'Pentax K-01 "Hands-On"..'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Feb 28, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Pretty worthless "review." No impressions of AF? How it will AF with existing lenses that were designed for PDAF is probably the biggest question mark. And saying the images look great on the LCD is meaningless. Unless, of course, you never actually display images any larger than that. If that's typical of A.P., it's not worth the electrons it takes to send it across the web.

One thing I did notice, though, is that it appears "design" has been allowed to compromise function. I was very surprise to see that there's no thumb rest on the back at all. A couple of decades of experience on what works has just been tossed out the door.
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    From the article: :wink:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looking at this picture reminds me that I don't want to be stuck with such a thick camera anymore... ;)

4. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Ironic that Pentax is claiming to have made 'the world's thinnest interchangeable lens' when the K-01 is probably the world's thickest and heaviest mirrorless interchangeable lens camera ...
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    "Mirrorless" does not inherently mean small - it just means what it is "mirrorless". :smile:

A full frame sensor in a mirrorless pro-spec DSLR body (i.e. Nikon D4) would not be small - but it would be mirrorless - The Leica M9 is mirrorless & not small :smile:
  6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The K-01 natively fits, meters, and auto-focuses tons of great Pentax glass, all using a Sony BSI sensor with gobs of dynamic range and clean ISO 6400, the body costing a mere $700 (or less, depending on your source).

If I didn't have a K-5, I'd get a K-01.

The price/performance ratio of the K-01 is astounding, and it makes it hard to recommend, for example, a GH2 or EM5 to a new user who isn't committed to a particular system.

Additionally, as alluded-to earlier, Pentax makes some great lenses.
  7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    You and me both although there is something appealing about the Pentax in a passing way. Then again I'm breaking my coffee addiction and my head is in a fog. :confused:
  8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I kind of like the shape - its growing on me.

Although it might be some sort of subliminal throwback to my Lego and Playmobil days.

And sure enough, Google finds the connection . . .

• Like Like x 1
  9. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I'm sure pedants everywhere will be proud of you, but my Leica M9 is both small and beautifully formed. It is probably one of the best devices ever made for image capture.

Perhaps one day, you will be fortunate enough to own one. :wink:
  10. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Thanks for an interesting perspective. However, I think it would be best to wait until people can actually handle production K-01 bodies and test them thoroughly before jumping to any conclusions.

I am particularly pessimistic about the AF performance and would need a lot of reassurance that lenses designed for phase detect AF will focus quickly with a contrast detect AF system. For an example, look no further than the slow AF performance of Olympus 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies.

You are quite obviously a Pentax fan. I used to be, but gave up with Pentax when the full frame digital body failed to appear. Since then, the Pentax lens range has suffered badly at the hands of former owners Hoya. It would take some very good new lenses, or the reintroduction of some old favourites, to get me to consider buying Pentax ever again.
  11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

The K-01 is still significantly larger than m43 bodies and glass - so probably many folks who don't want a bigger camera would be willing to pay an E-M5 premium. Others who don't want the bigger camera might still go a PEN or Panasonic for less $$.

For the "bigger camera" crowd, I'd think Fuji and even Leica should be a bit worried about this camera. Folks wanting a full-frame CLO ("camera-looking-object") would see the Pentax as an exceptional value. If it has sharper images than Fuji (images have appeared pretty soft from the X1), then they probably will grab much of that market.

Oh, those who want a CLO naturally exclude Sony NEX users. :tongue:
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Well to start with the K-5 already does CDAF faster than the first series of Pen cameras (e-p1/2)...not that that is saying particularly much, just saying that if the K-5 wasn't bad, then a camera designed with only PDAF should definitely be better.

Curious what particular lenses Pentax would need to resurrect for you to consider buying? It is equally obvious that you are have a particular hatred for the brand. I wouldn't go so far as to say the K-01 is in any way better than m4/3 cameras, but I definitely wouldn't call it any worse either...just different.
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I love the Leica M9 too but it is not that small :smile:
    --> Compare camera dimensions side by side
  14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Man that is one fuggly camera. I don't get terribly excited about the looks of cameras. I've had lots of ugly cameras. But that thing is disgusting. Sorry. It just is. :eek:
  15. pinholecam

pinholecam Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    On the AF, I've handled the prototype on v0.33 firmware. Its at least as fast as GF1 on various lenses (40mm XS; 15mm; 100mm macro). So firmware v1.00 may (or not) be better.
    Considering that its even GF1 like AF speed for old screw drive lenses is already quite a feat. (no one else has that sort of speed for AF legacy lens compatibility).

Its pretty well sized for APS-C cameras. Especially so once one holds it with the Pentax primes which are typically smaller than other brand APS-C lenses.

Looks wise, I have mixed feelings. At times it looks plain uninspired and boxy. Other times, it looks 'right', modern 'art decor'
    I think that's what Pentax aimed for in its design and perhaps target audience.
    Certainly polarizing by all accounts I've read so far.
    Don't like the 'chimney' in the front though.

Handling is comfortable with the buttons in the right places and generally good access to the most often used modes/functions.
    I have small hands and its thickness and lack of grip makes me feel like I'm holding a box. On older film cameras which don't have a grip too, its thinner, so I don't get that same 'holding a thick box' feeling.

My own lingering question even after handling one is that as a system, will it be small enough and be negligible/tolerable encumbrance to justify the performance/IQ advantage?
    I can't tell for now, as that takes at least using it for a full day.
    I don't have a problem using my K5 for days, so I suspect the answer is a yes. But G3 with 3 lenses is even more comfortable and is no slouch in IQ for most stuff.

It will certainly work well as a cheaper spare/2nd-cam to my K5 though.

Edit (7Mar2012) : I think I found the answer regarding how easy it is to carry the system around for a day of shooting.
    It feels lighter than my K5 and certainly feels comfortable and not weighty with small primes when slung over the shoulder or neck.
    Feels pretty balanced too.
    Of course its not smaller/lighter than a G3, but in the world of APS-C, its pretty good.