1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Pentax 43mm f/1.8 FA Limited

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by rparmar, Oct 27, 2012.

1. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    The Pentax FA 43mm f/1.8 Limited is one of the two best lens I have ever used. It was designed to be the perfect normal focal length on 35mm film (AKA "full frame"). It's an unusual focal length on Pentax APS-C digital cameras, and works out to 86mm equivalent on Olympus MFT... which is a perfect portrait focal length!

Besides the incredible handling, this lens is small and has a nice custom screw-on hood. More important, it renders unlike any other I have had the pleasure of using, except perhaps for its sister, the FA 77mm Limited. The look is neutral, without overt bokeh effects or anything of the like. But it provides a lovely volumetric rendering, with plenty of fine detail.

I don't use it as often as I might on Olympus, since I have several other lenses in this focal range and the length of the required adapter is a bit off-putting. For that reason I never though to post here, until I realised no-one else had accounted for this lens. That's rather unbelievable for a lens this superior.

As an aside, Pentax made a version of this lens for Leica, the only time they ever ventured into a different mount!

5850819483_85a5b01c74_o.

5854919550_4f60254166_o.

I have tons of shots on Pentax DSLR using this lens, if you want to check out Flickr.

• Like Like x 8
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The lens is reportedly terrific. It's not a 1.8 but a 1.9, correct? On Ebay they're going for around $700. Sure would like one! I bought the poor's man's one, however: Hexanon 40mm f1.8. That in itself is supposed to be wonderful as well! Wanna trade?

3. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Oh darn, yes, it is a f/1.9. I can never keep the specs for the three FA Limiteds straight in my head! Thanks for the correction.

4. qriousquala

qriousquala New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2013
    It is a very nice lens, sharp and small. I have one that I use frequently with my Pentax K01 when I wanted a light package.

I don't use it as much on EP3 as I also have the olym 45mm which is very close to 45mm in the focal length.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Anyone have any samples of this lens vs the 45/1.8?

And speaking from experience the Hexanon 40/1.8 is horrific at 1.8, ok at 2.8, decent at f4, very good at f5.6.

6. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    A quick snapshot with the FA43 mounted via Novoflex on GX7... I'm not sure of the aperture, but I think it was f/4.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2