1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pen firmware update

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Boyzo, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    just minutes ago updated the E-P2 and the PL1 to v1.1 with the update software.

It went (Slowly) without a Hitch .... focus is better :biggrin:

Initially the software shows a rotating series of dots (Takes awhile) ... busy server at Oly and the LCD remains blank .. then after a while large icons appear on the LCD .. Step thru' the software <next> be patient READ the Oly software
    messages.You will get a happy Ok on the LCD

Finally when instructed disconnect the cable switch of the camera then ON
    And shoot FASTER :biggrin:

Oly did a good job but I leave objective comments from the lab guys here :wink:

Pens Rock !!!:biggrin:

ps. just tried the 14-140 (The fastest AF m43 lens) with the E-P2 and its very fast

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I just did the Pen 1 & 2 and there's a difference...it's a pretty site I tell ya....
    In low light there is a marked improvement...
    will test better tomorrow...
    shooter

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I just updated the Pen 1 and Pen 2. I much prefer to update this way than using the memory card like with past cameras, simple and easy. It's interesting that so many hate this method, yet that's exactly how we update our computers, mobile phones, GPS units, software etc. Why the angst with a camera? :confused:

AF on the Pen 1 is definitely faster and locks on much better in dim condiitons than before, using the 14-42mm. My manual lenses show no change. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. jojo130130

jojo130130 New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2010
    I just updated my Pen1 and autofocus with the 20 1.7 is markedly faster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Just updated my E-P1. Went without a hitch. AF noticeably faster with Lumix 20mm.

Cheers,

Antonio

6. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    Besides the noticible quicker AF, if your using the EVF being able to go thru the menu using the LCD is a big plus. No more toggling between EVF and LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JeremyT

JeremyT New to Mu-43

Apr 22, 2010
    I've owned my E-P2 for all of 2 days, so this is a really nice surprise for me :) The AF improvement is real and obvious.

On the other hand I was kind of digging menus in the EVF. Is there a way to bring back the old behavior with that? I didn't notice a menu option for it.

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Does the EP still accept non Oly batteries after the update?

9. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hidefguy

hidefguy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 10, 2010
    I guess it's the opposite now, click the button to toggle the menu to EVF.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Gotta say, I absolutely hate the fact that image review now comes up first on the main screen rather than the viewfinder. I have to wonder what the programming knobs were thinking. I can review in the EVF without my glasses and now I have to add an extra step just so that I can view in the EVF.

Don't fix what's not broken!!!! :mad:

Cheers

Ray

12. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
  13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I would actually LIKE to have the image review on the main screen, but it still comes up in the EVF. This is on the E-Pl1 - is that supposed to behave differently than the P1 or P2 in this regard?

-Ray

14. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Clarification - when I have the camera set to review each shot after I shoot it, it comes up in the EVF. When I have the evf on and then hit the review button for a more extended review, THEN it comes up on the larger screen. Is that what others are seeing, or is your immediate post-shot 'review' coming up on the larger screen when you're using the evf?

I rarely use the post shot review anyway, so I don't know why I'm asking. Just curious if mine is working the way its supposed to I guess.

-Ray

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Prior to the update, if you were in EVF mode and pressed image review, the review would come up in the EVF. Now, if you are in EVF mode and press the image review button, the image comes up in the main screen by default and you need to press the EVF button to see it in the EVF. A bit of a bummer for those who wear glasses and like to rely on the EVF and dioptre adjustment, and keep the glasses aside. Pity some don't realise the benefits to those who need galsses for close viewing.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Got it, yeah mine is doing the same thing. I guess I thought it meant that the automatic post-shot review image also came up in the main screen, which it doesn't - comes up in the evf. I almost never use that "feature" anyway - slows things down quite a bit. But I get your complaint. Oh well, one more button to push!

-Ray

17. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Because it's OS-specific...can't do it on Linux! So I gotta go power up my desktop machine. No big deal, of course, but I think it's simpler to just drag a file onto the card.

18. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Me, I think that if you are working with the VF, it is the VF for data and review too, and hope they have added a preference too. If not, they have changed something unespectedly, disconcerting people already used to a procedure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    OMG this firmware update has improved autofocus so much that it's also able to focus my manual voigtlander lens!

Kidding aside, I'm sorry but I really like the image review implementation. I don't wear glasses though. I've yet to try out the autofocus. Really happy for this :)

20. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Ray, I for totally agree with your points as I wear reading glasses for the most part. I would add that the other benefit to being able to review in the EVF was that often in bright outside conditions the LCD is almost impossible to see. As there are times I will prefer the new method of review, perhaps the perfect solution would have been to give the user the choice to have it one way or the other through a menu option. Maybe if enough users feel that way, Olympus might go that way on a future revision.

• Like Like x 1