Pentax 85-210 f3.5, good for m4/3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Curtox, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Curtox

Curtox Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My elderly neighbor came across his old camera gear today, and among the fray was the SMC Pentax 85-210mm f3.5 lens. The constant f3.5 on the barrel grabbed my attention, naturally, and the idea 420mm on a :43: body really got me thinking. A quick google search lead me to this info:
    K 85-210/3.5

:eek: Yup, it's apparently quite a rare gem. To collector's at least, having some pretty great optical properties and only being made for one year in 1976. So my question is, should i be considering making an offer to acquire this lens, and hopping on Amazon to buy an adapter to use it with my G3?

Also, any particular make/type of adapter I should aim for?

The weight of this lens is fairly immense, at over 1kg. I'd be using it for birding and wildlife in general. Obviously, using it for birds in flight would be quite a chore though.

Leading me to final question, focusing. Does anybody have any experience with an old clunker like this gem, and trying to manual focus with the EVF while balancing, etc.?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

P.S. It appears to be in incredible condition.
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I've used the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 on a G3 and an OMD. In good light, with a relatively fast SS, it worked well producing very nice images. Without stabilization, it's tougher in low light. I couldn't use a tripod effectively because of lack of a tripod collar on the lens. The lens was big, especially extended to 210mm! Gave it away eventually because I didn't like hauling it around.
  3. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Well my 50-250 OM zoom is a bit lighter than that at 800g but about as long. Handling is difficult due to the weight and fears of tearing the mount off the camera. I only use it at home, focussing is not so difficult on static subjects, but hopeless at the long end for anything that moves as DOF is very shallow. I keep it for a bit of fun, but I'd never choose to carry it anywhere as it defeats the point of m43.