PEN Series, Wider angle through "Scenes" (solved)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mgg, Jul 1, 2014.

1. mgg

mgg New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    I use a E-PL5. I dont know what other PEN or full size models this may apply to.

I mostly use the PASM modes, but I discovered that through use of the scene modes "Fisheye/Wide-angle/Macro" the width of the field is basically doubled, and the vertical extent is similarly increased but by not quite the same amount. The result is a much wider field of view, that has a slightly squashed aspect ratio.

This has been useful for many photo oppurtunities, however is it limited in what other settings can be applied via the scenes. The super menu only shows that the tone is adjused to i-Enhance, but otherwise noting special.

Since the wider image is availble in these scenes, there must be a good portion of the sensor that is normally cropped by the camera software.

Anybody else noticed this, and know how to achieve the same through manual settings?

I'll also try to contact olympus support to see if they can shed any light on the matter. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested or dubious...

-edit- solved it was the digital teleconverter/user error.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm *GUESSING* a similar thing could be achieved by shooting RAW. Our cameras correct for most lens distortion. This is usually at the cost of cropping the original image slightly, but you don't see it. It sounds like you're merely seeing the uncorrected image, which you would be able to see if you shot RAW...I'm not 100% sure, just thinking out loud, if anyone knows better, please correct me.
  3. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Could you please post a picture taken in that mode. I'm interested, not dubious. :wink:
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Hi MGG, and welcome to the forum.

I think you have your EPL5 set with the Digital Teleconverter (DTC) turned on. When you invoke wide-angle in the scenes mode, the camera will jump out of DTC and you then see a 2X increase in the image.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mgg

mgg New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014

Here are a couple of pictures to demonstrate. all taken with a 12mm prime lens (ie no zoom). Effort was made to not move the camera between shots, but were taken without tripod. Looks like uploading the files here as attachements reduces the resolution, but hopefully satisfactory.

Landscape_wide vs landscape_auto - taken 12 feet from my fence. The poles are close to 8ft apart, and there is 16ft of the tape measure extended. In the wide scene mode, we can see past both edges of the 16ft tape measure. in the other modes, here taken with auto, the two 8ft poles mark the edge of the frame.

The vertical_wide and vertical_auto are similarly taken of a tape measure on the floor from standing height (~5.5'). in the wide sence, 48" of the tape is visible from top to bottom plus more past the tape, wheares as in the auto mode only 25" is visible.

I tried earlier with RAW mode, but the extents of the jpg vs raw images as saved by the camera are the same, and the aspect also looks a little distorted on faces. I have tried searching some forums and the web at large for any discussion of this, but can't find the right search terms if it has been discussed previously anywhere.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

6. mgg

mgg New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks HarryS. That was it. I thought I had tested that setting and left it off. I thought it was image interpolation. Aprreciate the help.
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, those first ones aren't at 12mm...
    Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... looks like digital TC was used on the narrow view photo, post the raw images without removing the exif .....