1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax Fa 35 f2.0 and 50 f1.4 any users?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Monza76, May 19, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I will not be back home with my Pentax gear until July so I was wondering if anyone has experience with these lenses, the FA 35mm f2 and the FA 50mm f1.4 with the Fotodiox DA adapter. My cameras are the E-PL1 and the E-P2. My FA 35 needs to have focus adjusted on the K20D because it backfocuses so it would be an ideal candidate for the m43 since that would no longer be an issue and a 70mm f2 equivalent would make for an interesting toy.

Any comments and any images appreciated. I also have a Fotodiox Nikon adapter that I will use with an AF 50mm f1.8 D Nikkor. The light weight of this combination will make it handy as well. Too bad the older cameras don't have any form of focus peaking. I do not have an EVF so I doubt if I can make much use of them in bright sunlight.

I await your responses.

2. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Sorry but I am giving this one bump to see if anyone may have missed it. I am particularly curious about the 35mm since it seems that it would be an ideal focal length on my PEN.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm a Pentax user and have spent a lot of time looking at images from various Pentax lenses. I have never personally used the FA 35/2.0. But I've seen many images taken with the lens, enough to know that I don't really want to own it. I think the bokeh is harsh and the 6 blade aperture doesn't help things. I think Pentax has better options in this range (though most are slower at ƒ/2.8).

In my opinion, the DA 40mm ƒ/2.8 lens performs without fault. Everything it does is done well. The only thing it cannot do well is be something other than what it is. Which is to say that it can't shoot at ƒ/2.0; it cannot shoot macro. But it is a poor choice for adapting because it lacks an aperture ring and the focus throw is quite short for manual use.

Both DA 35mms have a similar story. I personally prefer the 40mm to either 35mm, but the differences are small. Once again it lacks an aperture ring and may not be so good for adapting.

The FA 31 is a good option if IQ is a priority. The glass-molded ASPH element provides for smooth bokeh that plastic ASPH elements cannot deliver. This lens has an aperture ring, but is big, heavy, and expensive.

The FA 43 is simply excellent, but longer and more expensive. It may be a good in-between choice to satisfy your 35mm and 50mm needs.

If I was planning to adapt a fast 35 then I'd look to another manufacturer. I think the FA 35 is too expensive for what it offers.

The FA 50 is great.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I had the FA35/2 on my K5, and I absolutely loved that lens. But never tried it on a m4/3 camera though. Sorry!

And I disagree that the bokeh of the FA35/2 is harsh. At least it isn't harsh to my eyes.

5615411740_3c173078f6_b.

5. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Nice photo Armanius, you have every right to be happy with that image.

What I'm referring to may only occur in some circumstances. Each of the following photos are found from Flickr on the first page of results when searching for "FA 35mm bokeh", and I don't like the bokeh from any of them (artistic/sentimental/preservation merits aside):

IMGP2192 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Chain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    better late than never! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Obviously the lens is capable of much better results when used properly.

As an aside, I did a search for "DA 40mm bokeh" and the results are awesome. (yes, ƒ/2.8 is slower and different):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kutekidzzz/4671187572/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bendingphotography/6187464250/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeramael/513010676/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeramael/414455948/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ippaiattena/5444641373/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomacnolife/3034537699/

Just as an example. I still wouldn't recommend adapting the DA 40, but maybe the M 40mm?

• Like Like x 1
  6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think I quite like the bokeh of FA35/2.

GgpBjTtsxVzERN8UBADj.

6JUXBvZPrTtblBwCC8a9.

However, my copy of the lens was not very sharp wide open even on the K-m with its 10MP sensor. I think it would be even less sharp on Micro 4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'll make one more note of my personal preference: The FA 35mm and 50mm both share a cooler rendering that differs somewhat from the punchier DA rendering. I haven't seen many others talk about this, so I may be speaking out of turn. But Pentax DA rending has high contrast , rich greens, and a punchy appearance that I really like, whereas the FA 35mm and FA 50mm are cooler and slightly dull. (I'm talking about 9/10 instead of 10/10, and I'm not complaining that the lenses don't perform).

I think the FA 35/50 lenses are really good, and the FA 50 ƒ/1.4 (and especially ƒ/1.7) are tried and true formulas that can't be knocked, but in my mind a person shoots Pentax for the lenses and the FA lenses don't offer the extra kick of the DA line.

8. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    I appreciate the comments but it is too late for the purchases, I have owned both the FA35 and the FA50 for a few years now. Yes I know that the bokeh can be a little harsh at times but that doesn't concern me as much as things like the ease of manual focus with the LCD. Right now I cannot get accurate manual focus using the SLRs because the focus screens are now optimized for brightness rather than ease of focus and my eyesight cannot deal with it.

I have a large selection of other Pentax lenses but these two are the fastest I have and therefore seem like the best to supplement the two m43 lenses I now own.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I wish I'd tried the FA35 on a m4/3. But it never occurred to me, for whatever reason. With the built-in aperture ring and mechanical focus ring, it could have been a nice short tele at 70mm.