Pen F Solves Sunglass Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gary0319, Aug 13, 2016.

1. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Every EVF I've ever used, including all my previous Olympus and Panasonic bodies has become unusable when wearing polarized sunglasses.........

But, today I forgot to take my sunglasses off when using my Pen F at the beach and WHAT...WHOA.........No Problem. I had my wife check it also and same for her sunglasses.
    Also, no problem with the LCD either.

My question is, what makes this huge difference with the Pen EVF?
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess it's using an OLED panel rather than an LCD.
  3. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    They probably simply used non polarized glass. The PEN F is certainly a very well thought camera, more than they advertise.
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There's several reasons for this, one would be the use of an IPS panel, the other is using different optics.

The IPS panel doesn't black out completely with a polarizer by design (it has two polarizers at different orientations for different pixels).
    The optics used are glass rather than plastic, the glass doesn't show the latent stress caused by the hot mold technique which show up when you're using a polarizer. An example would be using a polarizer and looking through clear perspex, polystyrene ('crystal' cd cases), or other acrylic - it will show up as a rainbow pattern showing internal stress in the plastic. This can occur with molded plastic lenses as well).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1