1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pen setup for street photography

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by mitto68, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mitto68

mitto68 New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    G'day all,

I am keen to have a crack at street photography and could use some tips on setting up my e-p1 and any tecniques that may help. I tried search but had a hard time finding anything.

cheers,

Mick.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mick, Gd' Day...
    What lens do ya have or want to use?
    That's the starting place...
    Shooter

3. mitto68

mitto68 New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Ah yes that would help. O.K I have the kit zoom but have borrowed a mate's
    17mm to try out as i'm keen to buy it. I'm going to Melbourne for the weekend for a concert and plan on having a walk around town to take some photos.

cheers,

Mick.

4. mitto68

mitto68 New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Righteo I found a few old posts regarding street photography which have
    given me some good ideas and techniques to try out. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

cheers,

Mick

5. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Mick,

Do also borrow the OVF.

Try using zone focusing for fast shooting and even hip shooting, for example

1. set to manual focus and manually focus 17mm to a 9 feet subject
    2. set to aperture priority and choose f8
    3. set ASA to auto
    4. choose RAW
    5. i sometimes select sequential shooting and use 0.5EV bracketing

Approximating everything from 7ft to 31ft should be in focus

Love to learn from your experience

6. mitto68

mitto68 New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks mate I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
    Mick.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    a few other things....
    set the FN button to LCD on/off
    When yer on a walk a bout...hitting the fn button will do the screen for you and thus conserve power.

Set the lens reset to no... that way, when you set the focus to a certain distance, the camera will hold that and not change focus even if it powers off and back on....

download DOF Master for your machine and/or phone...
    it will aid in finding Hyperfocal Distance....

most important..... get close...then get closer!

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    In terms of hyperfocal, the native lenses are a bit of a pain since they don't tell you the focus distance anywhere (even my s90 does that, fercryinoutloud). So when I'm shooting with the 17, which is what I do 90% of outdoor street shooting with, I set the cam to f11, which gives me a hyperfocal distance of 5.7 feet. Being about 5' 11", I can just focus on the ground and know I'm pretty close to hyperfocal. That way, if I accidentally nudge the focus ring (waaaay too easy to do), I always have a ready point of reference to refocus (since the relationship between eye level and the ground is reasonably consistant).

The s90 is actually a better tool for hyperfocal shooting than the pens, unfortunately, because you can set the focus on a stated length and not have to worry about accidentally changing it.

-Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.