1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pen-F Version 2.0 Firmware

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, May 8, 2017.

1. CCE

CCE Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Hi @Atom Ant@Atom Ant
    Unfortunatelly it is not the battery or the memory card.
    Durring the issue the camera is still on. You can tell that if you do not remove the battery and observe the issue. The camera will slowly get warmer on the thumb rest area and the lcd screen area.
    If you are in a quiet room and bring the camera to your ear you can hear the faint white noise that the camera is making during normal operation.
    Through my testing, the issue occured twice without having the memory card in the camera.

2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I am now in Europe with my Pen F and have encountered the lock-up and heat issues. Have to constantly turn it off, remove battery, then it works a few shots and repeats lock-up. I had taken a few shots after updating to see if it worked before traveling, but not enough to find the problem before leaving. A huge PITA, but I am becoming very proficient at the process- what's the old saying "...rinse, repeat"

3. Ranger Rick

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    In touch with Olympus tech by email. Tried several approaches, may have found the/some-of the problem. They suggested using different card from the one in the camera at update time; a different lens (Oly 12-40 was on camera, also used Pany 7-14); a different (OEM) battery: all still had the problem. The one thing which seems to have the camera working again is to leave the screen facing out. By doing that, all works "normally" over an hour of shooting. Closing the screen immediately returns the problem.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I much prefer the screen closed. I wont be updating to 2.0 until this issue is resolved.

5. Alan Thompson

Alan Thompson New to Mu-43

May 26, 2017
    Yes there is a problem with firmware 2. My Pen f was sent to Portugal to the factory for exactly this problem. It came back and still has the same problem. I spoke to Olympus yesterday who now agree there is a problem with firmware 2. A temporary solution they gave me over the phone is as follows. Go to shooting menu 1 and reset with a full reset not a basic one. Then go to cogs menu k and make sure quick sleep mode is turned off. This seems to have cleared the problem. I assume they will eventually bring out an update to the firmware.

6. CCE

CCE Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Hi @Alan Thompson@Alan Thompson,

Could you share with us what was stated in your service repair report by the Olympus service technician ?
    My camera is also sent to repair and expecting it to return next week.
    I have seen the issue occurring on my camera even after a full reset and with the Quick Sleep option disabled.

Thank you!

7. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  8. CCE

CCE Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Hi @barry13@barry13 ,

Thank you for sharing.
    I am quite curious how come after updating to firmware 2.0 some users do not experience the issue while most of us do.
    Could there be a hardware revision difference between our cameras?

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I don't know... it's certainly possible.

There are debug screens on Oly cameras which show shutter count, etc... probably one of the numbers is the hardware revision:

(see the screens at 0:50- )
    a list of the fields on page 2 is at Checking Shutter count on your E-P1 and E-P2

There may be another page with hardware info; not sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Probably because there's a bug in some particular feature which some people use and others don't. There is talk that it's related to having the screen turned in. I personally never use the camera like that so if it's really the cause then I won't see it.

11. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Anyone who has done the upgrade and doesn't want or need to use the screen, leave it turned out and instead manually switch to the EVF so that the screen goes dark. It's not the same as turning the screen in, but it might circumvent the problem until Olympus issues a firmware fix.

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    On my E-M1, the first debug screen shows
    H: Ver .B210

That might be the hardware revision.

13. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    I took mine to V2.0 and initially I had the blacked out screen but then it seemed to clear. However I left it as it was thinking I would update later, however I noticed that the touch screen for taking a photo (Section K) would not work irrespective if it was turned on or off.
    Therefore I used the Barry13 suggestion of taking it back to version 1.1.
    Worked quickly and with no problems.
    Touch screen image taking now works as advertised and Im putting my settings in order again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CCE

CCE Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Soon I will find out what they did to fix mine.
    The camera is expected to return from repair around middle of next week.
    I will be disappointed if the service report will list instructions on how to no use certain features to alleviate the issue, or if the firmware was rolled back to version 1.1.
    After all these forum reports and cameras being sent to repair it seems strange that Olympus still has the PEN-F firmware 2.0 available for download on all their different regions websites.
    And ofcourse there is no Olympus service announcement related to a bug in firmware 2.0 for PEN-F.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  15. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2010
    norway
    Aha, I have not seen this discussed before. This explains a lot & may even provide an excuse for Olympus to produce a useful firmware update.

My PenF often occasionally stopped working after updating Battery out&in again solved it temporarily. Not too much of a problem if photographing stationary subjects with predictable light, but very annoying otherwise. Then it started emptying the battery while overheating. Not wanting a lithium battery fire, last week I turned it in for service. Still there.

I do not use the rear screen and try to turn off most knobs, so I had hoped that the firmware update would include a way to turn off the pesky "wheel" that moves the spot-meter field when you grab the camera. (If using autofocus lenses it also moves the focus spot so that focus+recompose becomes impossible).

If Olympus insists on not enabling an "off" mode while having all manners of buttons on their cameras, they might perhaps put out a "dumbed down" version of the Pen F. Permanent RAW+ jpeg, No Wifi, No filming ability, no colourspectacle wheel, no rear screen, but instead have a lockable exposure adjustment wheel, a menu for setting auto- ISOlimits and use a lockable front wheel for setting high resolution mode. An enlarged focussing image, but just in the center, when using manual optics would be excellent. If they fear losing money on this dumbed down knobless version, they should still be able to sell it cheaper than one of the real Leica M versions while being able to compete with its results..

p.

16. DocZZZ

DocZZZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2017
    Tried this last night, was quite temporary because today I took it out shooting in Hong Kong and it froze up again.

While I understand you can just opt to turn the LCD completely off and just keep it open, Im more of in the "I want it closed as a protective measure". One of the reasons why I bought the Pen f was because I could close the screen and protect it from scratches.

What worked temporarily for me was actually turning "quick sleep" on. With it off and the screen inwards it would freeze up maybe 8/10. But with the quick sleep(very quick indeed it's usually within 10 seconds) on, I noticed that the quick sleep would come into effect before the camera had the chance to freeze. It still occurred of course but significantly less.

17. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    I really do recommend going back to version 1.1 and waiting until they come up with an update.
    Just don't like the idea of run-a-way heat in the Pen F

18. Ranger Rick

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I had thought turning the screen outward yesterday had at least temporarily solved the lockup issue, but today I am encountering it repeatedly, despite the screen facing out. So back to square one

19. CCE

CCE Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Hi @DocZZZ@DocZZZ
    For me it was the same.
    Having the issue with or without the Quick Sleep active.
    I remember you were saying a while ago that you'll get your PEN-F to the Olympus Service in Hong Kong.
    Could you please share with us the outcome of the visit to the repair center?
    Did they attempt to repair the camera or acknowleged the firmware bug?

Thank you!

20. DocZZZ

DocZZZ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2017
    yep, i brought it in later that day. they said they haven't experienced this issue at their office so far. i didn't leave them my camera to let them do tests, since i was on vacation and wanted to have it with me either way, so they said they'd try to replicate it on one of their cameras. got an email a few days ago saying they weren't able to replicate it but would communicate with other service centres pertaining the issue. now awaiting their followup hoping other service centres are on this issue as well. i also forwarded them this forum as well as dpreview where theres quite a few users who are experiencing this as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.