1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Pentax 400mm f/5.6 SMC Takumar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by kurtwist, Jul 4, 2012.

1. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    A beautifully made beast that performs very well when stopped down at least one stop. In my experience, the 400 mm Telyt is handier, lighter, sharper, and t stop at full aperture is very similar
    400mm_f5_6_SMCTakumar.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    400 mm smc Takumar

400mmf5_6_SMCTakumar.JPG

I unintentionally duplicated the thread entry for this lens. Does anyone know how to delete one of them?
    Thanks,
    Kurt

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    • Like Like x 2
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    • Like Like x 4
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    How difficult is it to focus and follow with this lens?

I have a monster Vivitar 600 f/8 preset that is nowhere close to the optics of yours. Mine is glowy, slow and just not sharp. I find it incredibly difficult to find, focus and following anything with it. Something more along the lines of your lens sounds interesting.

6. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Manual focus requires lots of practice. The Novoflex system works very well, but
    focus screens on film cameras were generally much easier to use.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It takes a bit of practice to get used to it. I used to buy telephoto primes and be immediately disappointed at the quality. Every time. Then I realized that each lens takes time to figure out how to use properly. Maybe because I've been using a lot of manual lenses (especially telephotos) lately, but maybe because this lens is a bit more forgiving than the rest, it took me very little time to start getting respectable results with this lens.

A few things I do:
    - I always focus using the EVF and 5x magnification...that in itself is a ridiculous proposition with a 400mm lens (sooo much movement haha), but once you get used to it, not that bad
    - I've figured out that if I focus on something along the focus plane, I have better results than if I focus on whatever I actually want to focus on. (IE: for this photo, I tried to focus on the grass at the bird's feet, not on his eyes...but since I knew the eyes were at the same distance, it worked out well...the advantage is that you can literally see the depth of field moving back and forth if you focus on the ground...whereas it's a little more difficult if you choose the eyes...at least for me).
    - I haven't even tried to follow focus...well, that's a lie...I tried once. Failed miserably. Want to master still targets first, and then work on following!
    - I did apply a VERY LIGHT unsharp mask to the photo. It's definitely a sharp lens (I think when I nail it, it's sharper than my Pentax 200 f4, which I just sold).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    I do much the same - focus on something in the same plane
    - shoot when in focus and composition is usually OK - about 1/10 success rate

• Like Like x 1
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Vancouver and or - island is on my list. Maybe next september. We fell in love with Canada this spring