PEN w/ 75-300 II.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Johbremat, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Yes, I can take my E-P5 to the store and try it on. In fact, handled the combo and doesn't feel too bad.

But interested in an experienced user's...experience, using the lens on any PEN.

Opinions on balance? Handling? Feeling that it's well secured to the body?

(And because I like to watch, any pics of the lens on your camera would be welcome)

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I have an E-P5 (and a gripped E-M5) and the Panasonic 100-300 (which is similar but a little larger than the 75-300). Personally, I wouldn't want to use the 100-300 with the E-P5. It's comfortable on the E-M5 with its grip, but even on that camera, I wouldn't want to use it gripless.

The E-P5 IMHO is a rangefinder-style camera and big telephotos just don't suit that form factor.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use the 100-300mm on my E-P3 regularly. I cradle the lens in my left hand and have no problem holding the camera with my right hand. The larger lens sits comfortably on my palm with my elbow into my chest making a very stable position and it's actually a better feel than using a smaller lens. I think it comes down to personal style/preference. YMMV. :cool:

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I borrowed an E-P5 for a bit before I bought an E-M1. The size of the 75-300 is deceiving. It's a lot smaller than the literature suggests.

You're basically getting a 600mm zoom in about the size of a 350ml can of Coke. It's also a narrower lens which makes it feel better on a smaller camera. It is quite dense feeling for such a small size. It feels more solid than my old Canon 100-300USM.

I didn't find it to be all that weird to handle. I did find I needed the IBIS to control it. It can get very shaky towards the long end and the ergonomics of the E-P5 may have something to do with that.

Definitely try it yourself. Your own hand physiology will determine how natural it feels. It usually takes a few hours of use to see what a longer lens does to your wrists and hands as you work with it.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Get used to the fact you're holding the camera by the lens and you'll be fine. No difference from shooting fullframe telezooms on a no gripped DSLR. Heck, the 50-200 (43 version) with adapter balances perfectly fine with an E-M1 (no extra grip) and the 100-300 worked great on my E-M5, which other than the EVF is about the same size as an E-P5.

I've never understood folks who claim a lens is too big for a given camera. Matter of taste I guess, and I have an aversion to grips that increase camera size.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, maybe it's more of an aesthetic thing. I personally think anything bigger than one of the Oly primes looks "wrong" on the Pens. TBH, I even find the 75 looks odd. Maybe it's because every time I see a big lens on a Pen, I immediately think "Nex" and want to run away!! It's a personal opinion of course and probably completely irrational, but there it is!

7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It may look like a NEX, but the Olympus will actually get focus on your target!
    :horse::hide:

8. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Funny you say that. Not for aesthetic reasons, but I actually bought the E-P5 for using my primes and odds, while the E-M1 would have PRO lenses exclusively glued to it. Not for

This is what I expect my kit to look like come the end of 2015:

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    • E-P5
      • O12
      • O17
      • O75
      • O60M
      • O75-300
    [/TD] [TD]
    • E-M1
      • O7-14PRO
      • O12-40PRO
      • O40-150PRO
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

9. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    I think you have to consider the capability before aesthetics of the rig.
    The EP5 is a very clean shooting camera. Sure, it is made to be skinny and portable and all that. So, when you need it to be that way, slip on a pancake and go "blend in".

But, when you need or want to tackle more distant targets, it comes down to getting the job done.

I used to tote a full size DSLR Nikon body with the wondrous 70-200 f/2/8 lens, and also a full size Canon DSLR with the 100-400mm Canon lens that looks like Herman Munster's thermos.
    It was the pictures I was after, not "balance" or how did they look. They performed.

There is something magical when you get something distant in the sights of your lens, and you hear that wonderful "ffffft" sound from engaging the trigger, and your so far away no one hears you.

I think a PEN with a big hooter of a lens on it actually looks bad ass.
    And it will perform. You can break it down to tote it to the target.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It will perform, and it'll be a hell of a lot lighter than a DSLR with a 100-400 or similar. I know. I traded up. (or sideways, anyway).