Pen-F with Panasonic 12-32 - Lens and IS settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have only ever used Olympus lenses so find I am unsure about the best settings with the Panasonic 12-32 lens. My initial tests show IS not seeming to work well, with blurred shots at 1/60.

1. In Menu C should I have Lens IS Priority on or off. Is this setting even relevant to Panasonic lenses? Initially I had this OFF. If it is ON, does that turn off the camera's IS? I'm guessing I should leave it Off?

2. In Menu K, do the Lens Info Settings have anything to do with IS? If they do, what should I set it to 12mm or 18mm or 32mm?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 12-32 doesn't have in lens stabilization, so the Lens IS Priority setting has no effect. The Menu K, do the Lens Info Settings only pertain to lenses which do not have electronics that pass lens info to the body. The Pen F will get all the lens info from the lens.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    But it says MEGA OIS on the front of the lens?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Check out this handy chart, I refer to this web site often. The author is perhaps a member here but I'm not sure.
    Stabilisation Rules

Between this particular camera and lens, if I had to guess I would say the in-body stabilization is preferred. So if you turn off lens-priority, it should use only the in-body mode. If you enable lens priority it will only use the lens for stabilization. In the more modern cameras, which you own, it's no longer possible for the lens and body stabilization to conflict with one another.

If you're still getting blurry shots a 1/60 I suspect you have not enabled 0-second anti-shock. 1/60 is in the range of shutter speeds where this can be a problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    it does. The problem lies elsewhere.
    Sorry @Growltiger@Growltiger , I have no idea about Olympus bodies

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Since the OIS in the lens cannot be switched off, I have Lens Priority ON for using the 12-32 on my E-M10. Also, the lens communicates its focal length to the camera, so the focal length setting has no impact.

The OIS seems good enough to me. Here is an example at 1/13s.
    PA146160.JPG

And one at 1/5s
    PA146171.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    As someone who has used the lens with O.I.S., I can definitely say that this is plain wrong. The 12-32mm does have O.I.S., and it works pretty effectively on an Olympus body (on the how, see below). I also have used it on a GF1 which doesn't offer any kind of I.S. otherwise, and the difference between switching the O.I.S. on and off are pretty remarkable.

As to the OP's questions:
    1: You can try Lens I.S. priority - but I'd rather switch I.B.I.S. off (see below for an explanation) and use the O.I.S.
    2. No, as stated above, the settings don't have any effect as long as an electronically controlled and connected lens is used. If you were to use a non-chipped lens (like Samyang or Laowa lenses), the settings would matter.

The problem (and probably the reason behind the blurred shots) is that you *cannot* switch off the O.I.S. on an Olympus body because the menu system doesn't offer that option*, and, crucially, there's no "Dual I.S." option when using any Panasonic lens on Olympus bodies. Instead, the two I.S. systems are working "against each other" (somewhat akin to the unwanted effects you may get when shooting high shutter speeds with I.S. on - if I.S. can't keep up with your working speed, you'll get double images), sometimes - though probably not consistently - causing blur and/or double images.

So, you *can* try to prioritise I.B.I.S., but I doubt it'll work as intended - still worth a try because things may have evolved since I last tried it. You absolutely *can* switch off I.B.I.S., however, and only work with the (always on) O.I.S.; that's what I did when I used the 12-32mm on the E-PM1 which, admittedly, had a pretty mediocre I.B.I.S. system, so no loss there. It did work very well - the O.I.S. system Panasonic deployed in the 12-32mm is quite reliable and effective (1/15s at 32mm wasn't a problem at all; I did get good shots at 1/8s, but not 100% - so 2.5 stops, maybe 3, and that was on a rather small and light (hence, shaky) body).

M.

*Though I may miss something here because I don't own any of the latest Olympus bodies - I'd love to be corrected on this count because it would essentially annihilate the problem. That'd be great!

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Thanks, but I don't quite understand.
    Surely if I set Lens IS priority ON, when that lens is fitted then IBIS will be switched off automatically?
    And when I fit an Olympus lens IBIS will be on?

9. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    That is my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's my experience too. I have a Pen F and the 12-32 - I'll give it a try later.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use this combo quite often. There are 2 things I have done to give me excellent image quality.

1) I setup my PEN-F to only use the IBIS, and not the lens OIS.
    2) I always make sure to have anti-shock mode turned on. I've found that quite a few of the Panasonic bodies show shutter shock effects on images when used on the PEN-F and the EM5.2.

12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I always have it set to anti-shock 0 secs.

I just tried a test going from 1/60 to 1/2, with Lens IS priority ON, and then again with it OFF.
    I don't think I can see much difference. IS works well down to 1/4 but 1/2 is blurred, in both cases.
    In both cases it isn't 100%, some shots even at 1/60 or 1/30 or 1/15 are not perfect. But this could be down to excessive trembling by my hands.

@gryphon1911@gryphon1911: "1) I setup my PEN-F to only use the IBIS, and not the lens OIS." This appears to be impossible according to posts above, since the Olympus has no way to turn OIS off?

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Agreed. That's what I had to do. I had my PM2 set for Lens Priority OFF and I couldn't figure out why my slower speed shots were so blurry when I figured IBIS would take care of any shake. It was weird because some of the shots that shouldn't have been blurred (like at 1/60 or higher) were blurred, while some at lower (1/15) were OK. The blur wasn't due to my motion, it was a conflict between the Mega OIS and the IBIS. Since the OIS in the lens can't be turned off (there's no switch), I had to turn off the IBIS by setting Lens Priority ON. Then the conflict ended and I could get good shots. Ditto with the Pana 35-100 f4-5.6. So, I set all my Olympuses to Lens Priority ON. Since those two lenses were the only Pana lenses I have with no switch to turn OIS off, this setting takes care of them.

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I don't agree. The 12-32 (and Pana 35-100 f4-5.6 - I have both) has Mega OIS that cannot be turned off. It's always on. And, if you don't turn off IBIS for these lenses by setting Lens Priority ON, you'll get a conflict. Happened to me. See my other post.

15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I just tried my Pen-F with the 12-32 and observed the following:

- Lens IS Priority is definitely effective. When I turn it ON, the IBIS is obviously disabled. I can tell this since: (a) the IBIS "hiss" during composing is significantly reduced; and (b) the stability of the image in the EVF view significantly degrades compared to when it's ON.

- It's hard to know what the lens IS is doing when IBIS is enabled. If I put my ear to the lens, it's clear that there is some sort of electro-mechanical noise - but the noise doesn't change whether lens IS priority is on or off. Of course, even when IS is inactive, there would be noise just to keep the IS compensator lens elements fixed.

- I tried shooting 10 shots each using the 12-32 at 12mm at 0.5 sec, with lens IS priority on and off and then again with the Oly 12mm f2 (no lens IS). This is what I got:

Oly 12mm, IBIS Off - 1/10 critically sharp, 1/10 slightly blurred, 8/10 badly blurred
    Oly 12mm, IBIS on - 10/10 critically sharp (hey - IBIS works!!)
    12-32, Lens IS Priority Off - 9/10 critically sharp, 1/10 slightly blurred
    12-32, Lens IS Priority On - 6/10 critically sharp, 4/10 slightly blurred

I don't think much conclusion can be drawn from the 10/10 on the Oly 12mm vs the 9/10 on the 12-32. The sample size is too small to be meaningful.

On this basis, it seems to me that:

1) Lens Priority works and does what it says on the tin

2) IBIS performance is pretty much the same (and very good) on both the Oly 12mm and the 12-32. This tells me that there isn't a "fight" between the IBIS and the lens IS

3) Lens IS alone is weaker than IBIS (at least at 12mm).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh, I'll just add that I used electronic shutter to avoid any potential shutter shock issues (although at 0.5s I'd be surprised if it matters).

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Surely you have those the wrong way around? Didn't you say Lens IS Priority should be ON to make IBIS turn OFF when there is the 12-32 fitted?

And several people have said you can't turn the lens IS off.

18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    BTW - I found this from the E-M1ii manual:

6e23f7a6a6354db39af3a5cc6fb4f40e.

Olympus confirm that if Lens IS Priority is set to ON then the Lens's IS will take priority AND that applies to lenses without a switch (like the 12-32). Interestingly, if the lens has a switch, then that takes priority over the Lens IS Priority setting. Confused? You will be!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No, that's right.

Lens IS Priority Off = IBIS on, lens IS off. Better stabilisation
    Lens IS Priority On = IBIS off, lens IS on. Slightly worse stabilisation

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's just wrong. Both my testing and the Olympus manual say otherwise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.