Shootout Pen-F vs Sony A7RII - A Week in Cuba With Both

Real Name
Rob Faucher
Night shots taken with the Sony A7 RII + Rokinon 14mm f2.8 at our resort in Varadero. Full moon and lots of light pollution. No milky way for me. Other night shots on my blog. www.robfaucher.com

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Rob Faucher

For comparison to the Pen-F, here are some photos and a video taken in Cuba with the Sony A7RII - see the link below. The video is not the best, but it was run and gun from inside a taxi.

I like the images from the Sony, but the video features underwhelmed me. Guess I've been spoiled with the Lumix G9. The A7RII's shake reduction was not up to the task of a very bouncy car ride. Another issue was the focus. The Sony defaults to CAF in dedicated video mode, there appears to be no default SAF mode. You can also engage tracking in video mode, but without a subject to lock on it's no good. I guess Sony figured if you are doing SAF, you may as well use manual focus. In hindsight, I should have focused manually before attempting to shoot through a car windshield. The CAF would get tricked by the glare and reflections.

In fairness to the A7RII, I shot other videos on the street corners of Havana and they came out really good. When you work within the camera's limits, it can produce some excellent quality 4K video. I'm not a videographer and don't want to use some big-assed video rig in a cage, so that's why I can recommend the G9 and it's outstanding IBIS as a good run and gun system for the casual video shooter.

IMHO Pany and Oly have a better single focus implementation when you don't need CAF in video mode. Their default is SAF and one can lock focus before the record button is pressed. On the G9 you can also press the shutter button to refocus while recording which is a nice feature. That said, the Sony would normally beat them for CAF and tracking in video, but that assumes you ain't trying to shoot through a moving car window. Lessons learned.

http://www.robfaucher.com/march-21-2019-en-route-to-havana/

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom