Pen F vs Fuji X100F

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Gromit, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Gromit

Gromit Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    I've been a long-time fan of the Fuji X cameras. There, I've said it (phew!). The little X100 which I bought back in 2012 converted me - almost overnight - to a world away from DSLR's. I had been a C***n man for quite a while, and even with an assortment of lenses the X100 just hammered home to me (and the nails in the C***n's coffin) what a good, simple, high quality camera can give.

Since then, I've owned the 100S, 100T, X-Pro1 & 2. That was until the point when I gave in and scratched the itch which was the OM-D E-M1. I now have the Pen F as well and love this utterly beautiful little beast of a camera.

Still, I still have a candle lit for the X100 so yesterday I paid a visit to my local photographic dealer in Lincoln. I know the guys well (they've performed regular surgery on my open wallet) so they gave me half an hour or so to have a play with the X100F. I'm not going to say much more (to your relief I'm sure) but will post a couple of pictures I took with both the F and the Pen F. Lens was P20-1.7 on the Pen, all un-touched sooc jpegs. Only bummer is that I'd left the curves on the Pen at -1/+1 shadow/hi which makes the Pen's colours a little washed in the outdoor photo. Please take a look anyway...

27867109159_52e5093d7f_h. Test 1 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

24776451137_175ed672ce_h. Test 2 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

25773513518_49bb1e7c9d_h. Test 3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

38748586635_e7fbc99e66_h. Test 4 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

With its super-duper 24MP APS-C sensor I had expected the Fuji to look better but was surprised - shocked even - how damn well the Pen F held its own.

• Like Like x 3
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    All the best of luck with the Fuji. Curious to hear your thoughts after you've run it through some more paces.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Gromit

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    Thanks Andrew - I haven't actually bought the Fuji (yet!) but was certainly very tempted*. I know the other X100* cameras well, but by all accounts the F is a major leap in performance. Sure, the AF is quick - a lot snappier than I remember my 100T being - but the 23mm lens is still soft at f2/2.8. The Panny 20 is sharper at f1.7 than the Fuji is at f4 for example. What the Fuji gains in low light/high ISO performance, it loses in having soft glass at wide apertures.

I've become slightly evangelical in my enthusiasm for the Pen F since buying it but still have a hankering for another X100.

*Despite the above comments, I still think I'll go for the 100F - got the weekend to sleep on the idea anyway. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The PEN-F has a special place in my heart as well. It is a special kind of camera that is more than the sum of it's parts. Best of luck in whatever decision you make on the Fuji.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    With out knowing what cam took what, I liked the Pen-F in both of those examples which also surprised me given all I hear about the Fuji's. At the end of the day they are both awesome cameras in the right hands. Thanks for the comparison.

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I got the Pen F and find it a great little pixel grabber. The M5-II used to do that for me,but I now set it on some kind of art filter and raw,for every shot. Quite fun.
    Handling is a little tricky with bigger lenses,but the 12-100 Pro F-4 paired with could be all purpose,really.

7. Gromit

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    Thank you for entering into the spirit of this and looking at the photos without first checking the camera - always the best method imho. :) 

I'm with DrDave on the art filter & raw. My Pen F is set to either colour or mono profile (with tweaks I've found on the www) on the front plus a raw in the tank as back-up.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yeah... not much of a difference in these. In my experience, Fuji reveals its magic when photographing people. Portraits are just lovely out of camera and the LR camera calibration presets are actually pretty good unlike those for Olympus :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gromit

Mar 27, 2017
    Lincoln UK
    Richard
    Agreed - in fact the shots taken just after getting my X100 back in 2012 were of people where I was blown away by the skintones and rendering of faces. Quite special.

Mr Rockwell often cites Fuji as being better for pictures of 'people rather than things'. For once I actually agree with him. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.