1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pentax K to M43 lens adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by HeatherWB, Apr 2, 2013.

1. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    With my new E-PL2 coming, I've been doing some reading on lens adapters as I have a couple of older Pentax lenses that I'd like to use with it. I've looked around on eBay and a couple of other places and I'm a bit confused. I'd also like to be able to use a couple more modern (no aperture ring) K lenses, if possible.

What should I be looking for as I'm shopping?

Thanks!
    Heather :smile:

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There are two basic types of Pentax K-mount adapters available: the basic ones that work with lenses which have aperture rings (you may see these refered to as PK-:43: adapters) and a second type which allows you to control the aperture of DA lenses without aperture rings (these are sometimes referred to as PK/DA-:43: adapters). This second type is what you are going to want to get for the lenses you have. Here's an example of one from Fotodiox and another made by Kipon.

The manual PK adapters are going to be much more plentiful on the market (and also cheaper), so be careful that the one you choose has the aperture ring control. Also, I have no experience with Pentax DA lenses on :43:, so I have no clue how well the aperture ring really works. When it comes to adapters the range of prices is pretty extreme -- you can spend upwards of $300 on something from the likes of Novoflex or Rayqual or less than $5 for no-name adapters on eBay. The high end adapters are designed and machined to a higher standard and you can expect a good fit and good performance. Some of the cheaper ones may not fit well so that your lens will not quite focus to infinity (or it may focus past infinity), although for the most part they're pretty decent and do the job. In my experience the Kipon brand exists as a sort of middle ground between the two extremes.

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I use the Rainbow imaging adapters off of Amazon (about $16 ea) for my old Pentax k mount lenses and they work wonderful on my EPL2. Great price. All they are is a machined tube and metal mount. Just be sure when you get one (doesn't matter what brand) to always make sure the little screws are tight and to rub over the inside surface with a soft cloth to remove any burs from the manufacturing process.

4. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    It's funny because I was just looking at one from Rainbow Imaging on Fleabay and was going to ask about it.

Pentax Da Lens 2 M4 3 Adapter Panasonic GF2 GF1 GH2 GH1 | eBay

Great minds think alike!:smile:

5. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    They really are nice for the price. Check out the same ones on Amazon, just to see if there is any price difference. I also have the Rainbow Imaging MD to mFT for my Minolta lens and the quality is the same as the K mount version.

6. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    WOO HOO! I just ordered the Rainbow Imaging converter and a lens hood for the kit lens. :biggrin:

Now, I'm just waiting for the shipping notice for the camera!

7. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    And now it starts . . . you do know that once moving to mFT that you have an 80% chance of developing GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :)

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    She just bought an accessory for a camera which has not yet arrived...I think your GAS-prevention efforts may be too late. :wink:

9. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    Hahahahahaha!!! :laugh1:

Oh--I know all about GAS! The Pentax world is infected with it, so I've dealt with it. :biggrin:

10. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    6c478e94d2facb1ca73b5087e201e60a_zpse79462d8.

Since the camera is now here, I thought you'd like to see it mounted with my Pentax FA 100/2.8 macro. With the 4/3 sensor, this becomes an equivalent macro lens!

Here buggie, buggie, buggie! :biggrin:

11. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    6c478e94d2facb1ca73b5087e201e60a_zpse79462d8.

It's here!

I have it mounted with the adapter and Pentax FA 100/2.8 macro for a 200mm equivalent!

Bugs, you have been warned! :biggrin:

12. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Hi
    I'm receiving my first camera, a GH1, and my father game me an Auto Chinon 28mm 2.8 (K mount) from his Pentax K1000 to begin with

I did a lot of research, saw dozens of PK-M43 adapters but I am so noob... I still can't figure out what's the best adapter for controling the aperture?

[​IMG]

What adapter will work the best for this lens and how does it work?
    Can you give me a link like ebay please?

Sorry for my English
    Thanks

13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Norking, the Chinon lens you show has an aperture ring, which will control the aperture just fine by itself. You can confirm this with the lens unmounted the ring changes the aperture, which will be visible looking through the lens.
    So for this lens any PK-ยต4/3 adapter will work and the choice just becomes one of price vs quality, unless you want to add special features such as tilt control or tripod mounting which are IMO unnecessary in this case.

No need to apologise about your English - I can't find any fault with it!

14. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
  15. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Naaaa

If the lens has an aperture ring you don't need that model. Look for a simple PK to M43 Rainbow Imaging adapter. About $16 dollars.

16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I picked up a pk - m43 adapter and now realize that I really don't want it (at least one of the two lenses that I have does NOT have an aperture ring). It's available if anyone is interested.

17. norking

norking Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2013
  18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  19. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    pk adapter from rainbow caution

I have a pk to nex adapter from rainbow the one with the flat lens release lever. Used it for a year and a half and everything was just fine until when I started shooting long exposures this spring with ND filters and discovered a fairly moderate light leak coming from the lever area of the adapter. took me a while to figure out why the left side of the frame looked cropped and washed out.:frown:

20. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Thanks everyone, exactly what I was looking for to adapt my DA 55-300 :)

I fell foul already of an adapter with no DA aperture control!