1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pentax announced K-30 Weather sealed camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, May 21, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Looks pretty good - it's got a couple of 'real world' features that usually get skipped on these kind of models:

- 100% pentaprism rather than pentamirror...
    - twin control dials...

Pentax has a habit of releasing over-specced mid-range models, and I'm sure this will be well received with the faithful. Me, I'd still go an OMD and 12-35mm for a weathersealed kit :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I had the hots for the K-5 around a year ago mainly for it's weather sealed-ness and it's sexy quiet shutter sound, but I couldn't make the jump into a new system. Then the OMD came along and I already had all the lenses. That new Pentax looks good, but perhaps just more of the same old song from them. I'm sure it'll be great, though if someone is already invested in Pentax lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

I agree , I had a short interaction with Pentax Kr and it was a fantastic little camera . I loved the UI on pentax and very useful 6FPS shooting along with faster shutter speed. I think we might say many weather sealed cameras below USD 1000 range in next few years .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    OK, now I've seen the blue color......I have the Pentax GAS again.....anyone looking for an OMD?

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Us camera enthusiasts are such a fickle bunch :rofl:

I'm just pleased to see one of the camera brands I grew up with alive and kicking - Go Pentax :2thumbs:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    From the models I've used (K20D, K-7, K-5), Pentax still has by far the best UI I've experienced.

'Hyper Program' is genius - turn the front dial and you're in Shutter Priority, turn the rear dial and you're in Aperture Priority, press the green button and it defaults straight back to Program Exposure - amazingly effective.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those two features and the weather sealing are the big practical differences between an Olympus pro-grade DSLR like the $1700 E-5 and an entry-level DSLR like the E-620.

But Pentax was always good about these sort of build features, just like Olympus. Nonetheless, I'm guessing their $1000 mid-range DSLR will give Olympus' top DSLR a run for its money. Good thing we have the OM-D, lol...

Me too. ;) A weather sealed system, to me, is something I want to be able to "take everywhere". Compact form is also another important aspect of a good go-anywhere camera, which is what the E-1, E-3, and E-5 lack. This is why I always wanted an E-510 with E-3 sealing... which never did happen but now we have something even BETTER in the OM-D. ;)

9. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Well, looks like this may be my next purchase, my K20D is a fine camera but it can't match the speed and ISO of this little gem.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Very nicely spec'd camera. I had the K5 for a year, and it was a joy to use. Unbelievable high ISO performance for an APS-C sensor.

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't shoot me on this one -- this camera makes it look like the OM-D is significantly overpriced :frown:

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Not really. They are in the same competition tier, in my opinion.

Unless of course the K30 should've been priced at 800-900, instead of 1000. That'd make more sense given that the K5 can be had for 1100 sometimes.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with Armanius. This camera is right in line with the OM-D...

I must admit though, it kinda makes the E-5 a little overpriced, lol.

14. In what way? All I see in favour of the Pentax is a slightly faster max shutter speed (1/6000) and focus peaking while it is missing a number of key features found in the Olympus. I think that they compare quite evenly on value for money, notwithstanding the fact that the K30 is still a DSLR.

15. Computer Controlled

Computer Controlled Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Larry Kleinke
    I just sold my K-r to fund my Pan-Leica 25mm, so i'll most likely grab this one and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 to replace it. I love Pentax =o]

16. Bhupinder2002

Hahah I am tempted as well.It can be my second camera body along with OMD .The best of both worlds . I love feel of pentax cameras and they do have some lovely primes .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea, I am, but I will be waiting a while to find someone selling it used for under one thousand US dollars :wink:

18. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

At a very competitive $849 body only or an amazing $899 with the very good 18-55mm kit lens, it's a steal. I suggest that, to people who are not already devoted to m4/3, the K-30 and kit lens might be a more sensible proposition than an expensive E-M5 kit with the disappointing 12-50mm.

The Sony-made 16 MP sensor in the K-30 is the same as in the mirrorless K-01 and improved over the one in the Pentax K-5 which is due for replacement this year. It is a remarkable sensor, probably the best of all the APS-C sensors available at this time, with very low noise and up to 14 stops of dynamic range.

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Looks good. Not that I'm tempted by one (I like my Canon kit, thanks), but Pentax DSLRs are the only other ones I can get along with intuitively. Nikon and Sony drive me a little mental ;)

20. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it features with a 100% FOV OVF, which is quite impressive.

however there's nothing except the AF speed attracts me more than the K-01 does