Pentax K-Mount lenses

Hi all,

I apologize for the slightly off-topic message. I'm visiting my parents, and it turns out somewhat unexpectedly that my father (decades ago a professional photographer) evidently kept up with Pentax gear quite a bit later than I knew. He no longer shoots heavy gear, so he offered his collection to me.

My experience thus far with K-mount lenses has been putting a 50mm prime from my old K-1000 on my E-M1.2, feeling pretty nostalgic, and then putting it away since I have a 45mm prime and a 40-150mm Pro.

However, there are a couple things here very interesting. One is a 20mm that at full frame, would be wider than anything I currently have, and I want to say a 135mm Macro. There are probably other surprises in there, and I'm getting an updated Pentax _film_ camera body.

Just wondering what others have done in this situation? I'm tempted to get a body, but as near as I can tell for full-frame that would be the K-1.2 which is pretty expensive and a DSLR, or a K-01 which is quite inexpensive, but APS-C. General experiences with K-mount lenses on M43?

Thanks,

Dion

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I've used the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f4 m42 Macro & Pentax 50mm f1.7 SMC K adapted on m43 - the Macro was good. The SMC wasn't great (wasn't great when I put it on a Pentax K-7 either but seemed better on a K-5). Definitely worth using the lenses on m43 - they have a vintage character to them; also I find the 70/80/90 era manual focus macros from the big names to generally be pretty great (slow in the 60-70's & 80's @ f3.5/4 but get better in the 90's).

The K-01 has a nice sensor but the AF will drive you nuts - should be fine as a cheap way to adapt m42/k though. Has slow FPS too. Might do better with a K-30/50 or K-S1 depending on budget. Also the K-7 is pretty good as an intro to their digital APSC line with a pro-grade body for cheap (been fine for macro but not good with the K mount 50 I tried); ditto the K-5 if you're will to pay a little more - almost exactly the same ergonomics as a K-7 but with a *much* better sensor. The 2-digit digital K bodies have newer sensors than the K-5/7 but simpler bodies/controls.

Check out the adapted lens image show-case - depending on how you view the forum the Pentaxes should be roughly 2/3 of the way through the list

https://www.mu-43.com/forums/adapte...age-12?prefix_id=13&order=title&direction=asc

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Congrats on the unexpected treasure trove. I have a m42 mount Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and enjoy the slower process it requires.

Focal reducer like my Lens Turbo II allow you to recapture some of the field of view and more light. Kinda like a magnifying glass. The 50mm becomes 37mm. Not quite full frame but more useful in my mind. EF to M43 version allows you to buy slim and cheap adapters like m42-EF and not buy a new reducer each time.

The Sony APSC and full frame bodies are popular for adapted lenses but not a cheap way to dabble.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I still have a few PK lenses, including M150/3.5 and a Rikenon XR 70-150/4. If you want a small K camera, the K-s1 pops up now and then, nice 20Mpx APS.c sensor but it lacks the features that made Pentax special (wr ruggedness, internal time lapse, even img rotation). It does have IS inside, TAv mode and the nice green button :)

Well, for now what I decided to do was to go with a PK->EFS adapter, and an EFS->M43 Lens Turbo II which came in today. The 135mm was a straight prime, not macro, but still a lovely lens. I took a few shots to test... Here's a rose in the rain (redundant in Washington State in the winter!) Still got to play with settings, but initially, I'm quite impressed :). Goes to show great glass is great glass even if it was made a few decades ago :)

_A303386.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom