1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pentax Joining MFT

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mach330, Mar 31, 2011.

1. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Already April's fools day in your time zone ? :biggrin:

3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't see anything about MFT, just another mirrorless?

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I find it highly dubious. A 8.5 mm as a 'normal' prime would result in a tiny sensor not much bigger than a compact, so without any real IQ advantage, and many more difficulties to build reliably (especially, parallelism control between sensor plane and lens mount would be very very difficult to remain accurate in an IL system).

That's why I'm not really buying it. An APS-C Evil, on the other hand... I'd love to see that !

Cheers,

5. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    oops yes i meant mirrorless. i do want to see that APS-C version.

6. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    Again, folks, check the date in your area. Seriously.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This was announced some time ago...

8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Isn't NEX APS-C?

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, and Samsung

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Yes, but I meant 'coming from Pentax'. Pentax is among the very few camera makers who always get the ergonomics of their products right the first time. After Olympus, it's my favorite brand.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion.

Cheers,

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So the big one is going to be PK compatible. I would love it if Pentax made the little one Pentax 110 mount compatible.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    An Update: Pentax poised to launch CSC camera, Japan report claims-

Pentax is set to launch its first compact system camera this summer, according to a report published by respected Japanese trade publication PEN News Weekly.

Though such a mirrorless camera from Pentax has been rumoured in the past, a report in Pen gives an imminent launch more credence.

'To begin with [Pentax owner] Hoya will go global with a new mirrorless interchangeable lens compact system as early as this summer,' states the article published in Pen's newsletter dated 17 June.

'The new mid-range mirrorless camera, under the Pentax brand, is expected to sell for about 70,000 to 80,000 yen ($864 to 988), including a lens.

'This matches the prices of comparable products from Sony Corp and Panasonic Corp, which are already in the segment of the market.'

Pen adds that the company plans to sell 400,000 interchangeable lens cameras during this fiscal year, including its K-series of DSLRs (see picture).

At the time of writing, a Pentax spokesman told Amateur Photographer that the company was 'looking into the source of these rumours'.

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm sitting on the fence regarding whether or not it makes sense for Pentax to join M43 or develop their own mount and have heard convincing arguments on both sides.

I guess we'll to wait just a little bit longer...

14. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    If i am correct the new pentax will be a 12 megapixel APS-C backlit sensor , and i know only 1 company who is doing backlit sensors Sony. Sorry to ruin hopes :p

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be great if they did join M4/3, but I doubt it.

One thing that is substantially different about Pentax and a mirrorless entry is that they already have a stable of small, very good lenses. It would be a simple matter to build a very nice 3 or 4 lens kit.

This would provide a nice option for, say, K5 owners: a compact mirrorless and a first class DSLR that can share lenses. Yum.

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'd like it as well, but it makes no sense for Pentax - if they entered m4/3 with a 2 lens kit line-up, and maybe a prime, that would just be giving lens sales away to the other mount makers.

The only way to get it right is to continue their history of backwards compatibility. If they somehow manage to create a new mirrorless system, they need to also have a matching adapter with, at the very least, A-series lens info pass-through, and a built-in screwmount drive (or at least SDM pins). Oh, weather sealed would be a plus, and first in the segment too. I honestly wouldn't put it past them, but we'll all have to wait and see. Hoya keeps it close to the vest these days!

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    And the trouble with not joining an existing and growing standard like M43 is that they don't have the marketing muscle or the distribution to market a new camera much beyond their current installed base. It may still be a success if they can get current owners to buy a new camera, but my understanding it that maintaining profitability at their current market share is a challenge.

It cuts both ways...

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The open spec Micro Four-Thirds system seems to be strong enough to convince Sony to attempt opening their NEX E-Mount for open ventures. Nobody's bit yet on that one, though. ;)

19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Their ILC niche will have to be small and rugged - that is the only thing not being done, and it is the one thing that truly stands out in their DSLR history, at least when it comes to camera bodies. Whether they do that with the m4/3 mount or on their own, I think that is where they will succeed or fail within this niche market.

IF they went their own way and offered up a killer, rugged aps-c ILC camera, it might as well replace their entry level camera and stick to the 2 model system they run now. Granted, they could slot the compact between, but if it were fully k-mount compatible that might eat into their higher end dslr too. We'll see what happens, hopefully sooner than later!

I certainly would love to see what Pentax could coax out of an m4/3 sensor, though I think Olympus already does a very good job in that realm (Panasonic seems to have decided that in order to get the best out of their sensor, PP is mandatory).