1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PEN questions from a GF1 user

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oceans, Feb 22, 2011.

1. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Questions on E-P2 and E-PL2,

Do (/does any of) these PENs perform differently than the Panas with Pana FT/mFT lenses? My regular lens now is the FT PL25/1.4. Beside the PL25 I use old time lenses and I'm tempted by the PEN's IBIS.

Do (/does any of) these PENs have multi-aspect ratio, IOW 3:2 being slightly wider than 4:3 as in the Pana GH-series? Either that or, if I shoot RAW and 3:2, will the entire 4:3 still be captured and saved in RAW?

In your real use experience, could you please rate the stop advantages of IBIS for respective PEN, as well as high ISO performance. High ISO compared to the GF1 is also much appreciated.

Regards,
    oceans

2. When I shoot at 3:2 on my E-P1 and read the RAW file into the supplied software (Olympus Master 2), the full 4:3 image is saved with framelines around the 3:2 image. This will be the default image ratio when you process the file but you can retrieve the 4:3 if you wish. I don't know if you can do the same in Lightroom, aperture, etc.

I've never found the Olympus IBIS on the E-P1 or E-520 to be quite as good as Canon's Image Stabilized lenses but I guess it's okay.

3. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi Nic,

I'm using LR3 to process RAW, thanks for the info on OM2. It would be a real selling point for me if this applies to LR3 as well since i use 3:2 a lot; especially when framing with the LCD, a looser shooting style and fine vertical adjustment of the crop in PP would be really nice.

4. No problems. I should have added that none of the Olympus bodies have a multi-aspect sensor like the GH2 so you do lose megapixels by changing to 3:2. It's good to be able to get them back on the RAW file if required.

5. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    ufraw has no problem at all doing adjustments to the crop. 4:3 is the aspect ratio with the largest image, and all raw files have that whole image. You can actually change aspect ratio after the fact in the camera; from 4:3 down in JPEG mode, and from any to any in raw mode.

There are some handling differences with lenses between the two makes of body. The one that sticks in my memory is the Panasonic 20mm prime; Panasonic bodies correct the chromatic aberration, whereas Olympus bodies do not. I don't know, off hand, whether this holds true across all lenses or varies on a model by model basis. CA on the 20mm is negligible anyway; it's just that with the Lumix cameras, it's gone completely.

6. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    That's all good. I've been slightly bummed that I can't frame 3:2 RAW with the GF1 yet capture the whole 4:3.

The GF1 doesn't correct the PL25's CA either. While I'd certainly use a pro level preset to correct it in LR3, it's rarely if ever a real issue.

I've been looking at alternatives to the GF1 and mFT in general, don't know why it took me a couple of days to realize that the obvious contenders are the PENs. Another great point being the kit 17mm, a more versatile FOV to my favoured PL25 than the 20 is.

7. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Click, ordered a EP2/17/VF2 kit. Daddy pays :)

8. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    It's all right for some. (-:

9. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Yeah, except it just seemed a cool thing to say, at the time; elated to have found what appears a really nice solution.

If it were so with the money, I'd take an M9. Kit, of course :)

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    huh? That's news to me. To my knowledge all RAW files of any brand camera include the entire signal off the chip regardless if you set the cal era to crop or black/white, etc ... Perhaps it's a preset in LR for this camera to show the "as shot" aspect ratio only?

11. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Dang if I've missed something regarding this. In LR3, my GF1 RAW files shot as 3:2, are named "original" aspect ratio. Anything other than that will be a crop from the 3:2. Same with the LX3 when I had one.

The number of captures left on the SD as reported by the GF1, corresponds to pixels captured with each aspect ratio: apparently the 3:2 captures are smaller than the 4:3.