PEN sales/roadmap?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dornblaser, Sep 2, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I haven't been following the PEN line for a while, what is Olympus roadmap with this line? It appears that to me that the line has been abandoned and is going to be phased out?
  2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I don't know how much we should read into this, but Olympus are currently running a "Global Photo Contest" with the winners to be announced in February 2016. The Grand Prize includes "The Latest Olympus PEN camera plus kit lens". One of the options for the third prize is specifically named as the E-PL7, which seems to imply that the unnamed "Latest PEN" is something newer than the E-PL7, and they expect to announce it before next February. Maybe?
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    The prize list is as follows:

1 person out of all entrants will be chosen as the Grand Prize winner, and 14 winners will be selected for each theme.
    • Grand Prize
      Latest Olympus PEN camera and lens, plus 1 million Japanese yen
    • Theme Prizes (one winner each for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Bonus Prize, and 10 Runners-Up, all for each theme)
      First Prize: Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED12-40mm f2.8 PRO
      Second Prize: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II + M.Zuiko Digital ED14-150mm f4.0-5.6 II
      Third Prize: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II + M.Zuiko Digital ED14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ
      Or Olympus PEN Lite E-PL7 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ
    • Bonus Prize: Latest Olympus PEN camera and lens
    • Runners-Up: Moleskine Custom Edition Hardcover Notebook*
      *The Moleskine Custom Edition Hardcover Notebook is a special edition notebook made by Moleskine, featuring a specially designed Olympus camera cover.
    To me, this means that there is a new PEN camera coming out since the first, second and third prizes for categories are still current cameras. Hopefully an E-P7 with a built-in EVF.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ep7 with EvF would be a hit. Hope you are right.
  5. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    An EP-7 with EVF would be hard to resist.
  6. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Why P7, not 6? Looks like almost everyone expects number 7 for some reason.
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I saw this on their website. The grand prize isn't that big, nor are the theme prizes. It's surprising they didn't add the 40-150 Pro to the 1st prizes; it is a worldwide contest, after all, and they retain unlimited use of all images submitted.
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That right there is the one thing that keeps me from entering.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    no entry from me either
    one had to be rather naive to give away his/her images at this (and other) contest and not read the fine print
    then again some are just happy with a shot at the prizes :)
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    E-PL7 is the current model. The E-PL6 had limited regional sales until recently when it became available in the US (I don't know what the situation was in the EU). It's a real bargain now with body and lens for $299.

And yes, a PEN with an EVF and 5 axes IBIS would be tempting.
  11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I may be alone in this thought, but I think that Olympus needs to pull a rabbit out of their hat to save the PEN series.
  12. nan

nan New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2014
    even with EVF built-in they won't sell like they are doing with OM-D line so why waste the resources. Panasonic is struggling with gx7 gx8 sales even though they have basically everything including superior videos. Only style difference between PEN and OM-D to me makes little sense.
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    When was the last time a corporation known throughout the world recognized a photo of yours? When was the last time you sold a print for $700 US (500 AUD) or more?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the Pen sells well in Japan and other Asian markets, so I think for this reason alone we'll see a new model. I can't see it being class -leading or innovative in the way that the E-P5 was though.
    • Agree Agree x 1