Showcase Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC K-Mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by phigmov, Aug 22, 2010.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Picked this lens up a few months ago on TradeMe (NZ eBay equivalent).

Waiting for Spring to have Sprung so I can take it out and get some more flowers as the bokeh is particularly trippy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. theunartist

theunartist Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm going to assume the OP might have meant a Pentax SMC-m 50 f1.7 lens, which would be a K-mount and not a Takumar. There are no Takumars listed at this focal length and aperture...

This particular lens is considered a "must have" with most Pentax users. It produces sharp images, with great color and contrast along with super bokeh. The size of lens is very very small, just on this side of pancake. It's rated slightly higher than it's f1.4 version.

You should be able to buy this lens for under $50. The most important thing to look for is a properly functioning aperture, without this the lens will be almost worthless. As for resale, you should be able to make your investment back...

Recent images with the M 50/1.7
    [​IMG]
    panam50 by theunartist, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    panam50-2 by theunartist, on Flickr

• Like Like x 24
  3. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    Not sure what the original poster meant, but here are a few of my first images with my $50 Craigslist Pentax 50mm 1.7:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (these must be some of the most-photographed oranges ever....looking through my test shots folder there are dozens of photos of them from different angles, with different lenses, at different times of day and varying degrees of ripeness)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  4. derick

derick Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    [​IMG]
    another portrait from my garden

• Like Like x 10
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wonderful samples..these nice 50's (I got an OM personally) really lessen my desire to pick up the Oly 45 1.8.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Would it be possible for Admin to change the title? No such thing as a K-mount Takumar 50/f1.7

7. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    On today's drive home from work, a group of Buddhist Monks were walking along the road. I stopped to grab a few photos, they kept walking, so manual focusing was a challenge. This one flashed this great smile as he walked by.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Remember the Body Snatchers movie, where they emerged from their pods and the sticky stuff? :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    Just waiting on Pentax K-mount adapter, then I will post pictures using mine.

I bought a Pentax ME Super with this lens for only £20!

I can't wait to use it!

:bravo-009: Some nice pictures in this thread that vindicate my purchase.

:biggrin:

10. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Picked mine up on a Pentax ME Super also, for $25 with a working flash unit, some filters, a nice leather bag, and a pretty much useless Bell & Howell zoom. The Super is jammed, unfortunately, maybe KEH will buy it as an "ugly".

This is, so far, my favorite thrift store lens find - it's the one that stays on the Oly.

• Like Like x 2
  11. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Acorn

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
  13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Great photos, everyone! Can this lens be used at f2, or does it click into place only at 1.7 and 2.8? Thanks!

14. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    I recently bought both Pentax A 50mm f1.7 ('84-89) for $59 and the M ('77-83) for $29 (both K-mount, this thread title needs to have "Takumar" removed). I have taken quite a few good photos with both. The A is a touch lighter due to plastic parts, but I think maybe the M feels a bit more solid. Optically I don't see a real world difference between them. The A sells for more so is the more desirable lens. I'll eventually sell one and keep the other after doing a side by side comparison, but for the time being I'll just post some pics. Also, if the mods don't change the name of this thread I'm thinking of starting a new one!

The below shots are all taken the A lens (aperture is a guess, but if at all possible i would have kept it around 5 where it's at its sharpest. I would only lower if it if meant not hitting ISO 1600):

Waterfall: ISO 200, tripod, f/4.5
    Fallen logs: ISO 800, handheld, f4.5
    Bench: ISO 400, handheld, f/2
    Log & branch: ISO 200, tripod, f/4
    Tree trunk: ISO 1600, handheld, f/2.8

My hands are very steady, I have the PM2's IBIS set to 50mm, but I find it VERY hard to keep this 100mm equivalent focal distance steady and get a lot of blurry shots with these two lenses (as well as with my Oly 40-150mm).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  15. tjdean01

Feb 20, 2013
    This lens is sharp! I don't remember if I used the M or the A but I was about 4 feet away f4.0. Straight from camera no editing except for resize on first photo and second photo is 100% crop straight from camera basic quality jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Help needed,

I bought from flea market SMC Pentax-A 50mm/1.7 for 40€. I wonder how much I paid extra...

Anyway, I got it now and I haven't been playing with adapters. Which one would serve best my PEN E-P5 together with this lens? I'd appreciate a lot some guidance here, thanks.

17. kakilima

kakilima New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2013
    Very nice and sharp!! I've got this lens one week ago, still learning shoot on my gf1 and epl3, I don't have evf so little bit hard to focus the subject..
    two thumbs
    cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Sorry guys, forget this. I already searched again and found the answers. Now I could quote our famous F1 driver Kimi Räikkönen: "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" :thumbup:

19. Good Luck drum

I recently bought a slightly used Lumix GX7 (fabulous Mu-43 camera by the way), and just paired it with my Pentax 50mm f/1.7....a great combination so far.

This was taken in my writing office - of a tiny Chinese 'good luck' drum which hangs here, to bring inspiration and help combat writer's block.

[​IMG]
    Good luck drum by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

As you can see, the lens creates wonderful bokeh effects.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Desktop demon

Also in my writing study, a tiny collection of action figures stands at attention, including this warrior from a toy army who is a vigilant defender of the stacks of manuscripts and pages that litter my desk.

[​IMG]
    Desk demon by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

I love this lens btw. As a former avid Pentaxian (back in the analog days) I owned several 50mm lenses, both of the Takumar and SMC Pentax variety; I think the f/1.7 is among the sharpest of the lot.

• Like Like x 2