Pentax is sold

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by hanzo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    News here (PDF)

Its sold to Ricoh :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Wow. At least it went to another imaging company.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I'm disappointed. This probably means no CSC from Pentax as Ricoh already has their system, which I am not interested in. I hope they bought the company to nurture it rather than merely to benefit from its reputation.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    might be a good way for ricoh to inject some much needed 'quirkiness' into pentax to differentiate its "me too" lineup of dslrs....

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The other day someone convince me that Hoya have deep pocket...now We know how deep the pocket is....I guess the R&D of Pentax Q spend what is left....hope it get's better with Ricoh...

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Man. I thought Samsung would buy it.

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    This could be a move by Ricoh to replace their CSC - their replaceable sensor/lens design was interesting but I believe is proving impractical for most people.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Keep in mind an acquisition like this doesn't happen overnight. the Q system would not have happened without Ricoh's approval, which will make for an interesting pairing with their interchangeable module camera. I would guess a Q mount module won't be far off.

It would be interesting to see a K mount module, though I think the camera body itself is likely too small.

I am very glad they did not get purchased by Samsung, who is much too bent on marketing their cameras to entry level markets. They would also take a big step back to the samsung sensors if that occurred.

Ricoh will make for an interesting pairing. As long as the K mount is in tact and development keeps moving forward, I don't care who is behind the name.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Good point, I always thought that camera was a little too ambitious. Seems wasted money to be buying a new sensor everytime you'd like a new lens. Basically put an end to it by making a Q mount module, then proceed with the standalone lenses for the Q.

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    In Japan, those Ricoh cameras take up a lot of space in camera stores. They must be selling OK or they wouldn't devote that much floor space to them. You also see them in used camera stores at really high prices. Higher than M43 cameras.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I loved my long lost Ricoh GX100. Excellent user interface and felt like a small hunk of magnesium in your hands. Took good photos too. I hope that DNA gets added to the soup.

This could be good for Pentax, as they are being purchased specifically for their camera division, not their medical imaging division as the case was with Hoya.

12. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Owch. Was really hoping to see a Pentax APSc mirrorless system this fall. I would imagine Ricoh will stay with their modular system (now with Pentax glass).

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    It's sad that a pioneering company like Pentax is only worth $124 million.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You have to consider the $124 million figure is primarily based on tangible assets, not cumulative or expected sales volumes. They are not buying inventory from them (aside from currently held, unsold stock/unbuilt assets), they are primarily purchasing the name, facilities, patents, etc.

15. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I confess I am US centric.

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think its a very good move.

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoya is a half a billion dollar company. In what way is that a company without assets.

Perhaps you can clarify the reason Hoya is selling.

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would think Ricoh would be keeping the Pentax brand and identity. You can't assume there will be a consolidation of product lines.

19. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think there are quite a few Ricoh devotees around. If I'm not mistaken NIc (luckypenguin) swears by his Ricoh P&S as being a great piece of kit.

I have a positive attitude. In this economy there has to be some "there" there to generate a purchasing interest. Pentax is an icon in the camera equipment world, that's a lot of cache for Ricoh to acquire for 124m.

I'm sure they have no interest in the displacement / dismemberment / deconstruction of such an iconic brand.

Alan

20. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Ricoh, my new wish for you is to make a 645D module :D

• Like Like x 1