Pentax Competition for Micro 4/3 Coming June 23?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA) (Japan), the site which first brought the rumors of E-PL3/E-P3/E-PM3 at the end of the month, is citing sources that Pentax will announce a new interchangeable-lens system on June 23 in Japan.

According to the Google-translated post, the announcement will involve a "digital SLR camera with interchangeable lenses of the world's smallest and lightest".

There have been a number of rumors about upcoming, small interchangeable-lens cameras from Pentax of both the mirror and mirrorless types. It looks like we may be seeing one of those get announced just a week from today.

Source: (Google translation)

Rumor Grade: B

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting. If it can use those beautiful Pentax primes things could be fun. If it's that tiny sensor thing that has been mentioned, not so much.
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Folks on PentaxForums are discussing to possible cameras:

1 - an APS-C mirrorless
    2 - an "NC-1" with a 1/2.33 sensor
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    an APS-C would be interesting. I just don't see the point to the ultracompact interchangeable lens concept. With a sensor that small, just make the best ultrazoom you can and be done with it. How much better could individual lenses perform on a sensor of that size and how much money would people really be willing spend on it?
  5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I think if there is a market for fixed lens compacts (the fuji x100, sigma dp1/2 and some others - though these are larger sensors of course), there will be some niche buyers of the small sensor ILC camera too - I like the concept only because it shows some initiative on Pentax's part, though I figure it'll probably only sell well in Japan. In the end, I'm hoping they have a solid entry into the mirrorless market with something that sets it apart, like weather sealing (which I love). They'd better move fast because I'm itching to get an e-pl2, or one of the new rumored cameras!
  6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    The Pentax Forums string goes into great detail about the pros and cons of an interchangeable-lens camera with such a small sensor (the string was started months ago). The general consensus seems to be it'll be fine for a certain niche market but most Pentaxians are waiting for the second rumored camera, the mirrorless APS-C.

As a person with a full Pentax DSLR kit and a long-time Pentaxian, I must say Pentax had better show its hand quickly on the mirrorless front. I have quite a bit invested in micro four-thirds and may soon find I won't need mirrorless from Pentax. Hint: If they bring out an APS-C ILC, my existing Pentax DSLR lenses had better work very well on it, even if an adaptor is required.

Already, Pentax's slow response has caused me to stop buying new Pentax lenses until I can figure out what the company's plans are. Instead, I have put my money into micro four-thirds. So far, I am not disappointed with my decision and somehow I can't see selling off all of my Panny equipment for Pentax. On the other hand, if what Pentax brings out is special enough, I might consider replacing my traditional DSLR kit.
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    A Pentax m43 camera would be a wonderful surprise!

Anything smaller than a m43 sensor would be a mistake. In order to make the camera smaller you would need to shrink the screen in the back.

As cute as the Pentax 110 interchangeable lens camera was it was an ergonomic disaster.
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Just slipping a digital sensor into their old auto-110 bodies would be cool!
    Hopefully they'll take the old bodies in part-exchange ...
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Smaller than 2x crop has too many consequences on DOF control IMHO and puts too much dependency on very fast (< f/1.4) lenses. People who don't care about DOF are better served by a compact, and people who want subject isolation will need a larger sensor.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I still continue to wonder what a dust spot looks like on a 1/2.3" sensor. The NC-1 always sounded like the strangest idea but the rumour has persisted for a long time now.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, Luke. I think the Olympus XZ-1 has taken that concept to the best possible place yet, by including a higher-grade f/1.8 aperture Zuiko lens, the PEN system image processor and control system, and hotshoe/accessory port of the PEN series. It's about the size of a Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5, but with the best in full control and optical performance that can be achieved with a tiny compact sensor.
  12. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    To be honest I'm not sure what the point of yet another mirrorless system would be. I'd rather Pentax threw in with M43 and made a body that slays the competition with ergonomics and direct control.
  13. Mr. Reeee

Mr. Reeee New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2010
    Pentax? That'll be the day!

Pentax throwing in with Panasonic and Olympus would be a natural fit. Adding Pentax to the M4/3 mix would be great, especially given their lens history. A new, smaller format system I fear is doomed. Why not use a P&S for a LOT less money?

Olympus: the niche ever-also-ran. The promise of Zuiko lenses never quite panning out.
    Panasonic: the wanna-be camera maker.
    Pentax: great gear, but never big enough to duke it out with the big boys.

I have a GH2 that I love, but on it use:
    a couple of Pentax Super Takumar M42 mount lenses (50mm f1.4, 105mm f2.8) from c.1970 that are excellent!
    Some Nikon lenses (20mm f2.8 AI, 35-135mm f3.5~4.5 macro-zoom, an excellent 60mm f2.8D macro)
    A Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f1.4!!!!! Still waiting for a Nokton 25mm f.95. Early July I'm told!

Pentax releasing a marginal mirrorless format makes so little sense I'm speechless!