1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax K-5 spotted at Photokina

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Herman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Nice. I am looking forward to this camera, will likely buy once it gets around the $1K mark.

I love how the hood is improperly mounted to the 60-250mm F4 on the right photo profile of the camera in the shot you posted. Classic marketing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Great - I got to see a picture of Ryan Seacrest - my day is shot. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I'm kind of debating on this camera. I think I must be the only Pentax user happy with the K7............. From what I've read on the Pentax forum, the improvements are high ISO image quality and faster auto focus. I pretty much only use ISO 200 and 400 and manual focus so I'm not sure I'd be getting much. Plus I find myself usually reaching for the E-P2.

I keep hoping Pentax will release a mirrorless with K mount. If I have to choose, I'll probably skip the K5 and go with that new Fuji. Now that's a camera I'm excited about.

And.........is it just me or does Ryan look completely hungover and/or strung out in that photo?

• Like Like x 1
  5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It is pretty much what alot of people wanted in the K7 replacement; I just got my K7 2 months ago but for a very good deal so I am not too attached to it (I did have a hard time letting my k20d go, for me it was perfect from an ergonomics standpoint). With the excellent low light ability, I think this will be my last body upgrade for awhile, barring anything ground breaking (i.e. pentax mirrorless) - I will definitely be upgrading to the K5.

Oh, looks like Ryan has a case of the munchies there, agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am looking forward to a full review, IQ especially - always the bottom line!

• Like Like x 1
  7. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I wonder if this camera will be successful for Pentax. I'm kind of bought into the system since I have the DA's 15-70 + 31mm and 77mm. I also have a large number SMC M and A lenses.

I have this feeling that with Olympus' recent announcement that the DSLR market is getting difficult for everyone but Nikon and Canon.

I really like Pentax because I prefer smaller bodies but for some reason there doesn't seem to be much positive buzz about this camera. Apparently it's priced a bit higher than it's direct competition from Nikon and Canon.

I'm still happy with Pentax because Canon and Nikon don't offer any lenses that are like the DA Limiteds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It seems more like alot of the information out there is still up in the air. USD pricing on websites is a $1600 but some forum members at PF and DPR are posting $1399. Have you seen the CDAF example video over at PF? It is light years ahead of the K7, I wouldn't doubt it to be on par or very close to m4/3 cameras (it is Very fast looking).

Bottom line I think it is easy for the negative forum members to be quick to judge without much actual information - I will wait for the actual reviews (user and main sites) to come in before I decide when I'll jump on the new body (I am definitely in, just need to decide at what price point I perceive its value!).

• Like Like x 2
  9. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    With all the companies fighting to get our money the will have to lower prices, don't they?
    - I am leaning towards K-r (more color combinations...)

• Like Like x 1
  10. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I think it will be lower than $1600. Probably $1399 to start and then drop to around $1199 by end of October. I'm not sure but I would add $150 if you want to include the new "kit" lens which is an 18-135mm. I'm not a zoom lens user but I would probably get the kit with the lens if I buy it.

To me it looks like a great camera. They are really slagging it on the Pentax Forums. That said the forum mostly seems to be made up of people who should have bought a Canon or Nikon but didn't and a sizeable number of people who want Pentax to make a Full Frame camera that costs $1500.

I don't know why I read that forum. It's so incredibly negative.

Canon and Nikon are really great cameras. Pentax is what it is. I like the brand because of the DA Limited prime lenses. If I wanted a large selection of zooms or a Full Frame camera I would have bought Nikon or Canon (probably Canon).

• Like Like x 2
  11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I really appreciate pentax as a brand. It seems Nikon has finally clued into the whole backwards compatibility with the d7000 though, and the used Pentax market is next to gone (the deals where someone puts the camera from their basement up on craigslist are few and far between these days).

I will probably pick up the K5 when I can sell my e-p1 body, kit lens, K7 and 4/3 14-54 MkI lenses to cover the cost.

I am also interested in the new 18-135 as an all around lens if the kit price it right.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    The backwards compatibility was ultimately why I went with Pentax when I got my first DSLR. I had a K1000 and a couple of lenses.

The ability to adapt those the m 4/3 was why I got the E-P2. I must admit, I've been happier with my E-P2 than any DSLR I've owned.

I did a career change last year and I have to now watch my camera expenses more carefully so I'm looking at one of the following three options:

1) the new Fuji
    2) the new Panasonic
    3) the K5

Not necessarily in that order. If I had to guess I'll probably go K5 but I'm going to wait a bit. The K7 is a very capable camera. That said, I'm not a high ISO shooter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    There are also positive threads about K-5 and K-r...
    - But I agree that at equipment forums the voice of customer with unrealistic expectations dominate.

About that 18-135 Pentax lens, it is Weather Resistant, but it first has to show its IQ performance over longer all-in-one zooms before it will be a winner (given price, especially if bought separately).
    The K-5 is almost "exactly" as expected, that is besides the theoretical high price, but given competition it will probably go done fast like K-7 to replace it position within that market segment. Biggest complain there seems to be it doesn't have anything more special...
    Although I personally like the K-r most, there is one specification Pentax updated that they don't mention too much. Due to the larger LCD the camera became significantly larger than the succesful K-x. It is unclear if the K-x will stay for the entry level market segment, so also the body price competitive edge is at risk here...

Oh, last two weeks I bought M 28 mm F2.8, M 50 mm F1.7, M 135 mm F3.5, M 200 mm including non Pentax 500 mm F8 and auto macro converter for only little over 100 Euro and the two DA kit lenses 18-55 II + 50-200 for exactly 100 Euro. And I just started looking :wink:.
    - I will also go for new 35 mm F2.4 and be looking for an ultra wide angle (at reasonable price) and try to find out which lens best fits my candid family portrait applications (long prime at which focal length vs fast zoom).

• Like Like x 1
  14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am curious, have you been using Pentax long? I only ask because of the last 3 flagship pentax dslrs (K10d, K20d and K7), the K7 has actually done the best job at retaining its retail value. Both the K10 and K20 were at some point under or very close to $600 new towards their lifecycle end. It definitely doesn't look like that will be the case with the K7 (which is likely already out of production), and I think the K5 will fare just as well or better - I was just curious because the perceived price drop of the K7 might seem like a lot (if you haven't been around the brand for too long), but based on the company's own flagship sales in the past, it has actually done quite well!

• Like Like x 2
  15. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Actually, I didn't & don't own a Pentax camera yet!!!
    - But it was the first camera I used, my father's, with a 50 mm F2.

I own a Canon SLR and it was OK (hardly used the last > 5 years), but in this phase of life I like to be a little different. Oh, I had bad P&S experiences with Nikon, so I am never going to pay a brand premium to them. And the K-x was very good, that is besides the low res LCD and no focus assist beam. So I am pretty much set with the K-r and if I want much more in the future then I can always upgrade to the K-3 or K-1!!!
    - I am pretty sure my father would love to get my K-r. (his current playing with slightly outdated Panasonic bridge super zoom camera)

• Like Like x 1
  16. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Joe- I have all those M lenses. There are some really good Pentax Legacy lenses. You might try and find the 85 M f2.0, but they usually are rather pricey.

For the wide angle I'd look at the DA 15mm or 21mm. You'd probably get more use out of the 21. I normally avoid zooms, but I will admit that the Sigma 10-20mm is a great lens. I have the "old" one.

On the KX, I think it will stay in production with the KR priced between it and the K5. I'll probably get a K5, but not immediately. I'm a low ISO don't mind a tripod shooter so it's a very good camera for me. What I really love about the K7 and will love about the K5 is the quality of construction. I mostly shoot outdoors hiking with my dog. You have to go up a bit with Canon or Nikon to get the same ruggedness. That said I realize their similar models might outperform at high ISO and AF speed. I prefer to manual focus so the AF speed doesn't matter much to me. Heck I wouldn't use m 4/3 if blazing fast auto focus was important.

I'm sure you're correct about the tech/gear head aspect of forums. I would find it hard to believe there is a forum of more unhappy camera users than the Pentax Forum. The thing is they new what the cameras would and wouldn't do when they bought them. Pentax is all about enthusiast shooting with prime lenses. Oh well..........

I seriously doubt with the 645D they will release a full frame camera anytime soon. I think they are pretty wedded to ASP-C. My guess is that will be the sort of industry standard like 35mm film. Full Frame will have it's applications but as a Mid to Low +$1000 camera format, I doubt it anytime soon.

I don't know how fast you want the lens or how much you want to spend, but the DA 70mm is a really fine lens also.

In fact all the DA Limited's I can highly recommend. I'll probably get that new 35mm to mount on my KX as a walk around compliment to my E-P2. Pentax really does make very good prime lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  17. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    While I haven't shot it, I don't think you will be disappointed with the KR.

A couple of cheap ones to look out for:

Sear 135 F2.8 macro
    Sears 28 F2.8 macro
    Sears 50 F1.7

They are actually quite good lenses. Just don't get one with the Ricoh pin.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Pentax has always been a 2 body dslr company, so I don't think the kx is likely to be in production even at this point. That said, with the multiple colored bodies, and what seems to haze been excellent sales, perhaps they produced a large inventory of kx internals and will continue to manufacture the body casing for a longer period than they have in previous generations. I certainly won't deny there is still a place for the kx in the lineup even with the kr announcement.

• Like Like x 2
  19. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I considered a K-x initially, and I think I was pretty excited about it, too, but I wound up getting a GF1 as that was closer to the specs I cared about.

• Like Like x 2