Pen F Tri-X settings question.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by So Thankful, Feb 9, 2016.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Does anyone know what settings Olympus used to get the Tri-X mode in the Pen F?
    I would like to try and emulate it in my E-M5 MK II and E-M5 cameras.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    From what I have gleaned, it may not be possible to get exactly the same results. The pen F has multiple levels of grain, contrast, shading and more available color filters with levels of intensity.

That being said, there may be a combination on the other models that is close.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I was thinking that may be the case.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Unfortunately I don't use Adobe programs. I have had MAJOR issues with them so I switched to ACDSee.

Sent from my XT1254 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Steve Huff called it "monochrome -> mode II" and I think it is Pen-F only.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/01/26/the-new-olympus-pen-f-camera-review-just-wow/

On the E-M10 could be similar to Art5 (grainy film) -> Mode 1 or 2 or Art10 (Dramatic) -> Mode 2. Then you can tune it with Shadows&Highlights curve.
    To customize a mode you need to go in Art mode but later you can select it from the SCP with the last customization.

Or even the simple "Monotone" mode with Shadows&Highlights tuning plus contrast and B&W filter from the SCP.

Thanks for the post, it was fun to experiment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    yeah, it's a new processing mode with a little extra control.

Still, you can get close to it with your current machine.

Put 'er in Monotone. Contrast: +1, Shadow/Highlight: -2/+1, Sharpness: -1 (I find the builtin jpeg compression a little harsh), Gradation: Low-key.

Try it out, I find it does a pretty good job of high contrast, heavy darks similar to a tri-x or ilford delta.

24747148431_3163344458_z.
    curious feline

• Like Like x 8
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've also seen people recommend the following for High-contrast Mono:
    Mono mode, Contrast+2, Shadow-1, Gradation: low key

• Like Like x 2
  9. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    yeah, likely pretty similar. I think the key here is, Low Key. (get it? I'm leaving now.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Thanks everybody for the tips. I will play around with it and see what I can come up with.

11. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    It may also be the extra detail (even if only slight) of the 20mp sensor that adds to the look. I was reading that the new Fuji sensor is what allowed them to develop "Acros" simulation where it didn't work with the 16mp sensor.

Either way, i cant wait to see Pen F mono samples from new owners. You can get great results from current Oly's, so if the F is even better.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I have basically this (except sharp at +1 and overlaid with an orange filter ) assigned to myset1 on my em1 for casual outdoor mono shots. Of course, the tone curve setting doesnt save, you have to adjust that each time which is somewhat annoying.

13. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Here's a snapshot of monochrome II with different color filters (processed with OV3 v2.0 beta), no shading, no Highlights/Shadows control, no grains. Just to give a feel. With a preproduction sample Pen F. While I can't really advice on getting TriX as I don't really shoot film, hope the below and also the amount of customization (color filters, 3 grains levels, shadows & highlights) will allow you to have something close to your taste. Hope this helps

24669103335_d54a697d62_h.

And here's the same jpeg file in color (post processed).

24622649426_6a0dbd3385_h.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Great post

15. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Whadya mean the tone curve doesn't save? I have a similar setup (mentioned in my post above) saved to MySet 2. It absolutely saves the tone curve.

Try saving it again?

16. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    You're right! Thats bizarre. For the last month ive been entering the curve when needed, lol. I must have saved it in default curve without knowing and assumed it wasnt saveable.

......... Butts head against wall........

• Like Like x 1
  17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I also noticed that WB makes a lot of difference on the B&W results. Color creator mode, with zero saturation, does too, but the difference is really small.

Another option to get a B&W in camera is to use in-camera RAW development. You have custom 1 and custom 2 to save and reuse customized settings. You can update the preview with the Rec button.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    There are plenty of alternatives to Adobe stuff. I prefer to do this sort of thing in PP, as you have time to choose the type, and all the settings. If you install Gimp and it's amazing G'MIC plug in, you'll find a great choice of filters to suit all sorts of preferences. And it doesn't cost anything.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    What is "Gimp"?

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California