1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pentacon 50m f 1.8 / Helios 44-2 58mm f 2 / Fuji Fujinon 55mm f 2.2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RaZZ3R, Sep 7, 2011.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Hi, I recived my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 about a week ago :yahoo: and I'm on a search for a manual lens for portrait, low light and macro (with the according M42 Macro Extensions Tubes of course). Previously I had a Pentax K200D and the SMC Pentax M-50mm f 1.7 and I was loving it so much that it was my walkaround lens and shot maybe 50% of my shots with it so I really love playing manual. The most that interests me is the pronunciation level of bokeh (the more out of focus effect the better), smaller DOF as posible and lastly the better sharpness wide open (I will use it at maximum aperture as posible 98% of the time). One thing that is really interesting is the busy bokeh the Fujinon lens has, I find it fascinating and impresiv, the prices is about the same for all 3 of them (~30$ each).

Witch one would you recommend in term of IQ?

Next lens would be a 135mm f 2.8 :biggrin: (get 270mm f 2.8 lens on ASP-C senzor at this price :p if you can).

2. Marcula

Marcula Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    The Fujinon was the first M42 lens I used with my GF1, and it's got real character -

P1010471.

I don't have experience of the other two choices you mention. For a little extra money, you might get a 50mm f/1.7 Hexanon (although you'd need an AR mount adaptor, not an M42). Very highly regarded glass.

For the 135mm - loads of choice of f/2.8 glass. I have a Pentax (K mount) f/2.5 135mm which is rather good too, around $40, I think.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Both of these focal lengths are so flooded with competitors that you really can't go wrong. Really just choose one and jump in, especially for $30. Keep in mind that you have less bokeh with a micro-4/3 camera, so you may want to increase your budget and go for something like a Rokkor/Hexanon/Nikkor/Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, but those lenses are less bang for the buck, for the 2/3 stop improvement you get in aperture.

135mm lenses are simple to make. Get one from a trusted lens maker, and you'll be happy. Personally, I have a Nikkor just because I have an F-mount adapter. I actually have some Konica lenses that have been in my closet for a long time, and I think I'm going to pay them forward soon, since people are using lenses so much more these days.

4. lkgroup

lkgroup Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Helios 44M F2/58mm in excellent shape. I am only keeping my 50 1.4 Takumar for use with my Pentax Spotmatic and selling my other M42 lenses.

For $40 You can get the Helios lens and I will throw in a 135mm M42 mount (Same as the Helios) F2.8 made in Japan. Both lens are very nice shape 9/10 with no Fungus or other glass problems.

$40 Plus shipping. Let me know and I can send pictures. Also, Any questions or interest PM me.

leo

L Christoffer
    in Washington State

5. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Where I live the lens choices are quite limited (I cound only find old Pentacon, Helios, Meyer, Porst, Carenar, Prakticar, Makinon, Hanimex, Industar, Panagor, Mirage, Ricoh, Komuranon, Soligor, Revuenon, Sancor, Albinar, etc and very few Canon, Nikon, Carl Zeiss, Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron for higher quality lens) and the price is higher then makets like eBay, Amazon and Adorama. The reason I chosen M42 adaptor was for higher quantity and compatibility choises ( I have yet to find any Hexanon lenses in Romania).

Of my understanding when using any lenses (adapted or not) the bockeh and DOF is very diferent compared to Full Frame 35mm or even ASP-C crop format, so the lenses I selcted would act like f 3.5 to f 4 (depending on the aperture of the lens) because of the smaller senzor and the croping of the center of the lens. So the question would be if it would make a significant diferent of 0.2 f-stop betwen this lenses in terms of OOF quality of the bokeh (it's important to me because I did wilingly sacrificest the DOF when I chosen the smaller M43 format, and I still don't regret it because it's so much fun to play with the Panasonic G2 that I bearly live the house anymore without it, over 1000 shots in one week).

At the moment I do incline on the Fuji Fujinon 55mm f 2.2 for the bokeh quality but still no one commented on the sharpness of the lenses, yet, and my buget is quite low (it wasn't easy buying the G2) and I'm gathering money for more equipment (camera case, tripod, UV filter, second battery and more).

6. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Thanks for the offer but it's to much or me at the moment (with the shipement expenses that is) but if you ever did trie to come here it would be nice to meet and make the trade. How's the weather in Washington, I really love the rainy weather in that part of the country, especialy the Olympia National Park. Maybe one day I could make it there :)

7. lkgroup

lkgroup Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    No problem with the deal. Actually in Washington State most of the area gets little rain, about 30in. in a year. We just get a lot of cloudy weather in the winter. We have had only had a couple showers in the last two months and currently have a temperature of 80+ every day.

Even the rain forest of the Olympics is dry (Ususally very wet in the winter) with several forest fires burning.

The eastern part of Washington is Dry hot desert and very good for farming with the water from the Columbia river.

Have a fun time looking for the lenses you want.

Leo