1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax K-01 body, $346.95 @ Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Promit, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Screaming deal, considering how good the sensor is.

I bought one myself.

A firmware revision was released one or two weeks ago to vastly improve CDAF, including low-light CDAF. So don't take older reviews for gospel without first interpreting the results.

The sensor is a bomber. It is like the K-5 sensor, but the AA filter is weaker (to better support CDAF). I'm not sure how it compares to the K-5IIS, but it won't be far off.

Throw in focus-peaking with green-button metering and auto-stop-down for all PK lenses and you are cooking.

This is the "Pontiac Aztec" of Pentax cameras, but don't judge it by its cover.

3. krayjeegsr

krayjeegsr Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2011
    :rofl: lol

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I wish I could take credit for the Aztec line, but I've seen it here and there around the PentaxForums.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This is now the normal price. All vendors should be updating it to this price shortly.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Weird..i never got its original purpose, but at that price i guess its just a cheap way to get the sensor with that mount. If only it werent so...odd looking.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd say it's the Pontiac Aztek of cameras, period. Didn't know the K-5 sensor was in it! Kinda like our E-PM2, er, next year ;)

8. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm interested in one, are you able to comment on the camera when you get it, in particular on the AF speed and accuracy? Thanks

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I got mine last night (bought with the 40mm kit) - lens is extremely compact, but I don't know if I'll end up keeping it. I like the body, it is relatively simple and I'm at home with the Pentax menus/interface. I'll have to update the firmware this evening, but AF with the 40mm is about what I expected (I've used the regular limited version previously and recall it wasn't particularly fast). I'll update and do some testing compared to my k5 sometime by this weekend!

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course, this is an amazing deal in many ways. Just look at the DPR samples and iso comparisons and I'd be really hard pressed to find anything with this IQ and low light capabilities for anything near this price.

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Totally agree. And the 40mm is an outstanding lens, being basically a different (and/or cheaper) build of the DA 40mm limited lens, for about 1/3 the price. The only reason I likely won't hold onto it (50/50 at this point) is that I also own the 43mm limited which I absolutely love.

12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have been thinking of selling my K-01 body (even with the massive resale hit). I like the camera, but I don't have a bunch of good K lenses (and the ones I want are not cheap) and it just isn't getting much use after I bought the E-M5.

Let me know if you have any interest, Paul. I live in Woodbury and work in Eden Prairie. Glad to meetup if you want to take it for a spin.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The K-01 arrived last night! Since I bought the adorama bundle I think I'm just going to hold onto it (and the 40mm for the time being). I'm kind of in the opposite boat, as much as I would like to use one system, I love the 15mm, 43mm and 50-135mm so much I just can't see ever giving them up (thankfully at least the 43mm is a great adapted lens too...I could potentially see replacing the 50-135mm with the panny 35-100 though) - actually, same goes for my K-5, even though I don't use it too much anymore, we've been through a lot together, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

The other thought for me is to hold on to the body and then pick up a cheap MF lens or two, or maybe on of the new plastic DAs like the 35/2.4 and 50/1.8.

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    No harm in that - it seems like a nice (relatively) little camera, I do like the focus peaking feature that would definitely lend itself to MF lenses. The price is kind of funny (or rather surprising) in a way. I've been using Pentax cameras for about 6 years, and they have always had a pattern of losing about 40% of their value over their retail life, then slowly dropping from there on the used market as the years have passed. I haven't seen a retail price as low as the K-01 for any Pentax large sensor camera since I first bought my pentax ist DL way back when. Heck, a used K-x (still a great camera) that is close to 3 years old now will still bring you around $300 - the price drop of the K-01 is definitely out of character.

Contrast that with pretty much every micro 4/3 body, where we have been conditioned to expect them to be worth about 25% of MSRP easily within about 18 months (especially Olympus with all of the cameta refurbs).

16. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Look forward to your thoughts/impressions after the firmware update. Cheers.

17. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I did update the firmware over the weekend - focus is slightly faster (no official testing, subjective opinion). To me the focus went from going through a full focus throw (i.e. minimum to infinity) before it would find the lock, to being able to find lock without the full focus throw. I am glad I purchased the 40mm lens kit, as the lens really suits the camera. I put my gordy's wrist strap on it which is also a good match to the camera, so far I'm pretty impressed with the purchase.

18. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    I've never heard about this camera until today. I looked on amazon, and if you guys think the black body is ugly you should see either the yellow or the white version. I can't imagine any company designing an uglier camera unless they do it on purpose. The perfect gift to someone that you hate to death.
    On the other hand the few samples I've seen on Flickr look unusually good.

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It is actually a fairly nice camera, I like it more than I thought I would. The 40mm thin sliced half pancake lens is also great (I figured I would probably sell it sooner than later since I already have the pentax 43mm limited, but it is a perfect match to the camera). Finally, it has the same sensor as the Pentax K-5 - image quality is therefore by default fantastic.

20. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    there is no viewfinder option for the K-01, correct?