PEN or OM-D touch screen, do you use it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dav1dz, Jul 28, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I'm contemplating with disabling the touch screen on my camera. When it's on a neck strap, I would bump into the touch screen and inadvertently change AF points or trigger the shutter. Anyone else annoyed with this minor inconvenience?

#firstworldproblem

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I use it to quickly set AF points. And to turn on Wi-Fi on my EP5, because the button is most convenient on the touch screen. Otherwise, no.

3. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great on a tripod! Touch to focus and take shot with 2 sec timer. Less handy for handholding and walking around. Touch is handy for selecting SCP items.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Occasionally I'll use it to set focus points. But usually I don't bother with the touch screen at all. I imagine if I used a tripod more often, then I would use the touch screen more often.

5. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    It comes in handy so i touch the icons on the lower left to turn it on and off.

6. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I used a lot with PM2 to "point and shoot", but somehow not so much with E-P5. Strange. Maybe it is something to do with weight, measures and grip difference between these two.

7. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I never thought I'd use it, but find I use it quite often on my E-M5. It's great for making sure I get the focus point exactly where I want it.

As for accidently triggering it while it's hanging on my neck, I rarely have that happen. However, that means the EVF is active so there's probably a battery hit there somewhere.

Also, if I don't want it, I just use the touch control to toggle between off/AF only/AF and release.

I think I'd miss it if I didn't have it on subsequent cameras.

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It actually works great on my E-M5, I just hardly ever remember to use it.

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    On Play I swipe and zoom usually.
    With the SCP it is mostly ok to pick one of the buttons. My fat fingers miss too often though.

10. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    On Play I swipe and zoom usually.
    With the SCP it is mostly ok to pick one of the buttons. My fat fingers miss too often though.

11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Another vote for tripod use of the touch screen. But in general I don't use it often. I usually switch the camera off between shots, so I am not bothered by accidental touching.

12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I tried the touch screen for a short time and didn't care for due to having to stare at the screen in the heat of a shoot. Not crazy about a dirty screen either. After a few weeks of use I could use most of the buttons by touch and keep my eye on the EVF/target.

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I actually use it a lot. In order for me to avoid those accidental changes in settings, I have set the camera to not switch between VF and Screen automatically.

I only ever open/use the Touch screen when I want to change some settings... It is also very easy to change the small focus point this way.

It is also very very handy if I am with friends, as I just tell them to point (at the LCD) and the camera will focus and shoot automatically. It's way more interactive and I don't even have to change my focus button since I have it set up as back button focusing.

14. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    "Mysets" may help

You may want to consider using a "Myset" with the touch screen enabled and disable it it for standard use. After you have the "Myset" configured, assign the Myset to a mode dial position that you tend to never use like possibly the "P." That way you can quickly access the enabled touch screen for those times when you do want to use it.

For instance...
    Set your camera at the most common settings you use. For me, I would set the ISO to 200, Muted, Large/Fine JPEG plus RAW, Face recognition on with "focus on near eye", Touch Screen On, and so on...Save the current configuration to Myset 4. Assign the Myset 4 to the "P" on the mode dial. Done!

In practice, I love the touch screen and use it all the time on my E-P5. I do assign the Mysets to specific mode dial positions so I can quickly use my baseline Monochrome settings and my favorite starting configuration for aperture priority. That way I always know that when I turn my mode dial to "A" that I am set in very precise starting position. I am not left just hoping I had IBIS turned on and my ISO at 200 and not at the last high ISO setting I needed to use for the pictures I captured at last night's outdoor BBQ.

Sorry to veer so far off course with my blah-blah...I just love the touch screen and the ability to assign mysets to buttons or the mode dial. :biggrin:
    Dan

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Nope.

Sometimes used for reviewing a shot to check settings, more often for menu changes, never used for touch screen.

I use the EVF nearly exclusively.

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Yes, quite often

It's a fast way to set the small focus point, simply touch in the screen where you want to focus and the focus box will become smaller

Enviado desde mi Lenovo A820 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

17. The touch focus/shutter is probably one of the best innovations to be added to cameras in recent years. The only annoyance that I have found in the last few months that when it's hot, humid, you're wearing a t-shirt, and you're sweating, the touchscreen is sensitive enough that it can trigger when the camera is around your neck and bouncing against your stomach.

Despite that small issue, I would be reluctant to purchase another new camera that didn't have a touchscreen.

18. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I use the touchscreen on my E-M5 all the time. I use the SCP to make most adjustments and only dive into the menus if I absolutely have to. I also use touch-focus frequently when I'm using a tripod.

I think the touchscreen is a great feature and would miss it if my next camera didn't have this feature.

BTW - I use a wriststrap rather than a neck strap, so accidental activation of the touchscreen isn't an issue for me.

19. Michael in China

Michael in China Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2012
    Zhuhai China
    Michael
    I also use it for setting focus.

Dalton, I like your advice on settings. Thanks.

20. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

While shooting with the E-M5, I usually only use it when I'm working on a tripod - then I find the touch-to-focus & shoot feature very useful, and especially for long exposures and/or astro work. I don't do a lot of settings changes with it.

But I do use it a lot when I'm reviewing shots and especially when I'm showing them to others. It's so nice to be able to pinch zoom and swipe between photos the same way I can on my Android devices. Much faster/easier than via the dials.