Pen setup for street photography

mitto68

New to Mu-43
G'day all,

I am keen to have a crack at street photography and could use some tips on setting up my e-p1 and any tecniques that may help. I tried search but had a hard time finding anything.

cheers,

Mick.

mitto68

New to Mu-43
Ah yes that would help. O.K I have the kit zoom but have borrowed a mate's
17mm to try out as i'm keen to buy it. I'm going to Melbourne for the weekend for a concert and plan on having a walk around town to take some photos.

cheers,

Mick.

mitto68

New to Mu-43
Righteo I found a few old posts regarding street photography which have
given me some good ideas and techniques to try out. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

cheers,

Mick

kiynook

Mu-43 Regular
Mick,

Do also borrow the OVF.

Try using zone focusing for fast shooting and even hip shooting, for example

1. set to manual focus and manually focus 17mm to a 9 feet subject
2. set to aperture priority and choose f8
3. set ASA to auto
4. choose RAW
5. i sometimes select sequential shooting and use 0.5EV bracketing

Approximating everything from 7ft to 31ft should be in focus

Love to learn from your experience

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
a few other things....
set the FN button to LCD on/off
When yer on a walk a bout...hitting the fn button will do the screen for you and thus conserve power.

Set the lens reset to no... that way, when you set the focus to a certain distance, the camera will hold that and not change focus even if it powers off and back on....

download DOF Master for your machine and/or phone...
it will aid in finding Hyperfocal Distance....

most important..... get close...then get closer!

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
In terms of hyperfocal, the native lenses are a bit of a pain since they don't tell you the focus distance anywhere (even my s90 does that, fercryinoutloud). So when I'm shooting with the 17, which is what I do 90% of outdoor street shooting with, I set the cam to f11, which gives me a hyperfocal distance of 5.7 feet. Being about 5' 11", I can just focus on the ground and know I'm pretty close to hyperfocal. That way, if I accidentally nudge the focus ring (waaaay too easy to do), I always have a ready point of reference to refocus (since the relationship between eye level and the ground is reasonably consistant).

The s90 is actually a better tool for hyperfocal shooting than the pens, unfortunately, because you can set the focus on a stated length and not have to worry about accidentally changing it.

-Ray

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom