1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax K 50mm f1.7.....any advantage in buying an adaptor?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have used the Pentax reversed on bellows, wondering if it's worth buying an adaptor for it?

I have a 75-300 in my kit.

The proposed adapter says this....
    Focus infinity (For lens with focal length over 50mm).

Would it work with the Pentax 50?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Any basic Pentax K should have zero problem reaching infinity focus. There should be dozens of them available on eBay for $10-15. Don't pay any more than that.

And the question is - do you want a short telephoto with a fast aperture? If so, then by all means, get one! It's such a cheap investment, and if you've never tried it before, it's a lot of fun. I quite like a bunch of the photos I've got with my old M42 Pentax 50mm/1.4.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Hope you are not thinking that legacy 50mm has the same field of view as the 100mm position in your 75-300 zoom.

Given that most people can get an adapter for lss money than a a sandwich and a beer, I think an inexpensive adapter is always worth ia try if you already have the lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    This is likely meant to be a disclaimer referring to the (in)accuracy of the adapter's length. They probably mean that the adapter is machined accurately enough to allows a 50mm or longer to focus close enough to infinity so that you won't be able to detect any error. At the same time, they don't promise that the adapter's (in)accuracy is adequate to prevent some error showing with shorter focal length lenses. The focus shift caused by any error in the length of an adapter, or extension tube, is not a factor of the absolute amount of error, but is a factor of how large the error is proportional to the FL of the lens used. A small error can be negligible with a long lens and fatal with a short one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    A great lens and a total joy to use with 100% perfect corners on m43s. The only reason to not get it would be if u already have a native 42mm or 45mm. But still I dont think u can reproduce the 50s special color effect with modern lenses.

6. bruinhoo

bruinhoo Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2014
    Count me as a vote for yes. I found your same lens cheap at a thrift shop while on vacation a few months ago (with a Super ME rear lens cap) for essentially nothing, and picked up one of those ebay adapters to try it out on my EM5. It functions fine and has taken some nice pictures, though my adapter/lens combo does focus beyond infinity, so do keep in mind that the focus scale may not translate over in adapted use.