Pen Pro 2 to 3 years away... Oh dear!

Vivalo

Olympus loser
This keeps me hopeful about the E-P3: "In 2011 you will see more PEN products and more lenses (beyond what was discussed in the presentation)."

I think the pro model is not going to be E-P2 replacement, but more like E-5 replacement.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
No problem for me, as long as the new model is released before my EP1's shutter dies... very curious about the new lenses though !

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would not put too much weight in this. Predicting a "Pro" camera in two or three years means that it is really not in the works, but simply a thought somewhere in Olympus. As for the demise of the reflex camera, well, let me just say in 2000 I was told that film would be dead in five years and I have been waiting for the four-day work week ever since its prediction in the 70s.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'm not sure what a "pro" camera is. My own personal holy grail is a Pen (or gf) form with a Sony Nex type and quality screen and GH2 operating and AF speed (and accuracy). Whoever can do that first gets my next m43 dollar. Is that "pro"?

-Ray

icase81

Mu-43 Regular
Yeah, I really would just like an Oly cam with a built in EVF, and more of an SLR 'look' to complement the E-PL1 i have now. Really, I'd aim for better AF, and a better sensor for high ISO performance.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I am happy with my E-P1, but I wish I had EVF and GH2 style AF. Oly should never change the design of the E-PX series!

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would not put too much weight in this. Predicting a "Pro" camera in two or three years means that it is really not in the works, but simply a thought somewhere in Olympus.[...]

Not sure. Olympus has a long standing tradition of extensive R&D; to the point they had to fill the slr market with the stopgap FTL while the OM system was still being worked on, and in fact marketed a mere 8 months after the FTL hit the shelves. From reputable sources, the OM system was a 6 years R&D effort.

IMHO, that prospective RTM date for 'e-pPro' has been synced with the e-5 EOL, to avoid consumers abandoning ship in droves the very month of the e-5 release. Olympus may stick to that plan, or release earlier depending on the market figures. If 4:3 crashes, I predict a huge µ4:3 push and maybe anticipated release of the pro model.

Cheers,

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
My own personal holy grail is a Pen (or gf) form with a Sony Nex type and quality screen and GH2 operating and AF speed (and accuracy).

-Ray

Ray,

There will be a whole conga line following you through the buffet line when Oly / Panny / Sony get your order.... "Frankencamera"

Sounds pretty cool though.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"Pimp your kit lens with creativity"

Really Olympus?
Let's hope your R&D department is more up-to-date than your marketing lingo.

shoturtle

think they are waiting for technologies to catch up. For a pro camera, you really need a faster refresh rate for the evf. They also need a new sensor as they are really pushing the current sensor to it's max. And the CAF needs to get a bit better to be able to match a pro dslr like the d700 or 1d or the e5.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm not sure what a "pro" camera is. My own personal holy grail is a Pen (or gf) form with a Sony Nex type and quality screen and GH2 operating and AF speed (and accuracy). Whoever can do that first gets my next m43 dollar. Is that "pro"?
-Ray

No I'm not sure what it means either. Olympus are talking about a Pen. It seems they are indicating their E-5 successor will be based on that. EVF etc.

I've never been sure what a "pro" m4/3 camera would entail. I use my GH2 as one of the cameras that I earn my living with. I guess that makes it a 'pro" camera as far as I'm concerned.

Fuji seem keen to brand the X100 as a "professional" camera but it's obviously not an alternative to a Canon 1DMkIII.

I'm less concerned with how manufacturers choose to describe their products and more concerned with how they fit in with my way of working. If Olympus or Panasonic never come out with a "pro" m4/3 camera then I wouldn't be that concerned. I choose the cameras I use from what's available, and let others label them however they want.

hendrik78m

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info. I almost devote my self to the E system after i sold all my crop sensor Nikon. I guess my next camera should be Nikon full frame :p

oceans

Mu-43 Regular
Will more than likely be using a 1-1.5 crop factor mirrorless by then. With fine ergonomics and fine UI.

Olympus, was it. Does bring to mind the E-P2 I bought last weekend. What a let down, P&S-ish thingy that was to try to work with.

Latest threads

Top Bottom