everyday lens.

Dj

18. kman

kman Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN

you are going to love the Limited primes --- I will need to check out the Samsung lense that you mention, I was not aware of it before. Thanks for the lense info

kman

19. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    My pleasure. I ordered it from eBay, and if it's as good as I hear, it's a real bargain.

One of my favorite pics from the olden days <a href="http://eolake.blogspot.com/2006/11/bw.html">here</a> was taken with a Pentax ME-Super with a Pentax 105mm lens. It's a little shaken because I was even more shy back then, I should have taken a second to steady it.

[​IMG]

20. eolake

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    ... According to wikipedia, it's actually a Schneider-Kreuznach lens. That's a high end company.
    The guy I bought it from (I think in Korea) was helpful, he put a "repair" invoice in the parcel to help with import tax.