1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Penmanship

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Rudi, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    ... it's a dying art!

Most people these days don't realise that writing with a fountain pen is actually easier on your hand, and will improve your penmanship at the same time... ... This is the Pelikan M1000 - the largest, most magnificent fountain pen that Pelikan make (and they make some magnificent fountain pens :biggrin:). The M1000 nib has been described by others as "the size of a teaspoon!" :rofl:

And they're not far off - it's a beautiful, smooth-writing 18-carat gold two-tone nib. Notice the tiny ink droplets (Waterman Blue-Black Ink, before you ask):
    [​IMG]

Workmanship is outstanding. The attention to detail is second to none:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a little writing sample for you:
    [​IMG]

Comments welcome. Anyone here still use a fountain pen?

• Like Like x 9
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great photos of the M1000!

I use fountain pens every day. Since I need them to fit in a front shirt pocket, the long pens such as the M1000 don't work for me. I have tried one though, and it was an amazing writer - extra fine nib with some nice flex for a modern pen.

My daily drivers are Pelikan M200s and Parker 75s.

Some of my favorite pens have been sold to finance lenses. Had a beautiful Aurora Optima (burgunde Auroloide) which went this route :frown:.

3. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    $500 for a pen? yeah OK. That's another lens for my camera.

Sadly, writing certainly is a dying art. The last time I hand wrote a letter I was a kid I think.

The world and technology evolves. Within my kid's lifetime pens and pencils will be almost like relics.

4. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

you are absolutely right about penmanship....it went the away a long time ago when they eliminated that subject in public school......it's thumbs now :2thumbs:!! I had a Parker and a Waterman pen but the rubber tubes wore out and could not get them replaced locally.....sad....but true.:mad:

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My penmanship is awful. For that reason my mother always held out hope I would become a doctor.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Nice to ear from another fountain pen aficionado! :smile: I have a clear M205 demonstrator and a blue translucent M205, use them for coloured inks for highlighting stuff and important notes.

You don't need to spend $500 on a fountain pen! In fact, you can get a disposable Pilot fountain pen for a couple of bucks, and a refillable one for about double that, if you know where to shop. Good for the environment, AND your handwriting! :biggrin:

There are plenty of places that will repair them, even these days. It's not a well-known fact of course, but it is a fact.

:rofl: How did that work out? :biggrin:

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I ruined a blue translucent M205 a couple weeks ago. Accidentally got rubbing alcohol all over it - has some sort of reaction with the plastic that turns it a blotchy white and released a terrible "your pen is being ruined" smell.

8. Blue Cube Imaging

Blue Cube Imaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon, USA
    Love a good fountain pen, that is a lovely instrument.

The art of penmanship is indeed on the decline. Recently a newspaper article announced that Oregon schools (where I live) will stop teaching cursive writing in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    yes. but the pen pictured costs about $500. obviously inexpensive fountain pens exist.

10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I went into IT. Keyboards are my life. And I cannot touch type either so I can't win.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Uh-oh! :eek:

A lot of schools don't teach cursive at all. I've been in Australia since 1980, and they never taught cursive here since that time.

Yeah, but this pen, if you take reasonable care, will last several generations! It has an all-brass piston mechanism on the inside, and the iridium-tipped nib will still have some tipping left after 100 years of writing. All you have to do is buy some ink once in a while, and that is very cheap. And you can change colours, etc, etc.

I'm not saying that everyone should buy an expensive fountain pen. And I do agree that they are expensive. I just don't think that they are bad value, long-term! (Especially when given or received as gifts). I don't see much point in buying a ballpoint... well... because as expensive as it is, it's still a mere ballpoint! But I do see value in a nice fountain pen. :thumbup:

12. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Don't give up. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I've pretty much always used a fountain pen, since I was given one (a Parker Vector in stainless steel) for my A Levels, that I also used all through Uni.

Curiously, when last I met up with some alumni for a "meal" (eat?ha!) I was swelled with pride to hear anecdotally that my notes were general preference to copy from because of the "lovely writing" - from girls no less!

Now I use a Parker Sonnet, it's well worn in and feels lovely, I might get a fancy pen one day, but my wife is just getting used to the lens buying, so I had better stick with the Sonnet and E-p1 for a while :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    That's what you get when you use a pen for a long time, and get to really know it! When I was at school, I could tell if anyone borrowed my pen while I was out (even though we all used fountain pens, I could tell. The nib "settles" into your precise angle of handwriting, and if anyone uses it for more than just a quick note, you can actually feel the difference. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference these days, but then I don't end my pens out. :biggrin:).

P.S. The Sonnet is not exactly a cheap pen, either. Not these days...

EDIT: Wait, there is *one* model of the Sonnet that is cheaper than all the others, the stainless chrome trim. Around $60, if you know where to shop.

15. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Rudi for this thread. The photographs are really great! I like them much.
    I'm writing using Parker and Lama. And the keyboard of course...

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    First off, I have horrible handwriting. I have large hands and I don't find pens easy to use. I am more graceful with a pair of chopsticks, and that ain't saying much!

Now I will spend some coin on a good mechanical pencil. As an engineer, a good pencil is invaluable.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm lucky when I buy a pens that a pen doesn't find its way into the wash after a week. Or I leave it somewhere.

18. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    In 2010 an expensive pen is a lot like an expensive wrist watch. They are both very well made, beautiful to look at but not all that useful anymore.

There was a time when I couldn't think of leaving my house without my Explorer II on my wrist. Today I feel that way about my smartphone and the watch lives in its in winding box.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    A pencil also provides feedback when writing, so it's also a great writing instrument. And I agree - a nice mechanical pencil is a thing of beauty (and function :smile:).

Meh. I still enjoy looking at my nice wristwatch, and I enjoy writing with my nice fountain pen (not always an expensive one). I also enjoy good food and a nice bottle of wine once in a while, etc, etc. Life is too short to go without the little things! If they're not important to you, fine, it probably looks like a waste of money from your point of view. From my point of view, it looks like you're missing out! :smile: And despite what I just wrote, I don't actually own that many things. (I don't drive a nice car for example). But.... the few things I do own, I own for a reason (I enjoy them).

P.S. Re: "not all that useful anymore" - My dog is completely useless! Not useful at all. But I still wouldn't want to give him up... I enjoy his company. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. linkedit

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Not a waste of money. I was a commercial still life photographer for 16 years and love things like well made pens and wrist watches.

I just don't find the usefullness in them. I got a Waterman pen as a gift about 20 years ago and it has been out of the box maybe 4 times. I won't carry it around because I'll most certainly loose it. So for me, what am I going to do with it? Use it to take down phone messages at home?

It's all what people like. I'd rather have an M9 than an pricey watch.