Showcase Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC K-Mount

Dewi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dewi
This review is for the Pentax M K mount SMC 50mm f1,7 lens NOT the Takumar as in the thread title - as no such lens exists in 50mm F/L . (The thread title should really be amended to avoid confusion).

This seems to be a great little lens from what I've seen of it's results so far. I've only had it a day or so at the time of writing this and so far I'm very impressed with it, especially given that it cost me just £15 and is in incredibly good condition.

Here are a few sample images - these are shot in RAW at f5.6 1/200th sec ISO 200 handheld

First off, straight out of camera with no PP at all other than a reduction in size and a file conversion to JPEG, there's been no additional sharpening or other image manipulation.

View attachment 342538

This is a 100 crop, again straight from camera in RAW and converted to JPEG no image manipulation whatsoever

View attachment 342539

And finally the same image with a bit of PP applied in Photoshop - Smart Sharpen and Auto Tone with a slight colour adjustment
jo2_zps1d801fe9.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This could turn out to be a little gem of a lens.

D

Dave Reynell

Can anyone tell me how I can post a picture (actually a composite of two images) to this forum. Given, yes given ! A 50mm/f1.7 Pentax-M some time back I clipped it onto my Panasonic G1 a few days ago (with a cheap adapter - most certainly not a Novoflex) and took a wide-angle pano of a local scene. The camera was set up on a tripod and I obviously, had to focus manually. I was staggered by the quality of the final images. Hence my request.

With thanks

Dave

Dewi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dewi
You'll have to open an account at a photo hosting site such as Flikr or Photobucket, then copy and paste the url link or image code into your post here.

Here's are a couple of shots I took today on my Olympus0 E PL5 with the 50mm Pentax SMC f1.7 I bought a few weeks ago if you click on the photo it'll take you back to their source on Photobucket, Flikr is probably better for serious photography but I never got on with it. If I want to post decent shots I can host them on my own website.

P3110049_zps27f7755d.jpg

P3110046_zps53ca8d0d.jpg

D

Dave Reynell

Thanks Dewi,

I like your pics. It's just dawning on me that the SMC Pentax-M 50mm/f1.7 was/is a particularly good piece of glass and works beautifully on micro-four-thirds cameras. I'll post one of my photo's when I've got something worthwhile.

Dave

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Assorted Images

A few shots taken with my 50mm f/1.7 Pentax lens - mounted on my GX7 - which is particularly well-suited to this lens thanks to the GX7's brilliant built-in focus-peaking abilities.

First a Halloween mask, hanging from the end of a bookshelf in my writing office -

13347876365_03bf75267f_b.jpg

Mask by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Then some small "kitchen deities" - Japanese wooden 'kitchen gods' who survey their kingdom from a perch on a shelf high above he kitchen -

13348127615_27155eaf34_b.jpg

Kitchen Gods by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

And finally, last but not least, a rather bizarre image - of a Chinese toy car, driven by two tiny all-American-looking plastic dolls - which lives atop a bookshelf next to an array of books.

13348162654_ee1bd1b2d1_b.jpg

Bookcase Driving Dolls by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
D

Dave Reynell

I was given mine, attached to a K2 body (now defunct) and it lay about for quite a while. Then I got a PK/MTF adapter and wow ! It produces the most spectacular, stitched, landscape panoramics. The focal length is simply perfect for this application. I love the sheer quality of this lens. No need for expensive Pana-Leicas anymore !

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
A momentary derailment (sorry, if it annoys anyone), how does the SMC 50mm f1.7 compare to the Oly 50mm f1.8 in terms of optical performance?

HaViet

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow...amazing images.

I think I am going to get one myself. Could you tell which adapter you're using with this lens?

Thanks

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have two copies and usually try to stop down a bit at least to f2.2. About the Leica comparison, I don't think it would lose by much! My Konica Hexanon 50/1.7 matches it but it's bigger and I had to make my own stop at f2.2 so avoid the wide-open ghosting most of these lenses have. Regradless, the Pentax 50 is a great lens with great character and probably my favorite to use!

(All straight out of camera jpeg [PM2] & downsized. No sharpening, no cropping, nothing.)

9309748721_ec0a857ba1_c.jpg

9312536100_983c92806b_c.jpg

9309741785_1c45d1bb70_c.jpg

13825911073_1258d4dae1_c.jpg

13826542545_fdea3d8859_c.jpg

13825915205_7ff6d1560e_c.jpg

PENpal

Mu-43 Veteran
P4133304.JPG

Got excited to find in a Salvation Army Thrift Shop 2 Pentax 50 mms - f2.0 and f1.7 sold for $9 each. Although I already have the same f2.0 bought from a fellow Mu-43 member, I decided to buy both. Then went to another local antique shop to check if I could trade the f2.0 for another lens. Lo and behold, they had a Cosmicar 28mm f 2.8 that looks exactly like the the Pentax lens. Talked to the owner and he agreed to swap. 'Twas a lucky day for me I guess.

D

Dave Reynell

A momentary derailment (sorry, if it annoys anyone), how does the SMC 50mm f1.7 compare to the Oly 50mm f1.8 in terms of optical performance?

Not a problem. I'm not sure how the two would compare, but if it is of any help, I have used my excellent G1 "kit" - the 14 ~ 45 (not 42) zoom to shoot a similar landscape scene on a number of occasions (as a photo-monitoring project) and have found the Pentax 50mm/f1.7 equal in every way.

If someone could explain to me how to post a few examples, I'll be happy to do so.

Dave

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for that Dave.
I just happen to have a Pentax MX with a number of lenses, including the SMC 50 1.7. I might pick myself an adaptor and give it a whirl!
Steve

Dewi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dewi

Hi Richo - sorry for delay in replying, I've only just spotted this. I looked at getting the Oly f1.8 50mm before going for the Pentax f1.7 50mm. I looked at several sample images from it and it appeared to produce blown out whites from what I could see, and somebody else also commented on the same thing. I guess the camera body would also have an effect on that though but I don't have any such issues with the little Pentax on My Oly E-PL5. Hope that helps

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
I saw this thread and as I haven't actually tried to capture this 'bokeh' using my SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm, I decided to grab a shot or two in the local urban area. I think I may have to work on it a little...
Tree.jpg

I own the SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm as well so my next project is to take them both out for a walk and compare shots of the same subject/settings when I get home.

D

Dave Reynell

Here's an attempt to upload an image of mine taken with my G1 and the SMC Pentax-M 50mm/f1.7. A panorama of three stitched images.

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
I give up !

Upload your image to a file host like Photobucket Dave. You'll then get a link to the image which, once you delete the URL info, you can paste directly in this forum.

GrosvenorCrescent.jpg

Taken with a Pentax smc f1.7/50mm @f5.6 on a GF1.

Latest threads

Top Bottom