PEN Story, 60,000 shots, 9600 prints

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mikefellh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In discussing Olympus ads in another thread, I realized those who are newer to the camera/Olympus may never have seen this...enjoy:

[ame=]The PEN Story - YouTube[/ame]

One thing that bugs me, what happened to the wife and daughter? If it was divorce you should see the daughter at least once in the later shots, unless the bastard abandoned his family! Were the wife and daughter killed? If so why didn't they show shots of the funeral? They just vanish from his life!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    He found out the child wasn't his....don't you see how happy he is?
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cool.. that's a first viewing for me.

Yeh... I agree.. you would hope that the voyage through life would include your closest of companions such as your children and spouse.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, you've got to listen to the lyrics and subtext. Everything in his life changes.....except the camera. That PEN is the one thing he can stick with.
  5. So, he ends up alone and obsessing over photographic gear. Printing off endless "test shots"? Sounds like a few people I've met on the internet. The marketing zombies did their homework for once!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I hadn't seen this campaign, either. Thanks for sharing.

I agree that it's a bit odd that the family only features in the middle portion, but that notwithstanding this sort of sentimental message about photography is much more appealing to me than the current Olympus ad campaigns. The thing is that this seems to be more an ad for the general idea of photography than for Olympus or PEN cameras in particular. I'm not sure how you'd do something that has the appeal of this ad, but also showcases the unique benefits of PEN/:43:, but that would seem like the ideal.
  7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Should have ended with a funeral.
  8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    And what about the dog? Where's the dog? There should have been a dog! Nobody can go through life truly happy without a dog!

But, yeah, it was a cool 3 minutes. First time I've seen it, too.

Thanks for sharing! (even if there is no dog :frown:)